Jason Esposito Retires

Can_of_corn

This was one of Joe Jordan's worst draft picks - criticized within the industry almost as soon as it was made.

It has been a long, long time IMO since an early round Os draft pick bat flamed out in this fashion - maybe Brian Bass, Corey Schafer. Most of Joe Jordan's college picks at least moved through the system before flaming out short of the majors - like Angle and several others. Not Esposito.

Best of luck for your future, Jason.

This was one of Joe Jordan's worst draft picks - criticized within the industry almost as soon as it was made.

It has been a long, long time IMO since an early round Os draft pick bat flamed out in this fashion - maybe Brian Bass, Corey Schafer. Most of Joe Jordan's college picks at least moved through the system before flaming out short of the majors - like Angle and several others. Not Esposito.

Tony said that his bat speed was slider at best in college, let alone as a pro.

Billy Rowell was worse than Esposito because he was drafted in the first round with the ninth overall pick. I guess Rowell had success at very low levels (Appalachian League, NY Penn League) before flaming out, while Esposito never hit. Then again Esposito might have hit if he had started in the NY Penn League instead of Delmarva.

Has Nicky Delmonico also retired. Last time I heard, he had joined the White Sox organisation but hasnt played in their minor league system yet !

Stop Press - He started playing in the SAL League on Tuesday and is sporting a .467 average with 1 Homer and 6 RBI's

Has Nicky Delmonico also retired. Last time I heard, he had joined the White Sox organisation but hasnt played in their minor league system yet !

Stop Press - He started playing in the SAL League on Tuesday and is sporting a .467 average with 1 Homer and 6 RBI's

Yep. He had to finish up a suspension. Now in high A. As we know, same draft as Esposito, taken in round 6 with a $1.525 million signing bonus.

Who was the guy that we drafted right around that time out of HS who had an offer from North Carolina? He signed to play with us late and never produced at all and retired I think last year? He was not a college bat but an equally unproductive pick.

A "slider speed" bat is what the industry said pretty much as soon as the pick was made and Joe Jordan was defending the pick almost as soon as it was announced.

Esposito was considered a reach in the second round IIRC.

Separately, I do think this pick was worse than Rowell. Industry consensus was that Rowell was the top HS pick along with Travis Snider. Rowell was a first rounder bust, but a defensible pick IMO.

Some said that Esposito didn't have good bat speed but I don't remember anyone saying he wasn't worthy of a 2nd round pick at the time. He showed signs of life last year at Frederick, albeit with terrible plate discipline. Going up to the next level did him in.

He was defensively everything that Manny ended up turning into.

I think there were some concerns about his bat speed, but Tony was not that harsh on him when he was drafted, and no, he was not considered that much of a reach, if he was a reach at all. Take a look at the thread from the day he was drafted: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/111305-2nd-Round-Jason-Esposito-3B-Vanderbilt-University?highlight=Esposito Stotle had him on the list of possible Orioles 2nd round picks. Keith Law had him ranked as the #54 prospect in the draft. Tony ranked him as our no. 7 prospect at the end of the 2011 season (though Esposito didn't play in the 2011 season). http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/115889-Jason-Esposito-7-prospect?highlight=esposito

Archived