Relievers

MeSoHardy

Hmmm..

Matt Riley had a 5.99 ERA in 97.2 innings over parts of four seasons.

Adam Loewen had a 5.38 ERA in 164 innings over parts of three seasons.

Hayden Penn had a 9.51 ERA in 82.1 innings over parts of three seasons.

Just based off MLB performance, Penn definitely wins the Who Was Worst contest. 97 runs/87 earned runs over 82 innings! That is amazingly terrible!

Loewen and Riley both had bad starts to their careers but then were denied a chance at eventual improvement because of injuries. If they didn't both develop elbow problems, who knows maybe one of them might have Chris Tillman-ed.

Riley, Loewen and Penn all stunk and were busts.

doesn't really matter which one was worse than the other.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got rushed into the closer role, when BJ Ryan left.

How do you rush someone into the closer role? Aren't many of the best closers put in the role immediately, or very shortly after being promoted to the majors? If I were in need of a closer, or even just rebuilding a pen I think a reasonable strategy would be to draft several hard throwing college starters and have them in the majors about 15 minutes later.

How do you rush someone into the closer role? Aren't many of the best closers put in the role immediately, or very shortly after being promoted to the majors? If I were in need of a closer, or even just rebuilding a pen I think a reasonable strategy would be to draft several hard throwing college starters and have them in the majors about 15 minutes later.

yes you are correct.

But, if I remember right, the coaching staff didn't want to rush him and have him be a bust, like so many others in the timeframe.

Um... if you're a Major League pitcher, shouldn't you be punching people with your non-pitching hand if you needed to throw down? Just sayin', Kev.

Not if you were having Kevin Gregg's season that year. Throwing at Papi. Knocking Papi out. Breaking hand and being hurt the rest of the year. That would be right up there with Adam Mills.

Not if you were having Kevin Gregg's season that year. Throwing at Papi. Knocking Papi out. Breaking hand and being hurt the rest of the year. That would be right up there with Adam Mills.

Cal Ripken almost ending the streak before he did, because of a knee injury during a brawl that he went and joined in on.

Tis the season of trade rumors. Seeing as many people figure the only move the Orioles will make is adding a late-inning reliever, similar to last year. MY question is, if you could bring back ANY Orioles reliever of the last 10-12 years, who would it be?

I would say BJ Ryan

And for fun, who is your least favorite O's reliever in that time period.

Mine would be Baez

Bring back a healthy Andrew Miller (no brainer) and least favorite reliever would be a tie with Jorge Julio and Danny's Baez who pitched more like Joan Baez.

Roch says he hears Orioles are bringing up a left-handed pitcher and it's not TJ, so I wonder who it is.

Speculation seems that it will be Wesley Wright, since it sounds like we have to end his rehab assignment. The guy has struggled pretty badly at AAA, but maybe we bring him up and give him a shot. The interesting thing to me is who goes to make room for him? We've already sent Gausman out to go to four starters, and the only other starter we won't need this weekend is Jimenez (pitching today), who obviously doesn't have options. Is it possible Matusz is out?

Riley, Loewen and Penn all stunk and were busts.

doesn't really matter which one was worse than the other.

I will go to my grave believing that if Loewen's elbow hadn't betrayed him, he was on his way to being an above average major league starter. He came to spring training in 2007 loaded for bear (1.64 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 9.4 K/9 that spring), and posted a solid 3.56 ERA in his six regular season starts before his elbow gave out, despite having very serious control problems.

I will go to my grave believing that if Loewen's elbow hadn't betrayed him, he was on his way to being an above average major league starter. He came to spring training in 2007 loaded for bear (1.64 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 9.4 K/9 that spring), and posted a solid 3.56 ERA in his six regular season starts before his elbow gave out, despite having very serious control problems.

True, however short it was, it was better than the other two.

More sad to say, there will be more busts to add to that list of three.

Archived