Smoak 2-5 4th HR today

Crow and Matusz should both be good pro's, while Missouri prepster Tim Melville's season gets underway today. It'll be fun watching their development.

Alvarez, Smoak, Beckham and Hosmer are the hitters that I'd rank very closely, and would be delighted to add to our system.

This is the most excited I've ever been about the draft, and that includes the craziness and happiness getting Wieters in the fold last year. It should be great fun following these young men this year. :)

Yeah think Melville and Hosmer could very easily be added to the list. In no order

Alvarez

Smoak

Beckham

Matusz

Crow

Hosmer

Melville

I think these seven all have a legit shot of going top 3. I think Melville is the real wild card, with a good year i think he could be KC's pick at the top this year. No matter what we end up with a stud at 4 someone we will all be very excited to have. I love the draft so much. I wish there was more coverage on the net with mock drafts and scouting reports. Its crazy the amount of coverage the NFL draft gets. I think we have a real nice thing going here on the board and hopefully it will continue with the quality posts and reads from greg, battleship, stotle, weblink21 and all the others that have contributed. I get more and more excited by the day and the minor section of the board is the first place a come to now. Lets keep up the good work fellas.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really sure why you think it's problematic, Greg. Alvarez projects to 3b/1b/rf/lf. To say he is not known as a "strong" defender is really more a case of he is not a "plus" defender. There aren't any questions as to whether he can play 3b adequately (unless something has changed dramatically from his soph season) and he has the arm for RF. Projections placing him in TAM would have to be for RF with 3b/1b/lf currently occupied and Alvarez's arrival time set at 2010. Finally, he is still listed as one of three, maybe four, college players who could see time in the ML within a calendar year of signing (Matusz/Crow/Smoak) being the other three. If defense were that large a problem, he wouldn't have been listed by BA as a good bet for quickest to the majors in the draft class.

To summarize, Smoak is a strong defender at 1b with more power than Alvarez. Alvarez is an adequate defender with enough athleticism to play the OF corners as well as 3b/1b and is a better all-around hitter than anyone else at the college level. Alonso fits in between the two as a better all-around hitter than Smoak, but far worse defender than either Smoak or Alvarez.

Obviously, a lot of this is my opinion with scouting reports from established sites sprinkled in. If you have reading on Alvarez's defense being a question, I'd love to read it. I haven't come across anything like that in my own observations or readings.

As always, thanks for the fun convo.

Fun convo... the staple of the Amateur Forum. :D

I should have chosen a better word than problematic, but what I meant was this... it seemed you were implying that Alvarez' value was raised even further over Smoak, as Alvarez projects to play up to four ML positions. However, Smoak is so good defensively, that is not an issue, but he also has enough arm and athleticism to be able to handle a corner if needed (not a likely scenario, granted).

We are in agreement about your rankings/views as concerns Alvarez, Alonso and Smoak as well. Good analogy as always. :)

Fun convo... the staple of the Amateur Forum. :D

I should have chosen a better word than problematic, but what I meant was this... it seemed you were implying that Alvarez' value was raised even further over Smoak, as Alvarez projects to play up to four ML positions. However, Smoak is so good defensively, that is not an issue, but he also has enough arm and athleticism to be able to handle a corner if needed (not a likely scenario, granted).

We are in agreement about your rankings/views as concerns Alvarez, Alonso and Smoak as well. Good analogy as always. :)

Could be that Smoak could play corner OF -- I question his quickness, but to be honest I've never seem him anywhere outside of 1b. Alvarez's value would be raised in that he can play 3b, which Smoak cannot. When you're talking about the difference between the two, it isn't that great -- I don't disagree with you. Still, I feel like there is this thought out there that Smoak is closing the gap on Alvarez, and I just don't see it.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. I hope we get one of Alvarez/Beckham, because I really think those two could be special players. I'm happy, regardless, because Smoak/Matusz/Crow look like good bets to be very good MLers, as well.

Yeah think Melville and Hosmer could very easily be added to the list. In no order

Alvarez

Smoak

Beckham

Matusz

Crow

Hosmer

Melville

I think these seven all have a legit shot of going top 3. I think Melville is the real wild card, with a good year i think he could be KC's pick at the top this year. No matter what we end up with a stud at 4 someone we will all be very excited to have. I love the draft so much. I wish there was more coverage on the net with mock drafts and scouting reports. Its crazy the amount of coverage the NFL draft gets. I think we have a real nice thing going here on the board and hopefully it will continue with the quality posts and reads from greg, battleship, stotle, weblink21 and all the others that have contributed. I get more and more excited by the day and the minor section of the board is the first place a come to now. Lets keep up the good work fellas.

We are the same, you and I... :D

I love it as well, and started a draft site that I hope will eventually be a part of the new national attention and excitement involving the MLB Draft. With help from a few draftniks like myself, it may get there. :)

BTW, thanks for the kind words.

Could be that Smoak could play corner OF -- I question his quickness, but to be honest I've never seem him anywhere outside of 1b. Alvarez's value would be raised in that he can play 3b, which Smoak cannot. When you're talking about the difference between the two, it isn't that great -- I don't disagree with you. Still, I feel like there is this thought out there that Smoak is closing the gap on Alvarez, and I just don't see it.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. I hope we get one of Alvarez/Beckham, because I really think those two could be special players. I'm happy, regardless, because Smoak/Matusz/Crow look like good bets to be very good MLers, as well.

Yeah, with Smoak starting like gang-busters, it put that thought into my mind, among others, yet I never wavered on Pedro at #1. Alvarez is the better prospect, and his missing time with an injury shouldn't disuade anyone from recognizing his skills, evident in the various scouting reports on him. He's very, very good. We'd have to be elated were we fortunate enough to grab him at #4 (not happening).

Greg i know they are different positions but how does Alvarez compare to Weiters?

If Alvarez was in last years draft who do you think they would draft if both were available at #4?

IMHO...

-Alvarez is the better hitter, and adequate defensively, whereas Wieters is very solid defensively. Wieters is a switch-hitting catcher, and a very good one at that, so therefor a more valuable commodity.

-Wieters.

IMHO...

-Alvarez is the better hitter, and adequate defensively, whereas Wieters is very solid defensively. Wieters is a switch-hitting catcher, and a very good one at that, so therefor a more valuable commodity.

-Wieters.

Catching is a premium position like SS, while Alvarez is a significant talent he projects as a corner outfielder or a corner infielder. He also projects as more of a higher average guy then a power guy. I'm guessing thats part of the reason we're more enamoured with Smoak.

When does Macphail's preference for pitching make all this talk a moot point?

Who are the top 2 pitchers in this years draft?

Would the O's really give up a chance on a premium hitter for more pitching? Is MacPhail stockpiling pitching in the trades to open the door for drafting position players that can hit???

When does Macphail's preference for pitching make all this talk a moot point?

Who are the top 2 pitchers in this years draft?

Would the O's really give up a chance on a premium hitter for more pitching? Is MacPhail stockpiling pitching in the trades to open the door for drafting position players that can hit???

The top two pitchers are Brian Matusz and Aaron Crow. Both are studs and most have Matusz (tall and lanky lefty with solid 3-pitchs) ranked higher although Crow (impressive command,progressing off speed stuff) has been absolutely lights out so far this year. If he keeps it up there is no way he gets by KC. The other name to look out for is Tim Melville 6'5" high school pitcher out of MO he has lights out stuff. 90-96 on the fast ball and a mean curve ball. He also has a solid changup. He is the real wild card. One more high schooler to look out for is Gerrit Cole out of CA (nasty fastball with lots of movement and a slider that is top notch when he's got it working) Im really hoping for a bat (Alvarez, Smoak) or a Barry Larkin clone like Tim Beckham, but i would have no problem with Matusz or Crow. I think the O's need to go with who ever they feel is the BPA no matter if its a pitcher or a bat. I have faith Jordan and MacPhail will make the right decision.

The top two pitchers are Brian Matusz and Aaron Crow. Both are studs and most have Matusz (tall and lanky lefty with solid 3-pitchs) ranked higher although Crow (impressive command,progressing off speed stuff) has been absolutely lights out so far this year. If he keeps it up there is no way he gets by KC. The other name to look out for is Tim Melville 6'5" high school pitcher out of MO he has lights out stuff. 90-96 on the fast ball and a mean curve ball. He also has a solid changup. He is the real wild card. One more high schooler to look out for is Gerrit Cole out of CA (nasty fastball with lots of movement and a slider that is top notch when he's got it working) Im really hoping for a bat (Alvarez, Smoak) or a Barry Larkin clone like Tim Beckham, but i would have no problem with Matusz or Crow. I think the O's need to go with who ever they feel is the BPA no matter if its a pitcher or a bat. I have faith Jordan and MacPhail will make the right decision.

Add Jacobson (SP, UVA) to that list, as well.

Archived