2015 ASG Voting Thread (65 Million Ballots Cancelled for Fraud)

TonySoprano

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm 100% for putting as many Royals into the ASG as possible. It will not only once again highlight all of their douchebag players to the national audience, but will hopefully result in the end of fan voting and the ASG determining home field advantage.

I couldn't agree more. Having it decide home field is a joke. Every other All star game is taken as just a fun thing for the fans. Big deal, the game ended in a tie one year. Who cares?

MLB Advanced Media CEO Bob Bowman announced the cancellation of between 60 and 65 million ballots for the upcoming All-Star Game.

The decision was made after Royals fans (and probably other fans looking to create chaos) exploited the online voting system earlier this week, putting a total of eight Kansas City players in line to start for the American League. While 60 million votes sounds like a sizable chunk of the 300-some million ballots that have been collected so far, Bowman insisted that the 20 percent cut was on par with results from previous seasons.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2015/6/19/8811347/mlb-all-star-game-royals-votes

Your All-Star voting 'hacks' won't work, says MLB

Nevertheless, MLB still stands to gain an additional 200 million votes by the deadline on July 2, 2015, providing a wide berth for fans who haven?t yet figured out how to capitalize on their voting impact with false email addresses or rudimentary hacking skills

There is zero verification surrounding the most important piece of information supplied in the voting process: your email address. The voting page asks you to supply an email address, along with some other information such as a birthdate, a zip code, and a favorite team, but unlike most systems that at least try to implement some form of security, MLB does not require you to validate your email address. There's no confirmation email sent with a "click here to verify" or "use this five-digit verification code" message, some way of ensuring that the email address you supplied in the voting process is actually yours.

Let that sink in for a moment.

And while you were letting that sink in, I just cast 35 more ballots, using your email address. Let me know when you get the "Thank You for Voting" email from MLB.

With that major security flaw exposed, it was a simple matter of using Google Chrome's built-in network traffic monitor to discover that all of the voting selections are being sent via URL, attached to a request for an image that is 1x1 and white. It's so small you'd never see it, but it's there, and embedding that image effectively casts another ballot.

From Bless You Boys

I hope very Royal makes it. Then our guys get three much needed days of rest and KC has to deal with signing 25 "All Stars"

I was just going to say the same. I hope it costs him. The idea of multiple votes is stupid. I don't imagine it would be to hard for a hacker to come up with a million email accounts and send in the same ballot a number of times. In any event I have lost interest in the process and therefore the game. I do miss the O's playing over those four days.

Cabrera has passed Hosmer. KC still has 7 starters. Jones falls to 7th in OF vote.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Machado 4th, Jones 7th in All-Star voting <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">June 22, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here is the latest AL voting update for the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ASG?src=hash">#ASG</a>: <a href="http://t.co/AcT8hF7krb">pic.twitter.com/AcT8hF7krb</a></p>— MLB Communications (@MLB_PR) <a href="

">June 22, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Things have really tightened up. It seems likely that the rest of baseball fandom will mobilize to ensure that Cruz passes Morales, Donaldson passes Moustakas, and Altuve passes Infante. That would leave only Escobar, Perez and Gordon as undeserving starters, and all three at least have a case to make that they should be All Stars. Moustakas arguably has a better case than Escobar, Perez, and Gordon and now has a decent shot at being snubbed.

Archived