2015 1st Round (25) - D.J. Stewart - OF - Florida State

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm no draft expert but I'm not impressed with what I'm hearing. Hopefully he can produce better than logic would dictate a "bowling ball" like figure with a 55 power.

I wouldn't worry about the bowling ball thing. He is built like a running back. Seldom is the guy that looks the best in the locker room the best athlete. He looks athletic and seems to be a professional hitter. We could use the latter

The guy had a .500 OBP this year. He might not have a ton of power and will be limited defensively, but he's an OBP machine. Considering the options I like this pick. Just thrilled it;s not a high school pitcher.

Count me as unimpressed with a DH in the first round with Nikorak, Kirby, and Hayes still there. Not a fan of a LH version of Pete Incaviglia...or the reincarnation of Jack Cust. I really hope he proves me wrong, but yak.

Stewart is a safe pick to me. He has a great approach and knows how to get on base as evidence by his nation leading 69 walks this year. He should move quickly through the system and could realistically be in the Oriole outfield two years from now. I don't see a future star here and would've preferred someone with more upside but I certainly don't hate this pick. I see his upside as something similar to a Nick Swisher type player and he's had a long productive career.

I'm no draft expert but I'm not impressed with what I'm hearing. Hopefully he can produce better than logic would dictate a "bowling ball" like figure with a 55 power.

I am fine with the pick. The kid can hit and he has exceptional patience at the plate, something we are generally lacking. He has pretty good power, and his defense will be good enough in left field. He is a nice, polished player that could move through the system pretty quickly. I don't think the ceiling is super high, but he should hit for average, and get on base with good power...maybe 20-25 homers or so.

I do know that he will not be wearing #8 in Baltimore. :)

It's not a particularly sexy pick, but it feels like a very solid pick.

The guy had a .500 OBP this year. He might not have a ton of power and will be limited defensively, but he's an OBP machine. Considering the options I like this pick. Just thrilled it;s not a high school pitcher.

I can't help but think of Youkilis offensively when watching the highlights and with the awkward stance. I'd be pretty happy with that.

Count me as unimpressed with a DH in the first round with Nikorak, Kirby, and Hayes still there. Not a fan of a LH version of Pete Incaviglia...or the reincarnation of Jack Cust. I really hope he proves me wrong, but yak.

Why not Nikorak? He looks good. That would have been my pick if they couldn't have gotten Cameron signed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. You wanted OBP, you got it. Physically he reminds me of Ty Wigginton. Looks to me like a guy who could be in the majors some time in 2017 if we can sign him quickly and get him playing this summer.

I don't think Incaviglia is a good comp for Stewart. Pete had no patience and rarely made contact, but could possibly hit it through the wall if he made contact. Stewart has good power, but also has tremendous patience and makes contact. And I don't see a gold glove in his future, but I think he is fine defensively, so he will be more than a DH, in my opinion.

Yup. You wanted OBP, you got it. Physically he reminds me of Ty Wigginton. Looks to me like a guy who could be in the majors some time in 2017 if we can sign him quickly and get him playing this summer.

Then hand him over to Brady in the off season.

Archived