2015 Oriole Draft Tracker

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Under this system, the slot amount is fair. The Orioles should take a hard line if Boras is trying to get more. Not taking slot would be pretty stupid.

I agree with this. Stewart has no leverage and the slotting system was set up for a reason. If he was a HS kid with leverage than maybe you give him overslot, but at the end of the day, you can't let Boros dictate what he thinks players should get.

The slotting system (and the draft as a whole) already artificially deflates wages. I support anything that results in all of the money available actually being spent on the players. I don't particularly care which individual players are the beneficiaries, so long as all the money goes to the draftees.

The slotting system (and the draft as a whole) already artificially deflates wages. I support anything that results in all of the money available actually being spent on the players. I don't particularly care which individual players are the beneficiaries, so long as all the money goes to the draftees.

But all expenditures come from the same source. If the O's save 200K then theoretically that 200K could be spent elsewhere to improve the team.

I am glad we agree. All the money available gets spent by the Orioles. Just not to a no option junior that is taking it from someone more deserving and needy.

Don't think there is going to be any extra for Stewart with this signing. lol

821K over slot. See. Someone got it

Big time signing. Drafting Jay Flaa in the 6th round and saving 400 K with Mountcastle definitely helped make this happen. I'm liking this class if we can get the rest of the top ten signed as well. I think we will.

Stotle,

Can you comment on the Os draft strategy?

First round pick strong college bat to sign for around slot.

Supplemental first and third rounder - signing for below slot (or well below slot) to open up $ for later picks.

If Fenter was key target in this draft, why take Flaa ahead of him and wait a whole round before taking Fenter? Why not do reverse since the signig bonus math is the same? I imagine the Os were tracking multiple $1M request guys who slipped in the draft and could have tabbed any of several players, but regardless ... why not pop Fenter when Flaa was taken?

Cody Morris was reported to want top 5 round $. How closely was he tracked? Would he have cost another $1M or something closer to fifth round $ or in the $500k range generally?

Thanks.

Stotle,

Can you comment on the Os draft strategy?

First round pick strong college bat to sign for around slot.

Supplemental first and third rounder - signing for below slot (or well below slot) to open up $ for later picks.

If Fenter was key target in this draft, why take Flaa ahead of him and wait a whole round before taking Fenter? Why not do reverse since the signig bonus math is the same? I imagine the Os were tracking multiple $1M request guys who slipped in the draft and could have tabbed any of several players, but regardless ... why not pop Fenter when Flaa was taken?

Cody Morris was reported to want top 5 round $. How closely was he tracked? Would he have cost another $1M or something closer to fifth round $ or in the $500k range generally?

Thanks.

Re: Flaa, could be as simple as having lots of teams gobbling-up check signs in those rounds and Baltimore really wanted Flaa to be their guy (and were confident no one else was in on Fenter for $1 MM.

I like Juan Hillman much more than Fenter, and Hillman wanted to play/sign. Cleveland got him for an under slot deal in the second paying $825 K. I'd much prefer (if Stewart is a "must" with the first pick and you really like Mountcastle):

1. Stewart

1S. Hillman at $825K

2. Mountcastle at $1.2 million or so

3. Kep Brown at $1 million or so

That leaves you enough to sign your over slots outside of Fenter (I'd imagine), and if you miss out on one of the other three high school bats I'm not concerned because I like Brown's upside better than all of them.

I don't know, re: Morris. I'd always make the case to a kid undergoing Tommy John that you are better off rehabbing with a pro organization watching out for you, but I'm not sure of a specific number for him.

Thanks Stotle. Interesting to think there would be so much interest in Flaa as a senior sign for $10k in the sixth round that the team could risk losing Fenter.

Also interesting that you pretty much usually go down the line with your signing bonus $ dropping off with most every pick (taking the best talent highest) whereas we've now seen two respected Orioles scouting directors weave in and out of the draft mingling major overslots and underslots (or with Jordan - big $ after the tenth round instead of goosing second and third round $ as you proposed.

Is there any chance with Morris? What is the penalty for the Os for putting out $500k or so for him? Is it a lost pick in 2016 and would that be a worthwhile price?

Archived