2015 1st Round (25) - D.J. Stewart - OF - Florida State

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been 50 guys picked at #25, before last night. Only 28 made the majors. Top picks:

Knoblauch 44.6 rWAR

Cain 32.7

Trout 32.1 (obviously he is likely to top this list)

Garza 15.1

Buckner 14.8

Spillner 9.2

Dion James 6.2

Sprague 5.6

Crosby 5.4

MacDougal 3.9

If you get a 4 WAR player at this spot, you are doing well.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?overall_pick=25&draft_type=junreg&

The good thing is he's a very good athlete so even though he doesn't have a great baseball body, at the end of the day, he's a hitter, and probably one of the best one available. Considering the shape of Orioles hitting prospects right now and the current team, I like this pick.

Folks lament the lack of position players and potential impact hitters in the system. Well, here you go. About as good a pick as you'll get at #25 to start addressing those concerns.

I thought the O's were all about pitching & defense.

So they use their #1 pick (25th best amateur player?) on a short, slow, weak armed outfielder.

He is 230 lbs at 21... so let's project him to be 240-245 in a couple of years when/if he makes it to the majors.

How about a list of ML outfielders who are 6' or under and 230 lbs or over?

Just can't see using a #1 pick on a DH

Not at all surprising that you dislike the pick. I'm reasonably sure you'd dislike anyone they picked. Did you have another player taken later you preferred?

I thought the O's were all about pitching & defense.

So they use their #1 pick (25th best amateur player?) on a short, slow, weak armed outfielder.

He is 230 lbs at 21... so let's project him to be 240-245 in a couple of years when/if he makes it to the majors.

How about a list of ML outfielders who are 6' or under and 230 lbs or over?

Just can't see using a #1 pick on a DH

I'm confused. He is 6' 230 lbs. Why would that prevent him from being a good MLB player? Why would being 240-245 lbs prevent him from being a good hitter - as long as he's in shape?

There have been 50 guys picked at #25, before last night. Only 28 made the majors. Top picks:

Knoblauch 44.6 rWAR

Cain 32.7

Trout 32.1 (obviously he is likely to top this list)

Garza 15.1

Buckner 14.8

Spillner 9.2

Dion James 6.2

Sprague 5.6

Crosby 5.4

MacDougal 3.9

If you get a 4 WAR player at this spot, you are doing well.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?overall_pick=25&draft_type=junreg&

Yep, like I said, Tony Gwynn Jr would be an above-average #25 pick. But this is sports. If your favorite team's average transaction isn't well above average they're disappointing.

I'm confused. He is 6' 230 lbs. Why would that prevent him from being a good MLB player? Why would being 240-245 lbs prevent him from being a good hitter - as long as he's in shape?

Even though I am in camp Lough I will admit the difference between plus, average and slightly below average isn't that great in left field in most ballparks.

There are a fairly large number of very good MLB players throughout history who had that fireplug, fullback kind of body type. Hack Wilson. Yogi. Pudge II. Matt Stairs. John Kruk. Jim Traber and Floyd Rayford... okay maybe they're not exactly what we're looking for. But quite a few really good players who'd star on the offseason Orioles rec league football team.

So has there been any successfull Major League players with that kind of stance or is it pretty much a foregone conclusion the Os are gonna change it ASAP?

I thought maybe Bagwell, but this guys crouch seems even more pronounced.

So has there been any successfull Major League players with that kind of stance or is it pretty much a foregone conclusion the Os are gonna change it ASAP?

I thought maybe Bagwell, but this guys crouch seems even more pronounced.

Phil Plantier. He was successful for a year or two.177-488Fr.jpg

Reminds me of Kyle Schwarber, the #2 pick in the draft last year - 6' 240 lbs and had a similar stance. He seems to be moving fast through the cubs system. He has come out of the crouch while in the minors and it seems to have paid off.

DJ Stewart might even be a better athlete than Schwarber. Schwarber had better college numbers, but Stewart played in the better league.

Excellent baseball name. Therefore, he'll do well.

In all seriousness, I've been rooting for the O's to take guys high that can rake for years. They did it with Wieters and it paid off. Hopefully this guy can give us some MLB value soon.

Archived