Manny Machado...

Oriolesallday

Please. Take Nolan out of the lineup and they score 19 runs. (And take Jones too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roy loves him some Nolan. He would hit him in every spot in the lineup if he had his way. :)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please. Take Nolan out of the lineup and they score 19 runs. (And take Jones too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was waiting for someone to point out that we scored 19 runs in a no Jones-Wieters-Reimold lineup.

If anything, last night's outburst was a testament to the randomness of baseball. Parmelee comes up and goes 4-4 with 2 HRs, Lough hits a 3-run shot (who's more likely to do that between him and Jones, btw?), and the team hits 8 HRs with what's clearly a B lineup.

We should probably sit Jones in favor of Lough more often.

OK, I'll talk about Manny now...

He could become a tremendous hitter. Significantly better than Adam Jones, for example. 13 homers in 63 games? That's nuts.

Could Manny be receive the first 9-figure contract in O's history? Hopefully we can get him on a deal similar to Pujols' first extension that kept him in STL. Buy out a few FA years, but set it up that he can still hit FA in his prime. That way, we can get another 5-6 years from him immediately, then let him get his insane paycheck elsewhere.

Could Manny be receive the first 9-figure contract in O's history? Hopefully we can get him on a deal similar to Pujols' first extension that kept him in STL. Buy out a few FA years, but set it up that he can still hit FA in his prime. That way, we can get another 5-6 years from him immediately, then let him get his insane paycheck elsewhere.

Manny should retire an Oriole. Angelos won't be around when he gets his 2nd deal, so we may actually pony up the dough.

Manny should retire an Oriole. Angelos won't be around when he gets his 2nd deal, so we may actually pony up the dough.

Exactly. I don't see a reason anyone wouldn't want him forever. He is one of the best young players in this organization in a long time IMO.

You see Manny with all this highlight reels on YouTube. And he's only 22. It takes some people full careers to get to the level he's at.

Right now Manny's sitting at .825 OPS; his season high was .868 back on May 12.

I predicted before the season began that Manny would post an .850+ OPS, and I haven't changed my mind. His power is developing and his eye is improving.

And after his 2-homer game last night, Manny's OPS sits at .855.

Outside of Trout and Harper, is Manny the best young player in baseball?
What is the cut off for young?

Let's call it 24 ("baseball age"). In that group you have:

Harper - 4.9 fWAR (14.9 cumulative, 22 yrs, 8 mos)

Trout - 3.8 (33.2 cum, 23 yrs, 10 mos)

Peterson - 3.2 (3.3 cum, 23 years, 2 mos)

Machado - 2.6 (12.4 cum, 22 yrs, 11 mos)

Bryant - 2.6 (2.6 cum, 23 yrs, 5 mos)(note -- Bryant was held back at start of the season for service time reasons)

Panik - 2.5 (4.1 cum, 24 yrs, 7 mos)

Arenado - 2.1 (7.6 cum, 24 yrs, 1 mo)

Pretty impressive list. I think this is kind of a golden age for young players. Manny certainly has a case for top 3 (3rd highest cumulative WAR in this group) but there are some guys who have come up in 2014/15 like Peterson and Bryant who are putting on quite a show. There are a lot of guys I didn't list here who are over 1.0 fWAR in less than half a season.

And by the way, I excluded pitchers.

Can we downshift on the expectations a little bit? Besides I'm not sure if there will be room for Manny in the HOF next to Nick "He Reminds Me of Stan Musial" Markakis or Matt "Mauer with Power" Wieters.

I'm not going to downshift my expectations. If he stays healthy, he's the best everyday player to play for this franchise since Cal.

I'm not going to downshift my expectations. If he stays healthy, he's the best everyday player to play for this franchise since Cal.
Since you brought up the C word, if he stays healthy he will finish with better numbers, save the streak. Sorry Cal.

Archived