Would you trade Bundy and Gausman for Hamels?

JohnD

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Hamels wants to stay in the NL. Philly would want at least two of Gausman, Bundy, Tillman, Gonzo, Wright, Wilson, plus.

I would do Bundy + Tillman for Hamels. I doubt Philly would even listen to that offer. Bundy is looking more like another failed future "ace" in a long list of recent failures.

I bet Philly is looking for something like Gausman, Wright, and Cisco. No way the O's give up that much, but I'm sure someone will. As long as its not an AL East team. I believe the Phillies negotations with LA last year started w/ asking for LA's top 3 prospects, who were all top 20 prospects, Pederson, Seager, and the 18 year old phenom (name?).

lol.....wait, are you being serious?

Not joking. Their spending given their market size doesn't scream cheap to anyone who doesn't want to ignore the realities of markets.

Some teams have a larger margin of error

Agreed, but even the teams with larger margins for error need their own prospects to pan out, especially pitching.

Herman,

You cherry pick your facts in order to support your unsupported position

You fail to mention, that DD signed JJ to a new extension during the last season. So while technically correct, the money was not spent in the off-season, the cost is still absorbed into the payroll.

The Nationals are in spending frenzy, they are 3rd behind the Dodgers and the Yankees.

http://www.ibtimes.com/mlb-payrolls-2015-dodgers-yankees-nationals-are-baseballs-biggest-spenders-1871096

While the Dodgers and the Yankees with deep pockets that wish to over spend, this does not make the Orioles cheapskates.

Lets also not forget the raises that the current players (Davis, Wieters, Tillman, Gonzalez, Pearce, Norris, etc) received.

Herman,

You cherry pick your facts in order to support your unsupported position

You fail to mention, that DD signed JJ to a new extension during the last season. So while technically correct, the money was not spent in the off-season, the cost is still absorbed into the payroll.

The Nationals are in spending frenzy, they are 3rd behind the Dodgers and the Yankees.

http://www.ibtimes.com/mlb-payrolls-2015-dodgers-yankees-nationals-are-baseballs-biggest-spenders-1871096

While the Dodgers and the Yankees with deep pockets that wish to over spend, this does not make the Orioles cheapskates.

Unsupported position? What in demand free agent have they signed? (Jimenez wasn't in demand) Will you have the same ridiculous opinion if they let Wieters and Chen go after this season? Will you have the same opinion when they don't spend money to replace the guys they lose after the season?

They were in a position to win and they went into the season with the worst corner outfielders in baseball instead of spending a little money in the offseason. How much better would the lineup be with a real leadoff hitter? It would allow Manny to slide down in the order and have more opportunities to hit with men on base. They are a good team that could have been a great team.

So the first two paragraphs have nothing to do with the last one. You just feel like you need to bring up their cheapness in every post though so you can make your point?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Incorrect. Guys on their rookie contracts are cheap. Cheap talent for a team that doesn't have a large payroll is important so how does the first two paragraphs not have anything to do with the last one?

Lets also not forget the raises that the current players (Davis, Wieters, Tillman, Gonzalez, Pearce, Norris, etc) received.

That's the cost of doing business. They didn't have a choice unless they traded them away.

Exactly, no one being of sound mind, could reasonably call this team cheap, in terms of payroll.

smh. Their payroll is high this year due in large part to guys who are at the end of their rookie/1st contracts. It is what it is.

smh. Their payroll is high this year due in large part to guys who are at the end of their rookie/1st contracts. It is what it is.

Their payroll didnt just get up there this season, it has been rising steadily. If you was a fan of this team and followed this team, you would have already know that.

Just because they choose to not spend like the big dogs, you get on your soapbox and you do everything in your power to convince us you are right.

Yes, as the mods will point out, this is a discussion board, to discuss the topics.

While DD likes to find the cheaper diamonds in the rough, he is doing what many other GMs have started to mimic. You can have big $$$ at every position.

I find your theory that they went into the season with the worse corner outfielders in baseball, laughable, and not able to back up with either the eye test of the saber metrics.

That's the cost of doing business. They didn't have a choice unless they traded them away.

Those cheap teams with more lucrative markets and tv revenues do that all the time. The evaluation of a team is not how many "in demand" FAs they sign to hamstringing contracts. No matter how many times you shout it from your perch.

Just because they choose to not spend like the big dogs, you get on your soapbox and you do everything in your power to convince us you are right.

Yes, as the mods will point out, this is a discussion board, to discuss the topics.

Sometimes he may have a good point in one of his discussions. The general tone and underlying theme remain unchanged. And get a bit old when the team is competitive once again. When the results shine through, the logic of the Orioles team building appears to be validated.

Those cheap teams with more lucrative markets and tv revenues do that all the time. The evaluation of a team is not how many "in demand" FAs they sign to hamstringing contracts. No matter how many times you shout it from your perch.

You only have to look at the Phillies to see how big $$$ can really hamper your abilities when the talent level falls off.

I'm not trading two elite talents for the right to pay Hammels his contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So long as you realize Hamels would be paid much better were he a free agent this year. It's not an unreasonable contract by any stretch -- the problem is the longer you wait to trade him the risk the acquiring team takes on increases and the chances of him providing significant surplus against a "market" contract decreases.

Unsupported position? What in demand free agent have they signed? (Jimenez wasn't in demand) Will you have the same ridiculous opinion if they let Wieters and Chen go after this season? Will you have the same opinion when they don't spend money to replace the guys they lose after the season?

They were in a position to win and they went into the season with the worst corner outfielders in baseball instead of spending a little money in the offseason. How much better would the lineup be with a real leadoff hitter? It would allow Manny to slide down in the order and have more opportunities to hit with men on base. They are a good team that could have been a great team.

Incorrect. Guys on their rookie contracts are cheap. Cheap talent for a team that doesn't have a large payroll is important so how does the first two paragraphs not have anything to do with the last one?

Herman, you crack me up.

Archived