2015 1st Round (25) - D.J. Stewart - OF - Florida State

I love the pick. For those of you down on the bowling ball comment think Steve Pearce body type. I say get him signed asap. Don't worry about his position or batting stance. Let him feast on A ball pitching this year. Maybe AFL. And let's see him in ST. Dude is just a ball player.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.344 hitter with 27 total HRs in three years of college. He did have 24 SBs in his career and 147 total walks (.481 OBP, 1051 OPS).

Not amazing numbers and you kind of want more from a first round pick who is an OF, but everything else about him screams success - parents were athletes, dad a MLB draftee, good HS, star at a college that produces a ton of MLB talent, seems to have good character and teammates love him.

Like someone else said, analytics teams will love the OBP and low strikeout rate.

The slotting system and the early signing date took that all away.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O's slot allotted amounts for 3 their picks tonight:

Round 1 (#25) - $2,064,500

Round 1 (#36) - $1,711,900

Round 2 (#68) - $907,000</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">June 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

“It was an awesome feeling, just a lot of emotions throughout the day but to finally hear my named called, I cried because this is something that you dream of your entire life,” said Stewart. “To see your name come up is just awesome, I am happy Baltimore selected me.

FSU Website

“Being at Florida State helped me grow, I grew so much not only as a baseball player but also as a person,” added Stewart. “It taught me daily life lessons that I can use throughout my entire life. The guys that I have met at Florida State will always be lifelong friends and I am looking forward to seeing what everyone will do next in their careers and to see everyone grow as I have.”

“Everyone was ecstatic; everyone screamed,” said Stewart on his family’s reaction to hearing his name announced in the first round on Monday night. “I was actually on the phone with the Baltimore guys as they were putting the pick in so I kind of gave it away saying, ‘thank you for the opportunity.’ They were anticipating my name being called and when they did, I didn’t see my name, I just heard everyone yell. I was holding my little brother, tears in his eyes, just to see that, to see how I influenced him makes my day.”

Sounds like he is signing.

I think this was a very solid pick. Just about every "mock draft" had the O's selecting Stewart at #25. He is obviously an offense first guy when it comes to his skill-set. It's the "intangibles" that may set him apart--great character and great leadership. I will concede that this was a "safe" choice for the O's late first round draft position. He could move pretty quickly through the O's farm system with his apparent "batting eye" at the plate. He may not project to be a perrenial "all-star", but I can see him being a major contributor to the O's for quite awhile (ala Markasis). :thumbsup1:

Stewart is a safe pick to me. He has a great approach and knows how to get on base as evidence by his nation leading 69 walks this year. He should move quickly through the system and could realistically be in the Oriole outfield two years from now. I don't see a future star here and would've preferred someone with more upside but I certainly don't hate this pick. I see his upside as something similar to a Nick Swisher type player and he's had a long productive career.

I can see that. The player that came to my mind was Evan Gattis - with the deep crouch and big body.

I can see that. The player that came to my mind was Evan Gattis - with the deep crouch and big body.

Grumpy will love him, led the nation in walks. :)

I read last night, a scouting report that said, if he didn't crouch so much, he would have even more power.

I hate that he is a Boras client, so his staying here long term is probably not going to happen.

Archived