3B Mark Reynolds

SS Luis Hernandez

LF Bigbie

CF Matos

RF Fiorintino

DH Majewski

C Brook Fordyce

SP Hayden Penn

Pretty much the all "Dark Years Team". That was tough. Fordyce was ok. And is lucky to be alive. But I'll add to your team

Penn

Riley

Loewen

Cabrera

G.Olson

Julio

Hoey

I was having trouble coming up with a name. And then this:

1B Chris Richard
That's the one. I remember thinking, and telling people, that this guy was going to be a GREAT hitter. I loved (and evidently was seduced and abandoned by) that sweet swing.

Too many to count. There was a guy named Pete Stanicek who looked like the answer at 2B but always ended up hurt. I had very high hopes for Hayden Penn. And yes, Matusz belongs on that list. He's an OK reliever but I had expected him to be a no. 2 starter at worst.

Pete Stanicek was the first guy I thought of. Looked like a solid ballplayer to me --although a review of his stats don't justify that notion. He was gone for good after 113 games.

Lots of things, but the one popping into my head now is I was one of the folks that argued we should move Jones to LF to make room for Felix Pie. :slytf:

In my defense, Jones was having a rough patch defensively, but history has rubbed that one in my face and then some.

I also thought Joe Mahoney would be a league average player.

o

Before each and every one of the Orioles' 59 games so far this season, I thought that the Orioles would win.

They have won 29, and lost 30.

So, I have been wrong about the fate of the Orioles 30 times so far this season.

Sir Sydney. I sat behind home plate one game and watched him absolutely DOMINATE the (admittedly bad) Minnesota Twins with rockets for fastballs and a curve that looked like it could orbit the Earth, and I thought that there was no way h wasn't a legit all-league #1 Star pitcher.

Outside of the O's I beat the drum one offseason about how, if we just paid the FA bill, Alfonso Soriano with his 40 steals and 40 home runs was the answer to EVERY problem the O's had, and would lead us to the WS.

And then he went right into the dumpster.

Sir Sydney. I sat behind home plate one game and watched him absolutely DOMINATE the (admittedly bad) Minnesota Twins with rockets for fastballs and a curve that looked like it could orbit the Earth, and I thought that there was no way h wasn't a legit all-league #1 Star pitcher.

Outside of the O's I beat the drum one offseason about how, if we just paid the FA bill, Alfonso Soriano with his 40 steals and 40 home runs was the answer to EVERY problem the O's had, and would lead us to the WS.

And then he went right into the dumpster.

food_duff.png

sidney-ponson.jpg

I remember thinking Josh Towers was going to be a stud. There was no logical reason for me to think that.

I saw Luis Mercedes spin around the bases a couple of times at Memorial Stadium and thought he would be a force of nature.

Also, Casey Kotchman. Wait, that wasn't me.

Pete Stanicek was the first guy I thought of. Looked like a solid ballplayer to me --although a review of his stats don't justify that notion. He was gone for good after 113 games.

In A ball Stanicek had an .869 OPS and 77 steals. Was 23, so a tad old for a top prospect, but still. Next year split between AA and AAA he was well over .800 with 38 steals. Injuries killed him.

Archived