Sun articles on recruiting and potential transfers

inmn

Other than Dupree and Gist, they are all filler. Here are a few of the misses from the last two classes of the top of my head :Freeman, Wright, Reynolds, Delaney, Lawson, Greene, Durrant, Beasley, Vaughn, Smith, and I am sure there are others. The point is that Md should be getting the cream not the leftovers.

Bingo. Unfortunately Gary is a in a comfortable situation where a lot of fans idolize him so he can do no wrong and with the Girls program doing so well, I think Yow has given him a pass. Yow is probably happy he comes under budget on his recruiting travel budget (less than the girls program) and the Comcast Center is still full.

I'm sure the program is still making money for the University so really, who cares if they've become a second class ACC basketball team? I mean, you can look through this board and see excuse after excuse why it's not Gary's fault, yet the program is what it is. I'm sure Yow just sees dollars signs and Williams has comfort and money and already knows his place in Maryland basketball history is cemented.

Everyone is very secure and happy, so really, it's only us fans who expect more that are left sadly disappointed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bingo. Unfortunately Gary is a in a comfortable situation where a lot of fans idolize him so he can do no wrong and with the Girls program doing so well, I think Yow has given him a pass. Yow is probably happy he comes under budget on his recruiting travel budget (less than the girls program) and the Comcast Center is still full.

I'm sure the program is still making money for the University so really, who cares if they've become a second class ACC basketball team? I mean, you can look through this board and see excuse after excuse why it's not Gary's fault, yet the program is what it is. I'm sure Yow just sees dollars signs and Williams has comfort and money and already knows his place in Maryland basketball history is cemented.

Everyone is very secure and happy, so really, it's only us fans who expect more that are left sadly disappointed.

Right. Because if there's one thing we know about Gary Williams, it's that he's not particularly competitive. He's very happy just coasting by with subpar results.

Right. Because if there's one thing we know about Gary Williams, it's that he's not particularly competitive. He's very happy just coasting by with subpar results.

He sure doesn't compete on the recruiting trail. There is no excuse for all of the talent we let get away. I know there is some shady stuff going on with some kids and I know you're never going to get all of them but his record with the top kids in Maryland/DC has been horrible.

If he put more effort into recruiting he would make things a whole lot easier on himself but the one thing about Gary is he will never change. He is a stubborn to a fault and won't concede. It has been a positive and a gift in a lot of ways but it could also end up being his curse and his downfall.

Man, I can't disagree with this opinion any more vehemently.

Criticizing, not liking, or even blindly bashing Gary is one thing, but saying that he doesn't care, and that Yow also doesn't care is just...well, its way out there, lets put it that way.

Criticizing, not liking, or even blindly bashing Gary is one thing, but saying that he doesn't care, and that Yow also doesn't care is just...well, its way out there, lets put it that way.

I couldn't agree with you any more Mack.

As an outsider to this situation I cannot believe some of the posts I read from Maryland fans. It's almost like people either don't remember what Maryland Basketball was or what Gary Williams has meant to your school and your program. I'm 36 years old, grew up rooting for Maryland, and still root for them except when they play Carolina. I know there are some out there who remember Bob Wade, Rudy Archer, almost getting the death penalty before Gary got there. Gary Williams has NEVER been known as a great recruiter, I don't know why people don't realize this. I think you guys have had 4 McDonald's All Americans since he's been there, and he had one (Jimmy Jackson) at Ohio State. It's not like he suddenly stopped recruiting these guys, he never did.

It was Gary who developed all of your Sweet 16 teams, both of your Final Four teams, and your National Championship team. I almost give him MORE credit than Coach K or even my beloved Coaches Smith and Roy Williams, as they can have Michael Jordan "just visiting" the weekend they bring the recruits in. Those programs sell themselves, and the coaches just do the rest. Gary Williams built your program from the absolute bottom and built them into a consistent ACC contender. Again, remember where you guys were in 1991, it's almost hard to fathom how many great things he's done there.

How many teams have been to more NCAA tournaments than Maryland since 1994? I'd be willing to bet there aren't 10-15 schools. I don't think some of you guys don't know how good you have it.

Yes, they were disappointing down the stretch this year, but you guys have short memories. They were a #4 seed in the tourney last year. Take a step back and really think about what this guy has done while at College Park. You almost didn't have a program there 17 years ago. As a Carolina fan, I'd love for Maryland to get rid of Gary Williams, believe me.

As an outsider to this situation I cannot believe some of the posts I read from Maryland fans. It's almost like people either don't remember what Maryland Basketball was or what Gary Williams has meant to your school and your program. I'm 36 years old, grew up rooting for Maryland, and still root for them except when they play Carolina. I know there are some out there who remember Bob Wade, Rudy Archer, almost getting the death penalty before Gary got there. Gary Williams has NEVER been known as a great recruiter, I don't know why people don't realize this. I think you guys have had 4 McDonald's All Americans since he's been there, and he had one (Jimmy Jackson) at Ohio State. It's not like he suddenly stopped recruiting these guys, he never did.

It was Gary who developed all of your Sweet 16 teams, both of your Final Four teams, and your National Championship team. I almost give him MORE credit than Coach K or even my beloved Coaches Smith and Roy Williams, as they can have Michael Jordan "just visiting" the weekend they bring the recruits in. Those programs sell themselves, and the coaches just do the rest. Gary Williams built your program from the absolute bottom and built them into a consistent ACC contender. Again, remember where you guys were in 1991, it's almost hard to fathom how many great things he's done there.

How many teams have been to more NCAA tournaments than Maryland since 1994? I'd be willing to bet there aren't 10-15 schools. I don't think some of you guys don't know how good you have it.

Yes, they were disappointing down the stretch this year, but you guys have short memories. They were a #4 seed in the tourney last year. Take a step back and really think about what this guy has done while at College Park. You almost didn't have a program there 17 years ago. As a Carolina fan, I'd love for Maryland to get rid of Gary Williams, believe me.

You know, once the biggest fans of the two biggest rivals for Maryland on this board come out and say that they would LOVE to see Gary Williams fired, you would think it would carry some weight.

Other than Dupree and Gist, they are all filler.

Bowie, Hayes, Milbourne, and (oh, by the way) VASQUEZ are filler?

Uh huh. Right. Sure.

Here are a few of the misses from the last two classes of the top of my head :Freeman, Wright, Reynolds, Delaney, Lawson, Greene, Durrant, Beasley, Vaughn, Smith, and I am sure there are others. The point is that Md should be getting the cream not the leftovers.

So, had Gary Williams put in more effort on those guys, how many of them would we have got?

Could they have all still decided to go elsewhere, along with some of the guys we DID get who would not have been recruited enough?

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/maryland_terps/blog/2008/03/march_22_terps_qa.html

Andrew: My question is related to recruiting. It seems like five-to-ten years ago, whoever was evaluating talent for the Terps was finding diamonds in the rough like Joe Smith, Juan Dixon and Lonny Baxter on a consistent basis. Recently, that hasn't been so. Is Gary the main evaluator of talent or did the previous assistant coaches like Hahn and Patsos serve as the primary evaluators? Seems like the Terps have erred in their evaluations of who they should give scholarships the past few years. Thanks!

Don Markus: I think Billy Hahn and also Art Perry, who was the assistant responsible for finding and signing Joe Smith, had a lot more experience in finding the kind of players who fit Williams' system. Jimmy Patsos and Dave Dickerson evolved into pretty good recruiters as well. Williams was hoping that Rob Moxley was going to fill the void, but he went back to Charlotte after one year with the promise of becoming its next head coach after Bobby Lutz retired. Now the bulk of the recruiting has fallen on Chuck Driesell and Keith Booth, as well as Joe Harrington. Harrington was a great recruiter when he was an assistant and later a head coach, so it might pick up the next couple of years as Driesell and Booth get experience. Booth had his first big get with Sean Mosley, and the former Terps star could be the key guy getting talent out of Baltimore. In other words, Williams leaves a lot of responsibility to his assistants for recruiting, and that might have to change in the future,

Something that tends to be overlooked in this kind of discussion.

I agree with you. Nobody... is satisfied with Maryland's performance. What the disagreement has been is what to do about it. Some think that GW should be replaced, and most don't.

Other than Dupree and Gist, they are all filler. Here are a few of the misses from the last two classes of the top of my head :Freeman, Wright, Reynolds, Delaney, Lawson, Greene, Durrant, Beasley, Vaughn, Smith, and I am sure there are others. The point is that Md should be getting the cream not the leftovers.

Actually, the one player I'm surprised he didn't go after that fits the type of player he usually likes is Scotty Reynolds, the little guard who went to Villanova. He wasn't a HS All-American, but he was still a great high school player who fit the Juan Dixon mold. And he could create his own offense. And from what I've heard, he's a great kid - unlike the forward who went to Syracuse.

Actually, the one player I'm surprised he didn't go after that fits the type of player he usually likes is Scotty Reynolds, the little guard who went to Villanova. He wasn't a HS All-American, but he was still a great high school player who fit the Juan Dixon mold. And he could create his own offense. And from what I've heard, he's a great kid - unlike the forward who went to Syracuse.
Ugh, please don't put thoughts of a lineup with Scotty Reynolds at the 1, Vasquez at the 2, and Milbourne, Gist, and Osby inside this season.

Ugh, please don't put thoughts of a lineup with Scotty Reynolds at the 1, Vasquez at the 2, and Milbourne, Gist, and Osby inside this season.

Oh yeah, we'd still be playing. Scotty is tearing it up right now - doing his Juan Dixon imitation - except he's a better play-maker. Sigh. He's actually leading Nova in blocks. :eek: Nova's 2nd leading scorer gets all of 10.4 a game, and they have no rebounders. Right now, he's the NCAA Tournament MVP. We'd have dribble penetration and outside shooting out the yingyang. Sigh again.

Sorry. :D

Right now, he's the NCAA Tournament MVP.
Only part of this thread I disagree with, you gotta go with Stephen Curry. But the rest is dead on. Scotty's been terrific. It'd be really interesting if we could get even more in depth info on how recruiting goes. Were these guys ever even approached by MAryland folks, did we just not work as hard, did they all just want to leave the area? All interesting questions that are very tough to answer with any certainty.

Beaner,

That's a little distortion of history there-Lefty built the Md basketball program.

I believe he has a better win percentage overall and in ACC play against arguably more difficult competition. GW has done a great job over the years but MD would have a good (maybe great) program with or without him.

Beaner,

That's a little distortion of history there-Lefty built the Md basketball program.

I believe he has a better win percentage overall and in ACC play against arguably more difficult competition. GW has done a great job over the years but MD would have a good (maybe great) program with or without him.

Gary re built the program literally from nothing after the fiasco that was Bob Wade. The NCAA was thisclose to giving Maryland the death penalty in '91.

I'm not discrediting Lefty's legacy in any way, but Gary was basically starting from scratch when he got there, and deserves much if not all of the credit for Maryland's run of success from '94 to the present.

Archived