Who were you wrong about?

JohnD

Me too with Matusz. He has really disappointed me in many ways.

I really don't get it. He was a respectable starter in 2010, and looked fantastic at the end of the year. He came back the next spring and was a completely different pitcher. I'll always wonder if we screwed him up somehow, or whether he screwed himself up, or both.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't get it. He was a respectable starter in 2010, and looked fantastic at the end of the year. He came back the next spring and was a completely different pitcher. I'll always wonder if we screwed him up somehow, or whether he screwed himself up, or both.

It has always baffled me. His change up just magically disappeared and his fastball used to have much more movement. Buck's whole TTTP thing when he first got here might have had something to do with it initially, but surely he should have straightened that out by now if that's all that it was.

He surfed all winter evidently.

It began with Willy Miranda. I thought that because he wore the same number as Mickey Mantle he would be just as good. But I was only eight at the time. More recently, Ron Hanson, Ben McDonald, Larry Bigbie, Luis Henandez, Mark Reynolds, Felix Pie, Nick Markakis, Adam Loewen, De Aza, and David Lough.

Too many to count. There was a guy named Pete Stanicek who looked like the answer at 2B but always ended up hurt. I had very high hopes for Hayden Penn. And yes, Matusz belongs on that list. He's an OK reliever but I had expected him to be a no. 2 starter at worst.

There was also that Fiorentino guy! ;)

I might have single handedly cursed Bundy. I made a big deal about how, b/c of his work ethic, training, and mechanics, he would never get hurt. Sorry Birdland. Wayto excited about him after the draft.

I also was very high on Jake Arrieta as an Oriole. I thought he would be our #1 for years. Unfortunately that did not happen and now he is flourishing with the Cubs.

Also thought Gary Matthews Jr. aka Lil Sarge was going to be a stud for us when we acquired him in a trade.

Seems like I was wrong a lot. Ha.

There was also that Fiorentino guy! ;)

True, though I don't think I ever thought he'd be anything more than, say, Larry Bigbie or someone like that. I just thought he'd be better than Radhames Liz (who, by the way, made it back to the majors this year with the Pirates but has now been outrighted to AAA).

Definitely Hammonds tops the list for me. I remember him being compared to Rickey Henderson in terms of that combo of speed and power. Certainly the injuries derailed him but he never was a very good hitter, and certainly didn't get on base like Rickey could. Had a few decent years after leaving the O's, but nothing close to the hype.

Others that sprang to mind....

Craig Worthington

Luis Matos

Rocky Coppinger

Luis Mercedes

Jeff Ballard (one big year, otherwise nada... sort of like Sidney Ponson in that regard)

Juan Bell (acquired in the Eddie Murray trade with LA)

Manny Alexander (sticking with the "failed shortstop who should eventually replace Cal" theme)

Josh Bell (another Bell who disappointed)

Radhames Liz

I might have single handedly cursed Bundy. I made a big deal about how, b/c of his work ethic, training, and mechanics, he would never get hurt. Sorry Birdland. Wayto excited about him after the draft.

I also was very high on Jake Arrieta as an Oriole. I thought he would be our #1 for years. Unfortunately that did not happen and now he is flourishing with the Cubs.

Also thought Gary Matthews Jr. aka Lil Sarge was going to be a stud for us when we acquired him in a trade.

Seems like I was wrong a lot. Ha.

Matthews was a Big PED guy.

Archived