Who's your favorite and least favorite Orioles 2015 pick, draft spot considered?

I would agree. There is no minor leagues in the NFL, so you go straight to the big team. And given that the average NFL career is 5 years, it wouldn't take much to last that stretch of time just bouncing around 2 or 3 teams

The NBA draft is only 2 rounds and half of their picks stay in their home country or are drafted with the idea of going straight to the D League to work on their game more.

I can't speak to the NHL since I don't follow the game

I think the NHL is kind of a mix between all three.

I believe it's 7 rounds, just like the NFL. A lot of players from overseas are drafted, and I assume quite a bit of then stay in their home country at first, like in the NBA. There's also an extensive minor league system in hockey, similar to baseball.

There was a bit of tongue in that cheek. But I feel that it is a lot like the Ryan Ripken pick a few years back.

The only comparisons here is being Maryland born and going to South Carolina.

Cody Morris isn't a top flight prospect, but he was the Gatorade Player of the Year. It's more like when they drafted Neal Davis out of Catonsville a few years back late in the draft when they knew he was a strong commit to UVA. He ended up being picked up by the Phillies, spent a couple years in the system and got out.

Ryan Ripken was never considered a real prospect.

My favorite is Heinrich. Just from watching his videos you can see tremendous bat speed and the power potential in that swing. My least favorite is Hughes; there were other college bats I liked better than him and it seems they may have been able to still get him later.

The only comparisons here is being Maryland born and going to South Carolina.

Cody Morris isn't a top flight prospect, but he was the Gatorade Player of the Year. It's more like when they drafted Neal Davis out of Catonsville a few years back late in the draft when they knew he was a strong commit to UVA. He ended up being picked up by the Phillies, spent a couple years in the system and got out.

Ryan Ripken was never considered a real prospect.

I meant that neither were signing with the Orioles. Not quality of player.

One of the almost never discussed aspects of player development is defense. If the O's can get a guy like Mountcastle to become a solid 3B, that would make him look like a better pick. There were a couple of guys like that (Stewart the other obvious one) where D was a question mark. I don't think they can give Stewart a go-go-gadget arm, but it might be possible to help a couple of the younger guys provide positional value where some assessments today are that they only have offensive upside.

One of the almost never discussed aspects of player development is defense. If the O's can get a guy like Mountcastle to become a solid 3B, that would make him look like a better pick. There were a couple of guys like that (Stewart the other obvious one) where D was a question mark. I don't think they can give Stewart a go-go-gadget arm, but it might be possible to help a couple of the younger guys provide positional value where some assessments today are that they only have offensive upside.

It was two years ago that we were wondering if it's possible to move Caleb Joseph to another position because he had a big league bat but not sure if he'd stick at catcher. Now he's the opposite. You don't know. Like Caleb, you try to land some talented players that also have work ethic. I saw it noted somewhere that Duq wants to move McKenna to second base where he thinks his bat will play better. Seems like a quality young man that will make the most of the opportunity.

My favorite pick would be D.J. Stewart, and my least favorite pick would be D.J. Stewart. I think he's a risky pick that could hurt the defense. But I also believe he could be a legitimate player and be the type of player we need.

My favorite pick would be D.J. Stewart, and my least favorite pick would be D.J. Stewart. I think he's a risky pick that could hurt the defense. But I also believe he could be a legitimate player and be the type of player we need.

He won't hurt you on defense. He won't add a ton of value, but he's fine in left field. He's a whole lot better than Delmon Young.

Honestly, I've been waiting what feels like forever for the O's to throw "athleticism" and "toolsiness" out the window and just draft some guys who mash. So with that in mind, I love basically all the day 1/2 picks. I also think I like Hughes more than others. Cleavinger I'm not as big on as most here, I'd guess. Factoring in where they were taken, I think Seamus Curran might be my favorite.

Seamus is a dog.

:)

Archived