Chance Sisco....(Promoted to Norfolk)

EagleOriole

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking we sign MW to a reasonable deal in the offseason. Seems like he's worth more to the O's(Buck) than he would be to another team. So with that being said I don't think we're going to let Sisco's catching skills hold his bat back.

We shouldn't take him away from catching just yet. But depending on the offseason, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot a OF at some point next year. Of course this all depends on what moves the team makes in the offseason.

It seems to me that folks on this thread are making too big a deal about his arm. I haven't heard any scout say he has a below average arm, and all you need to catch for the O's is an average catcher's arm, because Buck doesn't let his pitchers pitch - for the most part - unless they're good at controlling the run game - Ubaldo being an exception. His arm isn't going to force him to change positions.

It seems to me that folks on this thread are making too big a deal about his arm. I haven't heard any scout say he has a below average arm, and all you need to catch for the O's is an average catcher's arm, because Buck doesn't let his pitchers pitch - for the most part - unless they're good at controlling the run game - Ubaldo being an exception. His arm isn't going to force him to change positions.

The Orioles staffs of 1996/97 did a pretty decent job pitching to a noodle-armed Chris Hoiles. I think calling the game, pitch-framing, and being able to block pitches in the dirt are likely more valuable than a great throwing arm.

I'm thinking we sign MW to a reasonable deal in the offseason. Seems like he's worth more to the O's(Buck) than he would be to another team. So with that being said I don't think we're going to let Sisco's catching skills hold his bat back.

We shouldn't take him away from catching just yet. But depending on the offseason, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot a OF at some point next year. Of course this all depends on what moves the team makes in the offseason.

I think it really depends on how likely you think he is to stick behind the plate. You seem less optimistic, but if you think he just needs another year, another option behind the plate could be someone like Jason Castro who could be serviceable enough, but wouldn't be "too big" to give way when Sisco is ready.

I think it really depends on how likely you think he is to stick behind the plate. You seem less optimistic, but if you think he just needs another year, another option behind the plate could be someone like Jason Castro who could be serviceable enough, but wouldn't be "too big" to give way when Sisco is ready.

I like that choice. He's known as a good defensive catcher who strikes out a ton, but he's not a total disgrace with the bat, and his power might play well at Camden Yards.

Are those figures good or bad? Without some sort of standard of comparison they don't mean much. Is that too many grroundballs? Is that why he doesn't fit more homeruns? I assume line drives are good and popups are bad, but is a flyball a fairly easy out or the sign of a more powerful future?

Is that popup number right? Looks to be less than five, which would almost seem impossible in so many at bats. Very impressive.

His lined drives/flyballs to ground balls are almost even. I don't see anything wrong with that. I think he's going to be a Hyun-Soo type at the plate with more oppo power. He hit one out to left center at Petco Park. Kim can't get it past the warning track in left at Camden Yards.

I'd take more hitters like that as opposed to some of the high HR hitting, higher strikeout rate guys we have.

For sure. Also, will be a nice change of pace from Matt Wieters: A player who has likely popped up five times in a single game this season.

Archived