Who were you wrong about?

JohnD

Per start or per inning Ben's career was more than respectable. He just got hurt. Which may have been inevitable given his workload prior to being drafted. As a 21-year-old at LSU he threw 152 innings, 21 starts, five relief appearances, three shutouts, eight complete games, four saves, in, what... a 60-something game schedule?

Yeah but like Strasburg he was supposed to be the second coming. Somewhat similar ERA+ between the 2 also.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per start or per inning Ben's career was more than respectable. He just got hurt. Which may have been inevitable given his workload prior to being drafted. As a 21-year-old at LSU he threw 152 innings, 21 starts, five relief appearances, three shutouts, eight complete games, four saves, in, what... a 60-something game schedule?

Number of games in the schedule is irrelevant, right? It's over February, March, April, May, June (for post-season). Throwing once a week. Now, Ben did through in the post-season on short rest, which is dangerous, and the relief appearances on short rat are also not ideal. Just wanted to add context.

With college coaches often under heavy fire from certain media members, it's nice if fans (not directed at you) understand how the college game works before sharpening their pitch forks and mobbing-up.

Number of games in the schedule is irrelevant, right? It's over February, March, April, May, June (for post-season). Throwing once a week. Now, Ben did through in the post-season on short rest, which is dangerous, and the relief appearances on short rat are also not ideal. Just wanted to add context.

With college coaches often under heavy fire from certain media members, it's nice if fans (not directed at you) understand how the college game works before sharpening their pitch forks and mobbing-up.

Yea, sure, it's not like it was 60 games over 64 days. But I think back in Ben's time in college pitch counts were pretty much non-existent, so I'd assume some of his complete games were going far longer than any modern pitcher would be allowed. To be fair pitch counts weren't really adhered to in pro ball then either. I haven't seen many college games, but about that same time I watched a Virginia Tech game where Brad Clontz went the distance in a game that ended up something like 18-11. He had to have thrown close to 200 pitches.

Yea, sure, it's not like it was 60 games over 64 days. But I think back in Ben's time in college pitch counts were pretty much non-existent, so I'd assume some of his complete games were going far longer than any modern pitcher would be allowed. To be fair pitch counts weren't really adhered to in pro ball then either. I haven't seen many college games, but about that same time I watched a Virginia Tech game where Brad Clontz went the distance in a game that ended up something like 18-11. He had to have thrown close to 200 pitches.

Yeah, pitch count and lack of rest are the high-risk categories.

Archived