Cito Gaston

MChance

The only folks who think the Jays should be hated more than the Sox and Yanks are those who formed their allegiances between, like, 1989 and 1993. Everyone else is in the hating Sox and Yanks camp.

Well, not exactly. I formed my allegiance with the O's around 1961, but you're right insofar as sports hatred is illogical.

I'd probably feel differently if I hadn't moved west long before OPACY was built. From what I've read here, I can only imagine what home games are like when the Yankees or Red Sox are in town.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to believe that it was so long ago. I remember when we signed Alomar the winter I was in third grade and the WaPo was saying that Cal-Robby-Raffy would be like Tinker-Evers-Chance. Too bad it only lasted a couple years really. One if you remember that Cal moved to third in 97 when we got Mike Bordick. I hate the Yankees more than I do any division rival because of Jeffrey Meier and the 1996 ALCS.

It's hard to believe that it was so long ago. I remember when we signed Alomar the winter I was in third grade and the WaPo was saying that Cal-Robby-Raffy would be like Tinker-Evers-Chance. Too bad it only lasted a couple years really. One if you remember that Cal moved to third in 97 when we got Mike Bordick. I hate the Yankees more than I do any division rival because of Jeffrey Meier and the 1996 ALCS.

MChance??!!

This is one of those opinions I should probably keep to myself, but -the 1993 All-Star Game incident notwithstanding- I really like Cito Gaston.

The Blue Jays had so much talent that they were a popular post-season pick for many experts between 1984-88. After coughing up a 3-1 ALCS lead in 1985 (when Bobby Cox got schooled by Dick Howser BTW), and then losing a 3 1/2 game lead with seven to play two years later, they were the "Blow Jays".

Jimy Williams lost control of the team when reigning MVP George Bell refused to move to DH in 1988 spring training, and they underachieved until he was fired. Unfortunately for the O's, that came after the 1989 Jays started 12-24. They played lights out once Gaston took over and ruined the Why Not season.

He was a players manager, and Bell & Jesse Barfield were among the guys that lobbied for him to get the job. First African-American skipper to win a World Series...and he won two back-to-back! People slight him as a "do-nothing" skipper, but he was the right man at the right time for that team.

Helluva nice guy everytime I stopped him for an autograph too. He usually printed his name, but once I did get him to sign in script. Real name Clarence. Hit 29 home runs one year.

The Mussina thing was unfortunate.

The only folks who think the Jays should be hated more than the Sox and Yanks are those who formed their allegiances between, like, 1989 and 1993. Everyone else is in the hating Sox and Yanks camp.

I started really paying attention in '79, and didn't ever develop that hatred for the Yankees that everyone else has. The Yankees were really no factor from the early 80s (1982) until 1996, so I just really didn't care about them much.

Since then, while I'm certainly not a fan by any stretch, they just don't bother me for some reason. I've gotten tons of grief on the board for saying it, and I wish I felt different, but just don't. Maybe having Hank Steinbrenner in charge will help fuel some hatred.

The Red Sox have only become unbearable the past few years, and I'd much rather root against them than New York.

Anyone know what he's up to? I remember hating him in the 90's, especially after not putting Mussina into the All-Star game at Camden Yards, citing he was saving him for extra innings. 'Cito Sucks' tee-shirts used to be sold outside the Yard. Man, ... I loved hating that guy, haha!

I'm not sure, but I used to be in the same boat, cursing the man's name every chance I got.

Turns out Mussina was warming up on his own initiative and soaking in the attention. Should have told us about that jerk's character even back then.

Come back, Cito, all is forgiven!

I became a fan in 1994 when I was 9, so I was 11 and naive for the 1996 ALCS. There is no team in professional sports I hate more than the Yankees.

Not even the Dallas Cowboys.

I was 9 the year of that ALCS. I remember thinking years like 96 and 97 would last forever with the O's competitive consistently. Now I am nearly 21 and the O's haven't been in the playoffs since I was 10. I agree absolutely. There's no team that gets my blood boiling more than the Yankees. Jeffrey Maier was the defining moment for me. Just bugs me to see these Yankees fans complain about how they haven't won the WS since 2000. It's that entitlement and arrogance that pisses me off the most about them and their fans.

Archived