Eduardo and the Afternoon Game

weams

We gave up a mid range, AA pitcher that was struggling, but talented pitcher.

And it remains to be seen, if he will be around for 1000+ innings.

If he was still here, he would probably still be here in AA and several other arms in the food chain between him and here.

Sorry, but I would make that trade again, over and over.

And I am sure, you wouldn't.

We just have to agree to disagree.

But, Roch is right, and see his blog comments and twitter feeds makes OH seem tame, the way people are still debating this issue.

The debate is an easy one for a dissenter. The Orioles did not win the World Series. Ergo, Bad deal. The deal was predicated on taking a shot at that. And not about Eduardo finding four MPH. Amazing how they do that.

What you do is look for any deal that is made with a rental. Clamor for an extension. Make it seem like something that COULD happen. Wait for the failure in the postseason. Brag. And not Humbly. That is the recipe.

I am not saying those who wanted to retain Miller are this.

I am saying folks still smashing Duquette for the deal and saying they foresaw the dominance of both Miller and Rodriguez are. As well as those saying that they knew we would fall short of the WS.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He might still be in AA if the Orioles didn't make the changes that the Red Sox apparently did. I didn't have a big problem at the time of the trade. If I knew now what I knew then, I would have been. Hindsight, but Rodriguez became a different pitcher after the trade. Coincidence? I don't think so.

You have to give something to get something but there is always a limit to what's acceptable.

Sometimes the change of scenery is needed for whatever reason.

The debate is an easy one for a dissenter. The Orioles did not win the World Series. Ergo, Bad deal. The deal was predicated on taking a shot at that. And not about Eduardo finding four MPH. Amazing how they do that.

Like I said to Frobby, if you read the feedback on his blogs, you will find the people up in arms and still hotly debating this issue, and with the tweeter feeds, makes this place seem very tame. Which is probably, what brought out his comment about not getting the fray. :)

I also think he means..........he's tired of discussing it week after week for the past 3 months or more. At some point there's not much more to say.

I think that's the point Roch and others are making. I haven't seen anything new on the subject for quite a while. ERod's emergence, along with Nelson Cruz's lengthy slump, has been helpful in getting this board past the same kind of repetitive discussion about not trying harder to sign Cruz,

But when you give up 1000+ innings of a cost controlled good starting pitcher for 20 innings of a relief pitcher who will be gone when the season is over, that decision is highly questionable. "You have to give up something to get something" is far too simplistic an equation. We've beaten this to death in other threads, so I don't want to get back into a full blown debate about it here, but simplistic statements like the one Roch made in the OP and the one you quote from Buck are not very illuminating.

In a similar line of thought I think it is questionable to keep 3-4 players that will be FA at the end of the season if

a) you know you're not going to be able to resign them

b) you have the opportunity of moving them for an Erod for Miller type deal or better.

We made the playoffs last year without Wieters and a down season from Davis. Neither are having eye opening years thus far so perhaps they are worth more to us than anyone else.

Chen has been up and down this season and I believe is replaceable

He might still be in AA if the Orioles didn't make the changes that the Red Sox apparently did. I didn't have a big problem at the time of the trade. If I knew now what I knew then, I would have been. Hindsight, but Rodriguez became a different pitcher after the trade. Coincidence? I don't think so.

You have to give something to get something but there is always a limit to what's acceptable.

I remember somebody posted something that the Red Sox claim they didn't do anything.

Roch must not be familiar with the long-term memories of baseball fans, and O's fans in particular. Some of us are still griping about the Glenn Davis deal! Thankfully, no matter what EdRod does from now on, the A. Miller trade can never approach that one for Worst O's Deal Ever. At least we got a few productive and useful months out of Miller!

Would you have traded anything for Miller? Of course not. So the argument that we were going for the WS or whatever is valid up to a point. You can't rationalize any trade as a good or acceptable one just because we "were going for it".

I was all for the Miller trade. All for it. Still am. We beat the Tigers because of it.

Would you have traded anything for Miller? Of course not. So the argument that we were going for the WS or whatever is valid up to a point. You can't rationalize any trade as a good or acceptable one just because we "were going for it".

I never said it was good or bad. Eduardo was the prize chip we had in 2013 and the offseason to 2014. He flopped. in a Major Dude way. Bloom all off that Rose. Got a little dinged. Came back in AA and looked like Brian Matusz does now, not Brian Matusz when he was in AA. Dan tried to give up other arms to Boston for Miller. He was told Miller was going to Detroit if Eduardo was not sent with minutes to spare. He pulled the trigger.

In a similar line of thought I think it is questionable to keep 3-4 players that will be FA at the end of the season if

a) you know you're not going to be able to resign them

b) you have the opportunity of moving them for an Erod for Miller type deal or better.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

We are a contending team. Not the Phillies. We get a pick that is valuable for all of our QO FAs. That's what we get. And we try to win this year.

I do, wanted Miller, others were hot for Lester, but, I thought bullpen arm and away from the Tigers was the best move.

I would have taken Lester too. And he would have cost a lot and been strictly a rental as well. I heard we were very close to that.

Archived