MLB needs a salary cap

brianod

Baseball is the only major sport without one. It also has a wide disparity of income. I'm fine with setting it above what most teams can afford. But, allowing the Dodgers to have a 240 million payroll is absolutely absurd. The Yanks and Redsox also have been advantaged throughout the last 20 years. So, let's be fair. Set the cap at 175 million and let the lower market teams come up to speed based on inflation and increased revenue. Maybe some of that increased revenue would be the fact that mid and small market fan bases would feel that eventually, they would have an even shot at this.

Before anyone points out that small market teams have been successful, let me preempt you with the fact that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. You give a competent organization more money to spend, that organization will win more. Basic economics. It's time the playing field is leveled and if we have to put up with ten more years of unfairness, so be it.

I want my grandchildren going to games where one team has an even chance against another.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's not so much a blind squirel finding a nut. Give credit to the small market successes. Where it's unfair is they can't afford to miss on players like the Dodgers and the MFY's who enjoy that luxury.

Of course, that's the point. 175 million would allow everyone to adjust for a long time. Nothing dramatic but it would give everyone a light at the end of the tunnel.

Don't see it happening. Everybody is making too much money and there isn't much real fan interest quite frankly.

If there isn't a lot of fan interest, there should be. It's pretty fundamental. Even the playing field eventually and give everyone a chance. Isn't that what competitive sports is all about?

o

The MLB Players Union is the strongest of the 4 unions in North America for major professional team sports (MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL.)

The MLB Players Union is the strongest.

The NFL Players Union is the weakest.

The NBA and NHL Players Unions are somewhere in between.

Rookies in MLB make $500,000 per year.

The average salary is more than $4 Million per year.

A solid player can make $7 or $8 Million per year.

A star player makes between $10 Million and $15 Million per year.

Superstars make between $20 Million and $30 Million a year.

The money is flowing in for everybody involved. The players union is as strong as can be. That combination makes a salary cap in the near future highly unlikely. Perhaps a good idea for the sake of those who would like to see a more level playing field ...... but highly unlikely.

I hear you. Maybe someone should stand up for what is fair and right? Money talks and influences, I'm not naive but the MLB is sticking out like a sore thumb when it comes to fairness.

If there isn't a lot of fan interest, there should be. It's pretty fundamental. Even the playing field eventually and give everyone a chance. Isn't that what competitive sports is all about?

Not disagreeing that I would not like to see a salary cap. I just see no forces wanting to do it between owner and players or any other external force. I think OFFNY summed it up pretty well, I would just add that the fans aren't at all passionate about it. Should they care? I guess they have enough bones, enough competitiveness with the procedures that are in place, and enough other real world problems where it's not an issue for the vast majority of fans.

I know I am tired of seeing the Dodgers and Yankees matchups in the World Series. What has it been three years in a row now?

When you sit down with your family to play monopoly, you all get the same amount of money. There is a reason for that. Now, if you had four players and you called one LA and he got 250 million, you called one NewYork and he got 185 , million. you called one Baltimore and he got 125 milliom and you called one Tampa Bay, would anyone even bother playing? Ya, Tampa would win every once in a while and LA would claim, that's why it's not unfair.

Not disagreeing that I would not like to see a salary cap. I just see no forces wanting to do it between owner and players or any other external force. I think OFFNY summed it up pretty well, I would just add that the fans aren't at all passionate about it. Should they care? I guess they have enough bones, enough competitiveness with the procedures that are in place, and enough other real world problems where it's not an issue for the vast majority of fans.

I've been to 3 Orioles playoff games over the last couple years. It was absolutely amazing how loud those crowds were and how much they cared. Now, on a Tuesday against the Marlins, you are right. But, I think a real leader who cared about fairness could win this argument.

I've been to 3 Orioles playoff games over the last couple years. It was absolutely amazing how loud those crowds were and how much they cared. Now, on a Tuesday against the Marlins, you are right. But, I think a real leader who cared about fairness could win this argument.

Win the argument? What does that mean? If nobody cares to change then change doesn't happen.

But they are all (for the most part) essentially all a bunch of happy fat cats, and the numbers (literally and figuratively) are all on their side.

For every one person that is willing to "take a stand", there are a gazillion that will continue running to their TV sets and/or going to the stadiums to continue watching the games, and following their favorite team(s) fervently. The teams' TV contracts are outrageously prosperous, even for teams with average-to-below average drawing power at the gate. The population in the U.S.A. is now over 300 Million which (I presume) is at least part of the reason why attendance figures in major league baseball have more than doubled over the past 40 years.

It's an interesting idea Brian, and on a philosophical level, perhaps it's interesting to ponder and discuss on a message board. But as far as having any realistic chance of having it come to fruition, I believe that it's almost nil.

I agree that it wouldn't be easy and I agree that most fans care more about the food, drinks and when the wave is going to happen. But, there is a small part of me that feels if someone stood up and led the fight, it could happen.

I agree that it wouldn't be easy and I agree that most fans care more about the food, drinks and when the wave is going to happen. But, there is a small part of me that feels if someone stood up and led the fight, it could happen.

Well start a movement. Somebody has to lead. I think your'e wasting your time but I'll certainly sign a petition. Let me know what's going on.

Win the argument? What does that mean? If nobody wants to change then change doesn't happen.

I'm saying if an owner or politician or influential person took this as an agenda, it could succeed. The fight is for fairness. They could ask this country why they give so much money to a game that isn't fair and demand that something is done about it.

Well start a movement. Somebody has to lead. I think your'e wasting your time but I'll certainly sign a petition. Let me know what's going on.

lol, well if I had any money and influence, I'd do it! Unfortunately for me, I'm just a lowly fan spitting into the wind.

Archived