Cito Gaston

MChance

Anyone know what he's up to? I remember hating him in the 90's, especially after not putting Mussina into the All-Star game at Camden Yards, citing he was saving him for extra innings. 'Cito Sucks' tee-shirts used to be sold outside the Yard. Man, ... I loved hating that guy, haha!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's probably doing what he always did when he was managing the Jays - falling asleep in the corner somewhere. Except now he doesn't have to wake up when the pitching coach tells him it's time to yank the starter.

I'm kind of joking, but Cito was one of the least active managers I've ever seen. Looking in the Bill James Guide to Baseball Managers he was among the '96 AL trailers in lineups used, pinch hitters used, pinch runners used, defensive subs used, and relief pitchers used.

Hmm...his Wiki page has this fact I never knew:

...T-shirts were sold outside of Camden Yards that season [1993] bearing the phrase, "Will Rogers never met Cito Gaston," referencing the famous line by Will Rogers, "I never met a man yet that I didn't like."

I still have a Cito Sucks shirt, in both French and English just to make Canadians mad, that I wore to a game at SkyDome in '95 or '96.

It was that day that I learned that all Canadians aren't always polite.

That's arguably the greatest t-shirt I've ever heard of.

And what's that?!?! Canadians?!?! Not polite?!?! To an AMERICAN?!?! The hell you say!!!

And no one cared about the Yankees. The obsession hadn't re started yet. The O's and Jays were the AL East race for a few years. Milwaukee gave them a good run too.

The funniest thing about that night was the Mussina warmed up on his own, Cito never intended on using him.

Archived