Who were you wrong about?

JohnD

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wally Bunker, who unfortunately suffered serial arm injuries. If an rookie today matched his '64 season, the hype would be endless.

If the O's had a 19-year-old starter who won 19 games, pitched 200+ innings, but had 4 K/9 and a FIP a run over his ERA there would be some hype, but also a lot of caution that this (his career) isn't likely to go well.

If the O's had a 19-year-old starter who won 19 games, pitched 200+ innings, but had 4 K/9 and a FIP a run over his ERA there would be some hype, but also a lot of caution that this (his career) isn't likely to go well.

He'd just be pitching to the defense.

Of course I was very excited by any number of young Orioles over the years. Some panned out, many didn't. Some because they weren't that good. Some because (in my opinion) the organization didn't see what it had. I still think Pickering, Cust, and John Stephens could have been contributing MLB players if given a real chance with the team. Stanicek, Luis Mercedes, Willis Roberts, Jose Mercedes, Rick Krivda, Harry Berrios... not so much. I thought John Parrish was going to be real good. I remember making some impassioned pleas to move Daniel Cabrera to the pen where he'd be a lights-out reliever. He never got the chance, but now I kind of have my doubts it would have worked.

He'd just be pitching to the defense.

I like to think that we've moved on from that. But then I remember folks telling me that Steve Trachsel had figured out how to succeed with a sub-1.00 K:BB ratio. He was just that smart, and whatever the term is for a right-handed crafty southpaw. Then he had a 8.39 ERA.

No mention of Daniel Cabrera. He flashed some elite pitching and downright nasty stuff, the kind of stuff that makes you think he could be a top 3 MLB pitcher, but never put it all together.

May 3rd and 9th, 2005 Cabrera made two consecutive starts. Each eight innings. The first with 9 Ks, the second with 11. One run allowed in the first, none in the second. Three and four walks. Seven hits allowed total. 16 innings, one run, 19 Ks.

I like to think that we've moved on from that. But then I remember folks telling me that Steve Trachsel had figured out how to succeed with a sub-1.00 K:BB ratio. He was just that smart, and whatever the term is for a right-handed crafty southpaw. Then he had a 8.39 ERA.
Trashman's technique was to take so much time between pitches batters would fall a sleep. Unfortunately he started to put himself to sleep as well.

How many top pitching prospects have we had over the 10 to 15 years that dominated all the way through the high minors and then crapped the bed when they got to the big leagues?

Matt Riley (that dude was a K machine in the minors)

Adam Loewen

Daniel Cabrera

The Entire Calvary: Brian Matsuz, Jake Arrieta, Zach Britton (as a starter)

A couple duds we traded for that came highly touted:

Kurt Ainsworth

Luis Rivera

Bundy looks like a strong possibility to be added to the list.

And I know I'm forgetting a ton.

Archived