Would you trade Bundy and Gausman for Hamels?

JohnD

Letting Markakis, Miller, and Cruz go will only look better as the years go on too. I liked all those guys quite a bit but we have done more than fine without them. Besides the issue wasn't really how they'd do their first year or even second year, it was about the third/fourth. Markakis wasn't the same hitter he was when we extended him years ago. Nelson was already 35 and guys like him don't age well at all, and Miller plays a position that our FO knows your luck can change in a heartbeat. Not even two years ago Jim Johnson was a 50 save guy, this year he was a MiL FA. I see he's doing well with the Braves but he's not closing and certailny would not be worth the money he would have gotten had we given him a big deal. I know Miller is a better pitcher than Johnson but the point stands.

Miller is NOT a better pitcher than the durability and achievement of Jim Johnson coming off two 50 Save Seasons. He is not. He HAD better STUFF. Filthy Stuff. Dominant Stuff. When he was healthy.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miller is NOT a better pitcher than the durability and achievement of Jim Johnson coming off two 50 Save Seasons. He is not. He HAD better STUFF. Filthy Stuff. Dominant Stuff. When he was healthy.

True, JJ is definitely more durable. My point is I guess I am glad we're not paying either over 10 million. Sometimes I think we should appreciate the FO's conservative approach when it comes to money. I mean look at the Padres. Everyone toasted their GM for the bold moves he made and make no mistake he did take chances but here we are and it's not eevn the first day of summer and their manager is out of a job. "Moo" Kemp is hitting worse than Ryan Flaherty.

True, JJ is definitely more durable. My point is I guess I am glad we're not paying either over 10 million. Sometimes I think we should appreciate the FO's conservative approach when it comes to money. I mean look at the Padres. Everyone toasted their GM for the bold moves he made and make no mistake he did take chances but here we are and it's not eevn the first day of summer and their manager is out of a job. "Moo" Kemp is hitting worse than Ryan Flaherty.

A young, untested, "wunderkind" that for the first time has been given an unlimited budget sure can blow it playing fantasy baseball. Can't he?

Heck. Ben's just about as bad.

Anthopoulos is probably the worst GM in MLB history. Given his investments.

A young, untested, "wunderkind" that for the first time has been given an unlimited budget sure can blow it playing fantasy baseball. Can't he. Heck. Ben's just about as bad.

Cherrington? But yeah what I've come to learn watching first MacPhail and now Duquette i'ts not how much money you spend, it's how you spend it. And I think by and large we've done a good job with that in the Duquetet years. SD's kid took a big risk and as I said can't deny that but seems like every off season in every sport someone does this and seems often than not that it backfires. Remember when the Sox got Adrian Gonzales and it was going to be game over for the rest of the AL East?

And whoever paid him more would be wrong as well. Just because someone will do it, does not mean anyone could support it.

Just talking realities of the market. Outside of homegrown, a trade for someone like Hamels is the most prudent way for Baltimore to acquire a present impact arm. As you note, it certainly isn't going to be through free agent prices. Maybe you get a discount on a high risk item like Ubaldo and lady luck decides she likes you for a few years. That's about it.

Just talking realities of the market. Outside of homegrown, a trade for someone like Hamels is the most prudent way for Baltimore to acquire a present impact arm. As you note, it certainly isn't going to be through free agent prices. Maybe you get a discount on a high risk item like Ubaldo and lady luck decides she likes you for a few years. That's about it.

I think that is a better model.

I think that is a better model.

You could make a solid case. You could also make a solid case for the Cubs approach of identifying and acquiring depressed assets they believe they can work with while also identifying the impact free agent (Lester) that checks off enough boxes to be worth the rare big investment. There isn't a team in baseball that can't win while being saddled with one bad FA contract.

You could make a solid case. You could also make a solid case for the Cubs approach of identifying and acquiring depressed assets they believe they can work with while also identifying the impact free agent (Lester) that checks off enough boxes to be worth the rare big investment. There isn't a team in baseball that can't win while being saddled with one bad FA contract.

The Cubs have had to be bad for over a century for their approach to finally take hold.

Besides. Ubaldo helps himself with the bat.

Don't think for a second that having the high drafts before that helped fill the cup to the brim.

That is how they got Mr. Bryant. I do think you have to give Theo and friends some credit though Weams. But it reminds to be seen how good the Cubs are. I myself am hoping it's the Pirates in that division. I admittingly have a soft spot for them despite '71 and '79 due to like Henry Hill having a Pittsburgh connection but not that kind of Pittsburgh connection.

Miller out and potentially lost for the season.
He could be out a while, but I hadn't read anything about the rest of the season. There isn't talk at this time about surgery.
Miller underwent an MRI on Wednesday morning, which revealed a strain of the flexor mass, a muscle in the left forearm.

"I think that was the positive that came out from all of it," Miller said. "Structurally everything looks good; it's just a matter of calming down the muscle. The peace of mind is that a muscle strain is comparatively a much less serious situation [than a ligament tear]."

Miller said he would not pick up a baseball for 10-14 days, after which he will be re-evaluated and a further course of rehabilitation formulated.

source - ESPN

Archived