Just one word to all the posters who expressed a preference for Caleb over Wieters

mdbdotcom

It's not my money. If Pete is willing to spend 8.3 million to have Matt as an option over Lavarnway or Clevenger the rest of the way, I am good with it :)

It's not like he has a choice, since MLB contracts are guaranteed.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matt is probably not worth 8.3 Million as a half time catcher for 60 percent of the season.

I think you may see quality catchers (good defense and decent bat) will be catching 100-110 games in the future, similar to the reduce work load of starting pitchers over the years. A good back up is going to be almost as important as the stater IMO.

It's not like he has a choice, since MLB contracts are guaranteed.

Actually they did not have to do arbitration with him. Would have been stupid IMO but he was only guaranteed a contract once the O's decided he was worth the money he got to keep around. They could have cut ties at no cost I think ...... correct me if I am wrong.

Actually they did not have to do arbitration with him. Would have been stupid IMO but he was only guaranteed a contract once the O's decided he was worth the money he got to keep around. They could have cut ties at no cost I think ...... correct me if I am wrong.

True, and at the time they were hopeful he would be back by opening day. I wonder what decision they would have made had they known he would miss 1/3 of the season and still not be ready to catch every day.

True, and at the time they were hopeful he would be back by opening day. I wonder what decision they would have made had they known he would miss 1/3 of the season and still not be ready to catch every day.

I think they knew from the get go that opening day was a best case scenario. I have little to no doubt they understood it could May/June before he was back when they decided to tender him.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Most of us was really hoping he would be ready to play part-time in April and back to full time in May.

Probably unrealistic, but given, the team kept saying non pitchers bounce back quicker, we brought into it.

Well he has bounced back quicker than his pitching counterparts, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest rochester
I hope Wieters gets on fire, stays on fire, and then come July, a contending team with some great hitting upper level prospects to burn, has a need at catcher.

With so many free agents at the end of the year, this is the year for DD to cash in and rebuild this club for the future. That doesn't mean he needs to go into total rebuild mode, but it does mean players like Wieters, Chen, Davis, Norris and O'Day could be valuable chips in that effort come July.

We can dream.....

Is Matt better? Sure. But is there enough of a difference to give him 80 million dollars when we have a capable C like Joseph already on the roster? I don't think so. I'll enjoy his time here the rest of the year but then we'll move on with Caleb.

I hope Wieters gets on fire, stays on fire, and then come July, a contending team with some great hitting upper level prospects to burn, has a need at catcher.

With so many free agents at the end of the year, this is the year for DD to cash in and rebuild this club for the future. That doesn't mean he needs to go into total rebuild mode, but it does mean players like Wieters, Chen, Davis, Norris and O'Day could be valuable chips in that effort come July.

This is what I hope too. It might not be a popular opinion but I'd rather us struggle and become dealers at the deadline and restock the higher levels of the farm system since that would help us a lot more in the future then just trying to win this year and ending up with some comp picks who may or may not ever make the majors.

Archived