I was complaining about Yesterday. This adds some perspective. A lot in this one.

weams

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering that the inning went: walk, walk, walk, pitching change, walk, strikeout, strikeout, it's kind of amazing Manny came as close as he did to making that play. I would have been already playing a movie in my head if I was out in the field in the fifth.

Buck did a good job defending Mike Wright. He did have some bad luck on batted balls that elevated his pitch count.

But his elevated pitch count was also caused by his inability to throw his secondary pitches for strikes. Most major league hitters can spoil a good fastball if they know what's coming.

None of what's quoted in the original post addresses my big complaint about yesterday, which is that Buck left Wright in at least two batters too long, and should have brought in Tyler Wilson earlier in the inning.

Sorry, this was on Buck. It was obvious in the 4th that Wright had lost the zone (he went 3-0 to both the 8 and 9 hitters), and it was only dumb luck that he wound up with a clean inning. What happened in the 5th was absolutely predictable, and he should have been pulled after the first BB. It was clear at that point Wright had no idea where the ball was going, and to make matters worse the home plate ump could see he was struggling with his command and took that as an opportunity to squeeze him. Even pitches that caught the zone were being called balls, which meant Wright's day was over. Leaving him in to load the bases was managerial malpractice.

I know Buck was thinking ahead to the Phillies' series, but damn the torpedoes you have to win this game first. Especially against the first place team in your division.

Why blame Buck? As far as I am concerned its on the pitcher. Winning 2 of 3

from the Yankees is good. How do you know his mind was on the Phillies?

I know that part of Buck's job is to "massage" players self esteem.

Buck's job is also to manage the entire team through 162 games. That means you try to get five innings out of your starter unless he's just shot. This isn't the old days when you pulled the starter after 1 1/3 because you had a hunch that he wasn't on, then brought in Sammy Stewart to go the next six. I also think that a lot of this "knowing he didn't have it that day" is hindsight. If he'd have gotten through the fifth okay (and it's not like he was predestined to get hit) you'd be talking about how he battled.

Buck's job is also to manage the entire team through 162 games. That means you try to get five innings out of your starter unless he's just shot. This isn't the old days when you pulled the starter after 1 1/3 because you had a hunch that he wasn't on, then brought in Sammy Stewart to go the next six. I also think that a lot of this "knowing he didn't have it that day" is hindsight. If he'd have gotten through the fifth okay (and it's not like he was predestined to get hit) you'd be talking about how he battled.

I agree with this, and lets not pretend that Buck himself hasn't said as much. He was very specific is saying he was going to extend the starters.

Buck said after the game that 3 guys were not available yesterday out of 'pen. He didn't say who, but I would bet that it was Roe, O'Day, and Brach. He mentioned how he wanted Brach for the Phillies lineup.

Tyler Wilson really helped a lot by going 3.33 innings yesterday.

Not only did he spare the rest of the bullpen from laboring, but he also kept the Yankees right where they were (5 runs), and gave the offense a chance to try to steal the game late. :cool:

Archived