Shorebird Donnie Hart is Orioles Minor League Pitcher of the Month for May

DrShorebird

From the Press release

Hart Named Orioles? Minor League Pitcher of the Month

Shorebirds? closer honored after near-perfect May

SALISBURY, Md. -- The Baltimore Orioles have announced their organizational award winners for May, with Shorebirds closer Donnie Hart selected as the Orioles? Minor League Pitcher of the Month. Hart is the first Shorebird to be chosen for an organizational award during the 2015 season.

Hart has been untouchable out of the Shorebirds bullpen all season, having yet to allow a run in his first 16 appearances of the year. The left-hander is a perfect 10-for-10 in save opportunities this year, and he is tied for the most saves in the South Atlantic League.

In the month of May, Hart made nine relief appearances totaling 7.2 scoreless innings. Hart collected one win and five saves in the month while allowing just four hits and two walks. The Fulshear, Tx. native held opposing hitters to a .148 batting average. Hart recorded eight strikeouts in the month, more than his six total baserunners allowed.

As mentioned in another post, the Orioles also named Trey Mancini, a member of the 2014 Shorebirds, as their Minor League Player of the Month. The first baseman recently received a promotion to Double-A Bowie after batting .362 with five home runs in the month of May.

Okay. I guess I have nothing better to do than question why Donnie Hart gets the pitcher of the month for May award over some other guys. Who cares, right?

He pitched 7.2 IP, 4 hits, 0 runs, 2 walks, 8 strikeouts with 5 saves. Nothing against Donnie but did he really deserve it?

Oliver Drake - 9.2 IP, 5 hits, 0 runs, 2 walks, 14 strikeouts, 5 of 5 saves

Mychal Givens - 17 IP, 13 hits, 3 runs, 5 walks, 23 strikeouts, 8 of 8 saves

Does Drake not qualify because he got called up. He's pitching in AAA and matched or beat Hart in every category.

Givens pitched 10 more innings and was arguably just as good if not better.

I didn't even check on any other pitchers. Those two came to mind.

I guess I've got nothing better to do either, because I was wondering the same thing. It certainly would have been nicer to see one of our starting pitching prospects pitch well enough to get the award. For anyone who's seen Hart, does he profile as a LOOGY or something more?

Archived