Os - D.J. Stewart Close to Deal

weams

Dan Duquette wants him playing next week.

"DJ Stewart I expect to sign, and I don't know the exact timetable. If we can progress in our discussions, and get out him out playing for next week, that's what we're shooting for. We'd like to see him out playing ball. I think he wants to go out and play ball, too."

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know Weams. DD said they'd like to have him playing next week. He also said their is no exact timetable and "If we can progress in our discussions"

I fully expect him to sign but I could see this going close to the deadline as well just because it's Boras. Looks to me like the Orioles are waiting for Stewart to sign to announce the bonus for Hughes. Seems like Boras doesn't want to play that game, not that I think the Hughes bonus should have anything to do with what Stewart gets.

I think we will give him a little and introduce him during the homestand. Just because he's a Junior with no real options. He already said goodbye on the field.

Just a matter of Boras/Stewart deciding how much development time they're willing to lose and how much they want to try to squeeze the O's for. Always a balancing act. Selfishly I hope it gets done soon, this is valuable time that he needs to be on a field.

I do hope this doesn't drag on long. It would be great to let Stewart get his feet wet at Aberdeen, then move him to Delmarva or Frederick and have him come in to 2016 ready to move up quickly.

You would think it would be in Stewart's best interest to get it done quickly, so that he can get started right away.

Just a matter of Boras/Stewart deciding how much development time they're willing to lose and how much they want to try to squeeze the O's for. Always a balancing act. Selfishly I hope it gets done soon, this is valuable time that he needs to be on a field.

Squeeze all you want, but with the slot money, I don't see the Orioles going over that magic 105% mark.

Squeeze all you want, but with the slot money, I don't see the Orioles going over that magic 105% mark.

They definitely won't do that. But, an extra 10 or 20 or 50k or whatever is a big deal for these guys. If they don't make it, this is their one big chance to make money from baseball. I don't blame them for trying to get all they can out of it. But this time is valuable as well.

They definitely won't do that. But, an extra 10 or 20 or 50k or whatever is a big deal for these guys. If they don't make it, this is their one big chance to make money from baseball. I don't blame them for trying to get all they can out of it. But this time is valuable as well.

He is still a junior? isn't he?

Can he say to heck with it, I am going to stick around for my senior year and then reenter the draft next season?

Wouldn't be the first baseball player to do such.

He is still a junior? isn't he?

Can he say to heck with it, I am going to stick around for my senior year and then reenter the draft next season?

Wouldn't be the first baseball player to do such.

He loses all leverage if he does that though. It's been done before but very rarely, and it seems like only in high-profile cases. I have no doubt he'll sign, just a matter of how long he's willing to wait. I'm sure he's anxious to play as well.

Assuming he gets signed, whats the ETA to the big leagues on a guy like Stewart?

Sept. 2016 / ST 2017?

Obviously it depends on how he does. Ideally he gets some time in Aberdeen this year and maybe gets a quick look at Frederick. Next year spends time at Frederick/Bowie and maybe a Sept. call-up, then competes for a spot in ST 2017.

Or, maybe he's a total bust who never gets out of Bowie. :)

He loses all leverage if he does that though. It's been done before but very rarely, and it seems like only in high-profile cases. I have no doubt he'll sign, just a matter of how long he's willing to wait. I'm sure he's anxious to play as well.

I guess, it's usually high school kids that decide to not sign with the team and spend time in college before re-entering the draft.

Assuming he gets signed, whats the ETA to the big leagues on a guy like Stewart?

Sept. 2016 / ST 2017?

Mid-2017 if we are lucky. Kolten Wong, no. 22 pick in 2011, was called up in mid-August 2013. He was a top-100 prospect the entire time he was in the minors,and had an advanced glove that allowed him to provide some value in 2013 even though his bat wasn't fully developed. That's about as quick as it gets for a college position player drafted in the bottom half of the first round.

Archived