I like the way Buck is using Britton in the 8th inning this year

Frobby

I just watched Buck's postgame interview.

Thorne: Did you have any hesitation bringing Britton in during the 8th inning.

Buck: Me? That was John. I wasn't allowed to manage, remember?

Thorne: (barely is able to stifle audible laughter)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd feel better about it if I thought it was part of an overall change in strategy and not done out of desperation.

Desperation? In 1977 that was called pitching! Get ready for more of this when they put a 10-man limit on number of pitchers you can carry. Yes, that's more of a wishful fantasy but if they want to quicken the pace and bump up runs...

Buck went to Britton in the 8th tonight, with one out and two on, and Zach got it done once again. Lovin' it!

I was surprised O'Day didn't start the 8th. Britton threw around 30 pitches tonight. He did a great job, but probably will not be available tomorrow.

I was surprised O'Day didn't start the 8th. Britton threw around 30 pitches tonight. He did a great job, but probably will not be available tomorrow.

But O'Day will be ready. And Brach. And Tommy.

I'm pretty sure Buck made this quote tonight post-game...

We're good tomorrow...

I'm a big fan of he move buck made tonight. We needed a lefty. Oday wasn't a good 8th inning matchup. I'd rather lose the game with Britton rather than letting another pitcher come in for that spot. It might be time to see what givens has for late game situations.

This exactly. Ortiz was the key guy. You don't bring in O'Day to face him, and we don't have Matusz. Don't get beat in a 1-0 game on a bad matchup. Go to Zach. If he has any trouble, you have O'Day in your pocket to bail him out. Well played by Buck.

This exactly. Ortiz was the key guy. You don't bring in O'Day to face him, and we don't have Matusz. Don't get beat in a 1-0 game on a bad matchup. Go to Zach. If he has any trouble, you have O'Day in your pocket to bail him out. Well played by Buck.

Sorry, Big Baby isn't a threat right now to double AA pitchers, seriously, what is he batting .167 the last 7 days and .198 the last 28 days.

Sorry, Big Baby isn't a threat right now to double AA pitchers, seriously, what is he batting .167 the last 7 days and .198 the last 28 days.

He had a line drive single his first time up and a well hit shot to the gap that Reimold flagged down his second time up. I'd never take him lightly.

He had a line drive single his first time up and a well hit shot to the gap that Reimold flagged down his second time up. I'd never take him lightly.

True, and that was a nice play of Reimold's, I just really dislike the guy, probably my least favorite player in the entire MLB.

True, and that was a nice play of Reimold's, I just really dislike the guy, probably my least favorite player in the entire MLB.

I also really dislike Ortiz, but I'd never dismiss him. There was a point about five years ago where it looked like he was done. He wasn't. So I won't assume he's done now despite his early struggles.

Archived