The Deadline: Do We Need a Corner OF bat or a Starter?

Rene88

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the LDS, Britton/O'Day/Miller/RP Gausman threw 10.1 out of 27 IP.

In the LCS, they threw 12.1 out of 35.

With October's off days, you can manage to deploy your ace relievers for ~35% of your team's IP. The next four weeks I imagine we'll be reviewing just how good this Chaz Roe thing can get, and whether Givens's breakout is enough for him to be a contributor to the late season pen. I'd guess we'll target this year's version of Miller before a SP or OF.

I'd let things play out through the all star break and see if Tillman and Norris can get their acts together. If not, yes I think we need to go after an above average starter, assuming we are in a good position in the race.

I don't think we have the depth in the minor league system to obtain a premium or even above average starter and making a trade for a Norris/Feldman type of SP that we did in 2013 isn't going to be enough of an upgrade over what we have. We just have to keep going with Tillman and Norris. Gausman is on deck if they don't shape up soon.

Our OF/DH/1B situation is so crowded with guys producing right now I think it may be more likely we move one of those guys for a prospect or reliever than adding another player. Of course, things could change in a month. I'm sure Reimold and Parmalee come back down to earth some, but I think Pearce is a strong candidate to have a big second half and has been hitting a lot better lately. There is also Snider.

A shutdown lefty for the bullpen (like the Miller trade last season) that won't cost us a top five prospect is the most likely move I see us making. Maybe we can include one of our corner OFers in a package. I would move Snider or Young personally.

I'd let things play out through the all star break and see if Tillman and Norris can get their acts together. If not, yes I think we need to go after an above average starter, assuming we are in a good position in the race.

I don't think we can afford sending them out there. They've both been atrocious. Aside from *1* Bud Norris start is there anything between the two of them to be excited about?

I would rather give Gausman and Tyler Wilson a shot in the rotation rather than trade them and more for Cole Hamels or Johnny Cueto.

Hamels is making so much money over the next four years I see it being more of a salary dump with whoever gets him and the Phillies will still be paying plenty of that contract. They will have to pay close to half of it if they want anything of value back.

Cueto and Hamels are aces.
Hamels got hammered during his last start against the Yankees.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/24/audition-failed-cole-hamels-gives-up-five-runs-in-a-loss-to-the-yankees/

Yeah, the headline is sort of trolly, I realize that. But the fact is that Cole Hamels is the most eligible pitcher available at the trade deadline and the Yankees are in pretty desperate need for a starter. It doesn?t seem like those two teams match up wonderfully as far as a trade goes, but you know there are no small number of Yankees fans who covet Hamels and would love to see him pitch in the Bronx.

Well, they saw him pitch in the Bronx today and it didn?t go too well: Hamels gave up five runs on eight hits in five innings and the Yankees went on to win in a laugher, 10-2.

If the Orioles need a starter they should use Gausman.

In fact they need to start that experiment right away since if he's not viable they may still have time to get a starter on the market.

I agree. They need to put Gausman in the rotation right away. Some people have seen this before from me, but I think that Tillman should get the "Ubaldo Treatment" i.e. put him in the pen and give him extra coaching to help him with his mechanics. Norris is a pending FA, so he needs to be traded for a bag of balls. The rotation would consist of (not necessarily in this order) Chen, Ubaldo, Gonzo, Gausman, Tyler Wilson/or some other minor leaguer.

Archived