Dempsey on Bautista - "We would have taken care of him in my day. It wouldn't have been pretty."

ArtVanDelay

I don't want to even get into the whole thing. There's the nasty exchange with Jay Gibbons' wife, all the backstabbing rumors of him trying to manage the Orioles, and then one other pathetic exchange between him and Michael Reghi while doing a game in the dark years that I'm not relating again.

He is not a character guy... by any means.

No worries. You don't have to repeat it if you don't want to. That's definitely fair.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want to even get into the whole thing. There's the nasty exchange with Jay Gibbons' wife, all the backstabbing rumors of him trying to manage the Orioles, and then one other pathetic exchange between him and Michael Reghi while doing a game in the dark years that I'm not relating again.

He is not a character guy... by any means.

I wanna hear this. I always had a soft spot for ole "track, wall, see you later."

I wanna hear this. I always had a soft spot for ole "track, wall, see you later."

I liked Reghi too.

Demper deserves enough Orioles' respect that I'm not saying what it was. No need to dishearten the faithful fans.

Heh I was talking about Joey Bats. I like old Demper. I remember attending a game when he managed the Tides when they were part of the Mets org and my aunt's connections got my brother and I seats in the dugout because we participated in a water balloon toss between innings. I don't recall him being too happy about that lol and I think he even cursed but I like the guy.
Real clown, not very funny.

18f12ke8xsyeljpg.jpg

Hear me, and hear me well. The day will come. Oh yes! Mark my words, Joey Bats. Your day of reckoning is coming, when an evil wind will blow through your little play world and wipe that smug smile off your face. And I'll be there, in all my glory, watching, watching, watching as it all comes crumbling down.

What smile? I think the guy's face would break if he smiled.

Ill get pummeled for this, and believe me I love Demper, and he's a friend, but that kindve macho talk doesn't do much for me.Bautista is out of line of course, and he looks like an egomaniac, but talking about physical payback is silly and unnecessary.It may make for a good TV comment but its really counterproductive.Its also a bit unprofessional.I know Demper well, he needs to pull it back a bit. People need to settle down. In fact, when Wright hit him in the first, it was monumentally stupid to give a warning to both benches. It clearly wasn't intentional.None of this rhetoric helps the situation.

This. Any "retaliation" is against Buck's style and also completely counterproductive! Screws our pen if we do it and lowers us to Joey Bats' embarrassing level. Just Win Baby! THAT'S your revenge.

And Demper is right tho! In HIS day this would have been taken care of on the field. Done and done. In today's PC world this just isn't worth escalating it.

Ill get pummeled for this, and believe me I love Demper, and he's a friend, but that kindve macho talk doesn't do much for me.Bautista is out of line of course, and he looks like an egomaniac, but talking about physical payback is silly and unnecessary.It may make for a good TV comment but its really counterproductive.Its also a bit unprofessional.I know Demper well, he needs to pull it back a bit. People need to settle down. In fact, when Wright hit him in the first, it was monumentally stupid to give a warning to both benches. It clearly wasn't intentional.None of this rhetoric helps the situation.

It was a classic bad decision. It had the complete opposite effect from the intention. It was only because Buck was managing (and not Dempster) that things didn't get ugly. If only bad decisions like that were limited to baseball umpiring.

It was a classic bad decision. It had the complete opposite effect from the intention. It was only because Buck was managing (and not Dempster) that things didn't get ugly. If only bad decisions like that were limited to baseball umpiring.
This guy was one of the very worst umpires in baseball. Every one knows it.

Frank (no last name needed here) was notorious for hanging over the plate and lead the National League in hit by pitch. Don Drysdale was the guy who hit him the most and Drysdale (if memory serves) also hit more batters one year than any other pitcher.

Anyway, in the 1966 World Series, as the story goes, Frank came up in Game 1 with Drysdale on the mound. Frank leaned over the plate. Drysdale, because it was the World Series, made no effort to brush back Frank. Fastball, and Frank homered.....and the Orioles were on the way to their first title....

Moral - it's ok to try to take over the plate. But no one should whine when the pitcher brushes you back. Bob Gibson would have taken Bautista's head off. Mike Wright has a lot to learn...

I'm a bit surprised no one has pointed out the difference between Bautista getting hit and Jones getting hit. What an illustration of professionalism, or lack thereof. Bautista gets his jersey grazed, makes a federal case about it, and mugs a rookie who has no control, little idea what he's doing out there, and no beef with Bautista. Jones gets hit on like the fifth try by some kid who is clearly throwing at him but isn't good enough to execute an efficient beanball, takes it like a man, drops his bat and gear, and jogs to first base. Then Demarlo Hale has the nerve to argue when his pitcher was clearly throwing at Adam. At least the kid from the Phillies just acknowledged he was throwing at us and walked off the mound earlier this week, with little argument from Sandberg.

Bautista continues to act like a small, petulant child and has unfathomably overtaken David Ortiz as my least favorite player in baseball. I'm floored I actually just typed that. Guy has a chip on his shoulder the size of the Yukon Territory. Man I hope we crush them tomorrow - vent over.

Archived