The Deadline: Do We Need a Corner OF bat or a Starter?

Rene88

I think as long as Norris can be the 5 Innings SP that he's always been, they can get something, nothing exciting, for him at the TD and if need be move Tillman to the pen. What SP out there is better than Gausman that won't cost more than Gausman?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As things shake out it's becoming more clear to me that the Orioles need a starting pitcher more than a bat. There is a ton of competition to remain in the lineup and certain guys are stepping up. Getting a late-season ringer like Johnny Cueto makes the Orioles a dangerous opponent.

As things shake out it's becoming more clear to me that the Orioles need a starting pitcher more than a bat. There is a ton of competition to remain in the lineup and certain guys are stepping up. Getting a late-season ringer like Johnny Cueto makes the Orioles a dangerous opponent.

...... Gausman.

...... Gausman.

Not really buying Gausman until he shows he's gotten his stuff together. Besides, adding an improved Gausman and a stud rental would be even better! Of course it all depends on what the Orioles would have to give up. I'm not really expecting a major move.

Right now the potential playoff rotation would be: (1) Jimenez, (2) Chen, (3) Gonzalez and a bunch of junk.

It's not just one bad start. He is barely above average for the year.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

He's on pace for his sixth straight 200 IP season and will be worth around 5 wins if he maintains this production through his remaining 16-19 starts.

I didn't see this post when it was first started a couple days ago... but how could anyone argue we need a corner OF.

We have 8 OF's on the active 25 man roster... 9 if you count Davis. We have ZERO need for a corner outfielder right now. Why not ask for a starting Catcher or a 3B while we're at it.

He's on pace for his sixth straight 200 IP season and will be worth around 5 wins if he maintains this production through his remaining 16-19 starts.

Color me unimpressed. Peripherals are slipping this year. Walk rate about 3. WHIP is about the same but a lower normal babip. I know it's kind of old school but at almost 850k per start an ace shouldn't have an ERA in the mid 3s.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

So he's not an ace because he had one start?

Compared to what starters of his caliber are getting, Hamels contract isn't terrible.

I didn't say that Hamels wasn't an ace because he got hammered in one start? Or even 2 or 3. But we have to look at the stats, and not just on labels such as "ace"

Cole Hamels ERA: 3.26, WHIP: 1.168

Wei-Yin Chen ERA: 2.89, WHIP: 1.123

I think that we'd be better to try and resign Wei-Yin Chen rather than get Cole Hamels and his contract. If Hamels is an ace, then so is Wei-Yin Chen.

We don't need no stinkin' ace. We need 2 league average pitchers to replace Tillman and Norris. We have them too. We just can't use them because of $$$

We don't need an ace to win the division. We can do that with the roster we have now. To advance in the playoffs and win a World Series, however, we need an ace.

We don't need an ace to win the division. We can do that with the roster we have now. To advance in the playoffs and win a World Series, however, we need an ace.
I disagree. If we can get a QS from our SP we have a good shot to get a win.

I disagree. If we can get a QS from our SP we have a good shot to get a win.

I just don't trust Ubaldo to be a guy we can throw out there 2 or 3 times in a 7-game series and deliver each time, since his control can leave him at any moment. He's just too streaky with his mechanics. He has shown he can be awesome for an entire half of a season, but he can be very mediocre for long stretches even in seasons where he pitches well.

I like Gonzo as someone who will be a reliable starter. Chen should be solid. Hopefully Tillman turns it around.

I just think a true dominant ace would make us a tough team to beat. Having a lot of #2 and #3 types like we do is great for depth, but adding Sale or Cueto gives us the ability to ride one player to a championship like the Giants did last year. And in the event our dominant ace is merely good in any given series, the rest of the depth on our team both pitching-wise and hitting-wise will also give us a great shot. But as currently constructed, we are too susceptible to losing to a lucky/hot/good team in the payoffs like the Royals last season.

Archived