Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

Frobby

Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Manny for 11/$231 mm?

• Yes, sign him up today!
    • I'd do it, but only if Manny stays healthy the rest of 2015
    • No, too rich/risky for my blood

This poll is closed to new votes

The Orioles need to sign Manny ASAP! :hearts:

The reason I say ASAP is because the contracts for the best players in MLB are going to get enormous (Trout, Harper, Manny, etc.)

I don't see us offering an 8-10+ year deal.... what they should be doing now is offering 6/$135-145MM and get it done.

However, he could be content with just going to the FA market in 3 years... no matter what he will cost the O's plenty in 2017/2018/

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the time we are looking at a team like that Machado will be gone, Jones will be gone, and Davis will be heading fast into his crap years (trust me, they're coming). I'll repeat...this is the window. Win now.

I just don't see the Orioles letting Machado getting to free agency.

Opt outs don't work for the O's. Good luck with that. Someone needs to tell Dan that the horse is already out of the barn. He gone!

While I can see why they don't want to hand out opt-outs like candy to anyone who asks, they'd be foolish to let that be an obstacle to extending Manny. I personally think they'll make an exception in his case. However, if Manny is hell-bent on getting the largest contract he possibly can, my guess is he won't be signing with us.

I've decided to enjoy the next three years and not ruin my enjoyment by worrying about whether Manny will be extended or not. We're extremely fortunate that he has turned out to be this good, and I plan to savor it.

You mean like how we wouldn't sign Cuban defectors on some kind of allegiance to Fidel Castro while the rest of baseball was doing so?

And when they finally started signing them it was lower end guys without much of a market that the Cuban National Team wouldn't miss.

The most likely scenario is that Manny is here for 2+ years and leaves via FA. Any contract would have to include an opt out and still set a precedent for highest contract or at least match the highest one.

You can look at it as 2+ years, but with 124 games and hopefully a postseason left to go in 2016, I'm counting this as a season I'm determined to enjoy. If Manny gets the biggest contract ever in three years, that will only be because he played well enough over that three year period to earn it. I'm going to enjoy watching him do that and hope he can carry the team into several postseason appearances in that time.

My answer would be "yes, extend him" no matter what the numbers/years are that you listed ...

It's a challenging topic in that he may eventually (when this foundation starts to depart) negatively impact the ability to acquire enough talent to win the WS later in his career with a steep contract, but I personally doubt it would actually play out that way ...

Even if it does, think about this ... is it so bad to not win it all as to sacrifice an all time great going on to be that for someone else?

What if Cal Ripken wanted the equivalent of that much money in his day? Would you trade what we had in Cal for a chance, not a guarantee at all, to build a team that just might if we are lucky have an outside shot at winning a WS once during the rest of his career? (i.e. A team that doesn't win a WS for the last 18 years or so of his career, but that has a hero of that caliber that will stick with you and be someone who you call your own, home grown hero that your kids will remember and tell their kids about?)

I will take a lifetime Oriole HOFer and all those years of memories over a non-guaranteed shot at a WS that we will have to somehow figure out how to win on a cheap budget. I'd argue that a star like Machado and the rest of the team being a bargain-filled Moneyball special would be just as likely to make a run as a team with no top/dominant players trying to fit and make the perfect recipe to win it all (a la the 2015 Royals) which happens VERY rarely ...

My answer would be "yes, extend him" no matter what the numbers/years are that you listed ...

It's a challenging topic in that he may eventually (when this foundation starts to depart) negatively impact the ability to acquire enough talent to win the WS later in his career with a steep contract, but I personally doubt it would actually play out that way ...

Even if it does, think about this ... is it so bad to not win it all as to sacrifice an all time great going on to be that for someone else?

What if Cal Ripken wanted the equivalent of that much money in his day? Would you trade what we had in Cal for a chance, not a guarantee at all, to build a team that just might if we are lucky have an outside shot at winning a WS once during the rest of his career? (i.e. A team that doesn't win a WS for the last 18 years or so of his career, but that has a hero of that caliber that will stick with you and be someone who you call your own, home grown hero that your kids will remember and tell their kids about?)

I will take a lifetime Oriole HOFer and all those years of memories over a non-guaranteed shot at a WS that we will have to somehow figure out how to win on a cheap budget. I'd argue that a star like Machado and the rest of the team being a bargain-filled Moneyball special would be just as likely to make a run as a team with no top/dominant players trying to fit and make the perfect recipe to win it all (a la the 2015 Royals) which happens VERY rarely ...

Which is why an opt out can work for both sides. Keep him as long as the club is a contender, then let him walk and take his big contract with him.

Archived