Zach Britton is a stud

brianod

It's not rocket science, well maybe for you. Assuming Britton has a good year, what do you do when Britton becomes too expensive for a RP? Any baseball question has variables. Jim Johnson was a 10M closer and we got Weeks in return. I suggest if you trade him it should probably be this winter when he is still affordable and has peak value.

I think I'd throw him about 100 innings this year. If he's both good and healthy after that I just go to arb with him. I could pay ~$7M for one year of a 100-inning closer. Then either trade him in July if '16 looks like a bad year, or just roll with a good reliever until the end of the year and wish him well on his next team. Yes, I realize this isn't a likely outcome.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I'd throw him about 100 innings this year. If he's both good and healthy after that I just go to arb with him. I could pay ~$7M for one year of a 100-inning closer. Then either trade him in July if '16 looks like a bad year, or just roll with a good reliever until the end of the year and wish him well on his next team. Yes, I realize this isn't a likely outcome.

I think thats close to what I said, I would do.

You bring him back, you ride him out for 2015 or trade him, depending on how the team was doing.

I think we have him under control for 3 more years. FA in '19. The last thing I would do is non tender him.

I think we have him under control for 3 more years. FA in '19. The last thing I would do is non tender him.

Hmm... wasn't this his first arb year? Plus he's a super two... so forgive me if I have this mixed up. Does that mean he's a 2nd year arb after this year, then two more after that? So free agent after the '17 season? In any case at $3.2M this year you could expect something like $6-7M next, and escalating from there. At some point a trade/non-tender seems likely. Yea, I believe my original assumption was he was a free agent a year early.

Hmm... wasn't this his first arb year? Plus he's a super two... so forgive me if I have this mixed up. Does that mean he's a 2nd year arb after this year, then two more after that? So free agent after the '17 season? In any case at $3.2M this year you could expect something like $6-7M next, and escalating from there. At some point a trade/non-tender seems likely. Yea, I believe my original assumption was he was a free agent a year early.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nTyNZrzKfRO-9vXJwxY-Ulc11LokEP3Tm2pxomxribE/pub?output=html I'd trade him in the winter. A lights out closer at 5-7 M should bring back something decent.

Archived