Travis Snider's Swing

Orioles4Life21

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's totally awesome. What is he slugging since this? Like 1.500?

Herman posted that yesterday. Pretty sure the king of all stats and sabermetrics on this site knows that trying to prove a point based on a 1 game sample size is not particularly persuasive. :)

I knew Snider could get into a "swing" if he played on a consistent basis.

I see this as one of two things: they keep playing Snider because they want to advertise him in a potential trade, or he's played his way out of the "doghouse".

I see this as one of two things: they keep playing Snider because they want to advertise him in a potential trade, or he's played his way out of the "doghouse".

Or he had a minor injury that fans don't know about. It happens.

Maybe he was never in that "doghouse"?

They played De Aza more, trying to get his value up and you see that he is gone, and Travis is getting more ABs.

Haven't been here in a couple weeks so I just had a chance to go through the thread. First, baseball writers such as Angell and Boswell are a couple of my favorites, but I don't ever remember them breaking down player's swings. If they did it was most likely second hand because they are writers and good ones, but they aren't expert at the mechanics of baseball. They are experts on writing, not baseball.

There are guys here who are knowledgeable about statistics and history of the game more than myself. Drungo brings up some good points about Snider and his fly ball rates and higher than usual GB%.

Here's what I see with his swing. A lot has been made of it being loopy or long, but his numbers show he hits lefties better. I see him stay on pitches longer through the hitting zone often driving pitches the other way. I was concerned for a while because I didn't see him turning on many FBs, but he obviously has power because that last HR was launched. The first hit today was a FB he turned on well and drove in a run.

I also like his approach at the plate. He always looks at a lot of pitches (3.99 P/PA) and he has a better than average BB rate (9.9%).

I can't see any adjustments that need to made. He may have not his timing down until recently when he started receiving more regular reps. For his career he hits LHB almost exactly the same, albeit in far fewer ABs (actually better this year), but I see no reason to platoon him. He needs more time not less. If he doesn't pan out then it wasn't a huge investment.

Thanks Jon. Just stikres me as odd that a guy with muscles like popeye has a 400 lifetime SLG percentage. But he did show more last year. Love his general approach though. Hope he continues the positive trend.
From Baseball America - Ask BA section: To O's Draft Team - OUCH !!

Now that Blue Jays outfielder Travis Snider has become the first high school position player from the 2006 draft to make the big leagues, how would you compare his potential career path with the 2005 high school outfield class of Justin Upton, Jay Bruce, Cameron Maybin, Colby Rasmus and Andrew McCutchen? Also, how does he compare with the top high school players from 2007 (Mike Moustakas, Josh Vitters) and 2008 (Tim Beckham, Eric Hosmer)? As an aside, as good as the Orioles are looking with their recent drafts and their fleecing of the Mariners in the Adam Jones trade, do you think they regret passing on Snider for Billy Rowell?

Bob Rankin

Seattle

The biggest difference between Snider and the deep 2005 class is athleticism. All five of those players run well and can play center field, while Snider has below-average speed that limits him to an outfield corner. He has nothing to apologize for with the bat, however. Though he does strike out, Snider should hit for average and power while batting in the middle of Toronto's lineup for years. I'd rank him behind Upton and Bruce but ahead of the other three outfielders in terms of the long-term impact he'll have in the majors.

As a hitter, compared to the more recent premier high school players, Snider is in a class with Moustakas and Hosmer and ahead of Vitters and Beckham. Beckham does get extra credit for projecting as an above-average defender at shortstop, so as an overall prospect I'd put him in the same group with those other three players and ahead of Vitters.

Though the Orioles aren't anywhere close to giving up on Rowell, he did hit .248/.315/.368 in high Class A this season, so they'd have to prefer Snider. Baltimore didn't overdraft Rowell with the ninth overall selection in 2006, because he was held in high regard. But I did consider Snider the best prep hitter in that draft, and given that Rowell's range at third base was questionable and might necessitate a move to first base, I didn't understand why Rowell went five picks ahead of Snider.

At least we got something from that draft.

Sometimes I wonder if people are watching the same baseball games I am when I read posts on here:)

Just comical stuff that changes like the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're all thrilled to know what you, with all your baseball acumen, would do with Snider. *insert preferred sarcastic emoji here*

Archived