Sun articles on recruiting and potential transfers

inmn

Maese notes that expenses don't always fit in neat buckets, what he doesn't tell you is that there is an even geater disparity among Md and other ACC schools in terms of total expenses (travel etc). To the extent womens outspends men's tells you it is not a budget (Yow) issue.

http://tinyurl.com/28384m

Rumors that Gregory and Hayes will be the ones to free up scholarships.

Note that Hayes has denied he will transfer, and GW was quoted as saying that Vaquez will be playing on the wing next year.

http://tinyurl.com/24d22o

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then again, how much does it cost to recruit in your own backyard? Bowie, Gregory, Neal, Hayes, Vasquez, Dupree, and Gist are half the team and within an hour's drive. I'm sure I'm missing some names, also. But everyone knows this is a basketball hotbed. And everyone complains about how so many local players end up elsewhere. But with so many local players already on the team, it's not like anyone has to travel far to recruit.

Bowie and Tucker were on Top 100 – 150 lists on Scout and Rivals, but not fully consensus Top 100 on that RSCI list… I think they both showed a lot of promise this year….. does anyone actually think those are bad recruits?

Burney is another 6’9 very good athlete, willing to play defense, with a raw offensive game… verballed to Miami, UVA offered… does anyone really think the Top 12 teams in the country ranked above, are bringing better bigs off the bench?

The problem is Gary is bringing in mostly role players and bench players. He's gotta bring in impact starters. Its nice to bring in 5 guys that can help you, but its not very useful if all 5 need to be secondary or tertiary players.

I don't know much about Mosley other than his rankings, but if he's not a lot better than Bowie, then we're in trouble.

Bowie is a role player. He might be able to be a starter at some point in his career, but I don't think he's gonna ever be a major impact player unless he really improves his handle and jump shot. He won't be as good as Drew Nicholas was, IMO. He's an exciting guy to watch, but I see a lot more Andre Collins than I do Drew Nicholas or Chris McCray.

I would agree with you that it shows, to be back amoung the elite, we do need to occassionally sign the best of the best... Top 20 recruits......

I would disagree with anyone that says our overall talent 1-12 next year is not comparable with the best.

If you disagree, lets go through player by player, team by team with their Scout, and Rivals ranking...

Mosley is the best player in Baltimore this year, basically a Top 50 player.... described as doing everything well, but nothing great... not supposed to be a super athlete...

Bowie was good enough to play at a National Power for Montrose, one of the best players in DC.... was a Top 150 player.... great quicks, good perimeter d... fantastic getting to the rack, but has to improve his shot.... was good enough to get a lot of mts as a freshman, and score in double figures in the ACC games he started...

Mosley might be better.... but would you expect the difference between the two of them is 'profound'?

Only, if you go 1 -12 could you even make an argument that our talent is as good. Through 8 or 9 players, basically the most you'll see in a college rotation you'll have a lot harder time making that point.

Besides, you can't go on rankings anyway. Again, you got to look at the players on the court and watch their play. On paper Hayes, Neal, Gregory, Walker, Dupree look like they should all provide great depth but the truth of the matter is none of them look like they are ACC caliber players. There was so much available time for those freshmen big men to jump in and take some valuable minutes. Dupree and Walker pretty much dropped the ball and were relegated to the bench after having their chance and Gregory never got off the bench period. You can hope and expect these guys to develop into good ACC players but from what you've seen on the court you can't come anywhere close to making that assumption.

Like someone said earlier it is very telling that Gary is recruiting over a lot of these guys, something he rarely does. We got two JUCO's coming in, one a guard when we already have 5 on the roster, and a big man for whom there is no scholarship available for the moment. We are also still recruiting the '09 class hard even though we have no ships available.

You could easily make the argument that the bottom of our bench has never been that good, even when we were making the tourney every year. Take a look at some of the players who used to get minutes compared to our current roster. I think you will find that the current roster is more talented:

Nick Bostic

Matt Kovaric (I think he actually started for a while!)

Mario Lucas

Mike Mard. (not going to attempt to spell that one)

THe 7-7 guy from Dematha who never played a game

Kurtish Schultz

This is all I have for now, but I think there was a walk on who was given a scholarship a few years back (I can't remember who). I think we have always had a mixed bag in terms of talent.

It is easy for Greene to say this now. Could he of gotten into MD? I dont know and would like to know. One poster makes the commeent "why would Gary direspect the recruit he was talking to on the phone" thats true, maybe Greene didnt give Gary the respect he deserves, only Gary and Greene know that answer.

It is good to see Booth making a impact in Baltimore, he did well this year getting Mosley and last year with DuPree and Gregory. I hope Gregory stays around and improves enough to play, I believe he could. If he is unhappy. move on. DuPree will be a force next year, watch.

Lets see what Chuck does in the recruiting scene before we make our final judgement of Gary.

Here's more information on Williams' judge of talent and recruiting capability...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/maryland_terps/blog/2008/03/ouch_1.html

I think that article says a lot. He had the chance to get a local kid and he barely gives him the time of day.

This area is a hotbed for talent, and Gary need to exploit it. It sounds to me as if he's not putting in the effort.

I think that article says a lot. He had the chance to get a local kid and he barely gives him the time of day.

This area is a hotbed for talent, and Gary need to exploit it. It sounds to me as if he's not putting in the effort.

Depending on how technical you want to get, as many as eleven of the fourteen players on this year's team were local:

Gregory, Dupree - Baltimore

Pearman - Columbia

McAlpin, Gist - Silver Spring

Bowie - Greenbelt

Hayes, Walker, Neal - Virginia

Milbourne went to Oak Hill Academy, Vasquez to Montrose Christian.

And, if you REALLY want to get into detail, Osby is originally from Richmond :P

So, let's not act as though this is 2003, when we only had five legitimately local players (Gilchrist, Garrison, McCray, Collins, and Bowers).

Depending on how technical you want to get, as many as eleven of the fourteen players on this year's team were local:

Gregory, Dupree - Baltimore

Pearman - Columbia

McAlpin, Gist - Silver Spring

Bowie - Greenbelt

Hayes, Walker, Neal - Virginia

Milbourne went to Oak Hill Academy, Vasquez to Montrose Christian.

And, if you REALLY want to get into detail, Osby is originally from Richmond :P

So, let's not act as though this is 2003, when we only had five legitimately local players (Gilchrist, Garrison, McCray, Collins, and Bowers).

Other than Dupree and Gist, they are all filler. Here are a few of the misses from the last two classes of the top of my head :Freeman, Wright, Reynolds, Delaney, Lawson, Greene, Durrant, Beasley, Vaughn, Smith, and I am sure there are others. The point is that Md should be getting the cream not the leftovers.

Archived