Roch: Penn Cut

dkdc

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "right now" part is the key...You didn't say that before I don't think.

You just said Pen isn't very good.

Well I clarified myself. You know I know my stuff so you don't need to be publicly questioning my intelligence like you did.

Penn isn't ready...end of discussion.

Yeah, I said from the get-go that Penn probably didn't have much of a shot at making the team, although I am suprised he went this early. The Orioles obviously want him to go down, log some innings and get his legs under him again. If he's as good as we hope he is, he'll be back up soon enough.

Well I clarified myself. You know I know my stuff so you don't need to be publicly questioning my intelligence like you did.

Penn isn't ready...end of discussion.

We don't know if he's ready or not, he wasn't given a chance, 5 innings over 4 appearances isn't an opportunity.

I don't have a big problem with them saying that they want to focus on a few of the candidates for the 5th starters job and for Penn to start the year at Norfolk and build up some innings. But, to say they gave him a reasonable shot this spring is just flat-out lying.

If they've decided Penn isn't ready, then sending him down now is the right thing to do. It's not "too early." He needs to get stretched out and get ready to start in AAA. Now that our starters are into the 4 or more inning mode, we don't have the opportunity to give others multiple innings in major league camp. So, Penn has to go now so that he can prepare properly. Guthrie, Loewen (if healthy, and I don't think this is very serious), Cabrera, and Trachsel will get their innings. That leaves Olson, Albers, and Burress to get multiple innings. If they really want to carry two "long" relievers, I suspect they want either Olson or Burress to start and Albers and which ever lefty doesn't start to relieve. This would give them one long lefty and one long righty reliever.

So, rotation: Guthrie, Loewen, Cabrera, Trachsel, Olson

Bullpen: Sherrill, Bradford, Walker, Safarte, Bierd, Albers, Burress with Aquino and Leicester the odd men out, given that scenario.

If this is anywhere near accurate, moving Penn to the minor league facility to continue prepping for the season was exactly the right thing to do and the right time to do it.

We don't know if he's ready or not, he wasn't given a chance, 5 innings over 4 appearances isn't an opportunity.

I don't have a big problem with them saying that they want to focus on a few of the candidates for the 5th starters job and for Penn to start the year at Norfolk and build up some innings. But, to say they gave him a reasonable shot this spring is just flat-out lying.

It's not just 5 IP...it's his side sessions, his poor AFL campaign, etc.

The AFL campaign is irrelevant, he was coming off of the surgery, can't really expect him to be at his best.

We have no idea how his side sessions are going, but they aren't as important as pitching against live competition.

The problem isn't that he's only gotten to pitch 5 innings up to this point, thats about on par with the other starters. The problem is he won't get a chance to compete further, when he hasn't done anything to really indicate he's not ready.

He's got an option, so its not a major deal, but it is a bit unfair to Penn. He's worked hard to get ready, and should've gotten a fair shake. As long as they consider him one of the first callups if he's pitching well in the minors, everything will be fine, but they can't let him rot at AAA and give MLB starts to Trachsel and if he struggles like I expect, Cabrera.

Doubtful but not impossible. Albers has a year of experience in a ML starting rotation. Despite poor numbers that counts for a lot. Add in the fact that people think he has a lot of talent (most think he has a higher ceiling than Gallagher) and I think he's a favorite for that spot.

Albers AND Gallagher should be in the rotation IMO.(throw Olson in that mix as well)

BTW, i still think albers is destined for the pen in the long run but it would be nice if he could be a starter.

We don't know anything about his side sessions, and I'm willing to overlook his AFL campaign due to it being his first action coming back from injury. I just don't see how you can state with any certainty that he doesn't look good right now.

IMO, 5 IP in spring training is not enough to make a solid judgment on Penn. However, I'm not heartbroken that he'll be getting some work in down in Norfolk. I just hope he forces the O's hand, and will be back with the big club sometime in the next couple of months.

This moves seems totally consistent to me. I don't see it as any different then how we're treating Liz. In fact, I could see a similar move with Olson and Hoey happening soon.

To me, it could actually be taken as a compliment. We want these high-ceiling guys to get their stuff straightened out w/o the pressure and level of competition ruining them before they're ready. This could be a sign that Penn is actually high on our radar whereas nobody's really saying Albers and Burress are going to be stalwarts for the next 8 years.

I don't know...maybe I'm crazy.

Look, Penn has barely pitched over the last two years. And he wasn't effective at the ML level before. Let's get him pitching at AAA, make sure his mechanics are sound, his command and confidence are there, and then call him up.

This is hardly a big deal.

I'll add that I don't find this baffling at all: if they don't think they can stretch him out at the ML level due to numbers, and are wary of throwing him into the ML fire this year, then sending him to MiL camp to get his innings and get him starting is prudent.

It makes complete sense.

I tend to agree with this. I really don't have a problem making Penn force his way to the big leagues by pitching well in AAA this year.

isn't it possible that the O's are really looking out for Penn with this decision? Perhaps they thought that sending him down now (while he has been pitching well and has no doubt gained confidence) would be better than sending him down later this spring with the possibility of him pitching worse. Penn has been known for not having the best springs. Since this one was going so well for him maybe the O's didn't want to push theie luck and send him down while his confidence and performance this spring has been at it's highest.

Yeah it's a poor statement if you think he's capable of starting in the rotation right now...which he isn't. Right now Penn is not very good. He has the talent to be very good and that talent was being displayed back in 2006.

BUT what has Penn shown us since he came back from injury that gives us confidence that he has returned to his 2006 AAA season? That's why he's not very good right now. His minor league return after injury was lackluster, hisAFL season was horrible, and he has 1 K over 5IP in ST. Also you have NOT seen him pitch in ST yet. Maybe he needs to be in the MiL camp to get some things worked out.

The O's just don't see Penn beating out Olson, Burress, Albers, Leicester for the 5th and long man roll.

You are cherry picking stats. Penn has pitched better than Olson, Loewen, Burress and Trax. He doesn't have the innings as Cabrera, but he's been more consistent. He's getting sent down because he has only one option left. Once that's used up, he's up for good, like it or not.

isn't it possible that the O's are really looking out for Penn with this decision? Perhaps they thought that sending him down now (while he has been pitching well and has no doubt gained confidence) would be better than sending him down later this spring with the possibility of him pitching worse. Penn has been known for not having the best springs. Since this one was going so well for him maybe the O's didn't want to push theie luck and send him down while his confidence and performance this spring has been at it's highest.
I think its more of a case of them deciding that Penn wasn't going to be a realistic contender for the 5th starter's role and this will give him the innings he needs as the ST innings become harder to come by with the MLB starters going longer and the BP guys fighting for the last couple spots.

Archived