Dempsey on Bautista - "We would have taken care of him in my day. It wouldn't have been pretty."

ArtVanDelay

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So did Bonds, except he didn't whine quite as much. Hanging over the plate seems to me like a recipe for success -- I wonder why more players don't do it.

Frank Robinson used to hang over the plate, too, and used to get hit by pitches a lot. Don't ever remember him doing bat flips after a walk or anything close to that.

Bautista stands close to the plate. That's why he gets hit a lot. Get used to it.

What would Dempsey have done back in his day? We've already hit him a bunch of times. This "back in our day" gets old. And you can bet that some player from this era will be saying the same kind of stuff in 30 years.

If he were a second baseman or SS he cd get taken out on a play at second, if he were a catcher ditto at the plate. But he's pretty safe in the OF where one wd have to wait until games at OPACY where fans cd pelt him with batteries, plastic bottles, or a dart like Chris Chambliss found in his arm once after hitting a triple at Fenway, etc.

Ill get pummeled for this, and believe me I love Demper, and he's a friend, but that kindve macho talk doesn't do much for me.Bautista is out of line of course, and he looks like an egomaniac, but talking about physical payback is silly and unnecessary.It may make for a good TV comment but its really counterproductive.Its also a bit unprofessional.I know Demper well, he needs to pull it back a bit. People need to settle down. In fact, when Wright hit him in the first, it was monumentally stupid to give a warning to both benches. It clearly wasn't intentional.None of this rhetoric helps the situation.

Of course it was monumentally stupid, but you'd be surprised at how often the words "monumentally stupid" and "CB Bucknor" find their way into the same sentence. Bucknor didn't make his decision based on the pitch that brushed the front of Bautista's jersey; he made it based on Bautista's petulant reaction to a pitch that was in fact just a little inside. A real umpire would have told him to grow up and take his base. But then again, nobody has ever confused CB Bucknor with a real umpire.

Of course it was monumentally stupid, but you'd be surprised at how often the words "monumentally stupid" and "CB Bucknor" find their way into the same sentence. Bucknor didn't make his decision based on the pitch that brushed the front of Bautista's jersey; he made it based on Bautista's petulant reaction to a pitch that was in fact just a little inside. A real umpire would have told him to grow up and take his base. But then again, nobody has ever confused CB Bucknor with a real umpire.

Very Good post.

I don't want to even get into the whole thing. There's the nasty exchange with Jay Gibbons' wife, all the backstabbing rumors of him trying to manage the Orioles, and then one other pathetic exchange between him and Michael Reghi while doing a game in the dark years that I'm not relating again.

He is not a character guy... by any means.

If you disliked every sports figure for not being a "character guy" you must dislike more than 50% of all atheletes, not to mention people in general. I personally dislike people who like to judge other people and wish to lambast anyone for any slight perception of a "politically incorrect" remark. To me, I think you don't be judging lest you be judged. But that is just me.....

Intentionally trying to hurt people is worse than a little bit of taunting. I don't like these comments by Dempsey, its totally out of line.

I for one totally disagree. Comments never hurt anyone. What really needs to be done. IS to actually throw at him. Then maybe he WOULD ACTUALLY have something to react to for real. His theatrics IMO are simply a ploy so he can hug the plate and nobody will pitch him inside. In a way, that is kind of smart, not stupid. So inother words he is acting stupid but that is just a cover so he maintains a huge advantage hanging out over the plate. I cannot believe all the astute baseball fans here don't see this for what it really is! What Buck needs to do is start some pitcher the last game of the series (someone he doesn't mind missing a turn due to suspension) and throw one right square at him in his first AB. Tommy Hunter would be a good choice, but he isn't a starter anymore, but I might just start him anyway.

He also played for Billy Martin.

Good point. I for one find it astonishing that several poster s here go to such extremes to criticize Dempsey! Just don't get it! Other than these isolated extremists I read posts here quite frequently, I would be willing to bet if you surveyed Orioles fans old enough to recall Dempsey's playing days they would list him in the top five beloved orioles and likely behind only Brooks, Cal, Boog and perhaps Palmer!

Good point. I for one find it astonishing that several poster s here go to such extremes to criticize Dempsey! Just don't get it! Other than these isolated extremists I read posts here quite frequently, I would be willing to bet if you surveyed Orioles fans old enough to recall Dempsey's playing days they would list him in the top five beloved orioles and likely behind only Brooks, Cal, Boog and perhaps Palmer!

They aren't crass boobs and never spied for PA,

Archived