No-Hitter/Perfect Game Watch Thread

ArtVanDelay

He didn't make that much of an attempt to get out of the way but he did try and pull a way a little at the last second. In any case that rule is almost never called.

I disagree. Looked to me like he leaned in and dropped the elbow because he knew it was close. Pathetic.

He didn't make that much of an attempt to get out of the way but he did try and pull a way a little at the last second. In any case that rule is almost never called.

Oh, I wouldn't overrule it or expect them to, but it did look like he leaned into it on slow-mo.

One hit in his last 18 innings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Studly performance by Scherzer there. He's an alpha-dog, no doubt about it.

I was very surprised that they never went to the slider bending out of the strike zone once they got Tabata to two strikes. That pitch had been working for Scherzer all day. Sucks that he lost the perfect game, but that's the best back-to-back games I've ever witnessed.

I disagree. Looked to me like he leaned in and dropped the elbow because he knew it was close. Pathetic.

I don't understand what your disagreeing with. I said he didn't make much of an attempt to get out of the way (which is true). At the very end he did pull his elbow away a little. If you want to say he should have made more of an attempt to get out of the way and what he did given the situation is is pathetic your entitled to your opinion. I just wouldn't go that far. None of those players on the Pirates want to have a perfect game (or no hitter for that matter) thrown against them. Tabata was really completing fouling off some tough pitches and I'm sure he didn't want to have his team be on the wrong end of history. These guys are athletes and competitors and there is definitely a pride factor.

I don't understand what your disagreeing with. I said he didn't make much of an attempt to get out of the way (which is true). At the very end he did pull his elbow away a little. If you want to say he should have made more of an attempt to get out of the way and what he did given the situation is is pathetic your entitled to your opinion. I just wouldn't go that far. None of those players on the Pirates want to have a perfect game (or no hitter for that matter) thrown against them. Tabata was really completing fouling off some tough pitches and I'm sure he didn't want to have his team be on the wrong end of history. These guys are athletes and competitors and there is definitely a pride factor.

He made no attempt to get out of the way. Nothing, nada, none. You keep qualifying your statement with "at the end he did, a little....", and hence the disagreement.

And since he did lean into the pitch it was worse than a guy putting down a bunt in that situation. Of course they won't call it but how many times have you seen a guy raise his arms and take the pitch? Like I said, pathetic.

That's the second no-hitter for the Nats in 70 games, following Zimmerman's no-no at the end of last season.

The last Orioles no-hitter was July 13, 1991, but the last Oriole to single-handedly throw a no-hitter was Jim Palmer on Aug 13, 1969.. However you look at it, it's been almost 24 years or 36 years since the Orioles accomplished this. 118 pitchers have thrown a no-hitter since Palmer, and 62 have done it since the Orioles 1991 foursome. Twenty eight teams have had a no-hitter since Palmer (all except the Padres), and twenty-five of them have at least least one after our 1991 no-hitter.

Edited by TonySoprano

That's the second no-hitter for the Nats in 70 games, following Zimmerman's no-no at the end of last season.

The last Orioles no-hitter was July 13, 1991, but the last Oriole to single-handedly throw a no-hitter was Jim Palmer on Aug 13, 1969.. However you look at it, it's been almost 24 years or 36 years since the Orioles accomplished this. 118 pitchers have thrown a no-hitter since Palmer, and 62 have done it since the Orioles 1991 foursome.

Would love to see an Oriole no hitter real soon. The Giants also have two no hitters in the past calendar year and maybe a little change.

Would love to see an Oriole no hitter real soon. The Giants also have two no hitters in the past calendar year and maybe a little change.

Lincecum has no-hitters in 2013 & 2014 and Heston had one earlier this month. Since July 1991, the Orioles have been no-hit twice; the last being Clay Buchholz Sept 1. 2007 While not having a no-hitter, the Padres do have the distinction of leading the league in being no-hit (5) since August 1969. The Giants have been blanked 4 times, followed by the Rockies, Astros, and Rays with 3. Along with Lincecum, Homer Bailey, Justin Verlander, Kevin Millwood, Mark Buehrle, all have 2 no-hitters since 1991, and Roy Halladay has 3. It looks like Nolan Ryan's record will be around for quite a while. The Orioles own the rare distinction of being only one of two teams all-time that lost a no-hitter, April 30, 1967

Team no-hitters since Palmer

ARI	2ATL	3BAL	1BOS	4CHC	5CHW	6CIN	4CLE	3COL	1DET	3FLA	5HOU	6KCR	4LAA	9LAD	8MIL	1MIN	3NYM	1NYY	5OAK	5PHI	7PIT	4SFG	7SEA	4STL	5TBR	1TEX	5TOR	1WAS	5

Here are the 62 no-hitters by team since ours in 1991.

ARI	2ATL	2BOS	4CHC	1CHW	4CIN	2COL	1DET	2FLA	5HOU	2KCR	1LAA	2LAD	5MIN	3NYM	1NYY	4OAK	1PHI	4PIT	1SFG	5SEA	3STL	2TBR	1TEX	1WAS	3
Edited by TonySoprano

He made no attempt to get out of the way. Nothing, nada, none. You keep qualifying your statement with "at the end he did, a little....", and hence the disagreement.

And since he did lean into the pitch it was worse than a guy putting down a bunt in that situation. Of course they won't call it but how many times have you seen a guy raise his arms and take the pitch? Like I said, pathetic.

I don't know. I think the hitter should have a less than zero concern for anything the pitcher may want, and should actively try to do anything within the rules to foil him. Tabata does that in the 9th inning of a scoreless World Series game and it is a gutsy, scrappy play.

If Scherzer wanted a perfect game, he shouldn't have thrown it that close to Tabata.

I don't know. I think the hitter should have a less than zero concern for anything the pitcher may want, and should actively try to do anything within the rules to foil him. Tabata does that in the 9th inning of a scoreless World Series game and it is a gutsy, scrappy play.

If Scherzer wanted a perfect game, he shouldn't have thrown it that close to Tabata.

Per baseball official rule 6.08(b), a batter becomes a baserunner and is awarded first base when he or his equipment (except for his bat):

• is touched by a pitched ball outside of the strike zone,
  • and he attempts to avoid it (or had no opportunity to avoid it),

Yeah, problem is, it wasn't within the rules. The umpires don't enforce it, that doesn't make it ok.

Per baseball official rule 6.08(b), a batter becomes a baserunner and is awarded first base when he or his equipment (except for his bat):
  • is touched by a pitched ball outside of the strike zone,
  • and he attempts to avoid it (or had no opportunity to avoid it),

Yeah, problem is, it wasn't within the rules. The umpires don't enforce it, that doesn't make it ok.

But if they never enforce it, it isn't a rule. I think by law women can't wear pants in Arizona either. It is sufficiently ambiguous in my mind as to whether Tabata intentionally leaned in or he was befuddled by a ball that started in the middle of the plate and was suddenly boring in on him.