The Deadline: Do We Need a Corner OF bat or a Starter?

Rene88

I just don't trust Ubaldo to be a guy we can throw out there 2 or 3 times in a 7-game series and deliver each time, since his control can leave him at any moment. He's just too streaky with his mechanics. He has shown he can be awesome for an entire half of a season, but he can be very mediocre for long stretches even in seasons where he pitches well.

I like Gonzo as someone who will be a reliable starter. Chen should be solid. Hopefully Tillman turns it around.

I just think a true dominant ace would make us a tough team to beat. Having a lot of #2 and #3 types like we do is great for depth, but adding Sale or Cueto gives us the ability to ride one player to a championship like the Giants did last year. And in the event our dominant ace is merely good in any given series, the rest of the depth on our team both pitching-wise and hitting-wise will also give us a great shot. But as currently constructed, we are too susceptible to losing to a lucky/hot/good team in the payoffs like the Royals last season.

Problem is Ulbaldo is probably tough to deal. You might have to eat a portion of the remains contract. So what do you do with him if he can't be dealt? The same can be said this year for Norris as basically you'd have to cut him to get rid of him and eat half of his contract.

Also I notice that you mentioned Cueto who looks like he's injured and I would touch with a 10 foot pole. If the Os can't get a guy with a few years control or one they can immediately extend gutting the farm to get a #1 would be a mistake.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Color me unimpressed. Peripherals are slipping this year. Walk rate about 3. WHIP is about the same but a lower normal babip. I know it's kind of old school but at almost 850k per start an ace shouldn't have an ERA in the mid 3s.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

His walk rate is up .5 batters per nine. His strikeout rate is up .9 batters per nine. His hits per nine are down.

ERA is 3.26.

Matt Harvey, 3.18.

Felix Hernandez, 3.24.

Clayton Kershaw, 3.33.

Wouldn't take any of those guys either?

I didn't say that Hamels wasn't an ace because he got hammered in one start? Or even 2 or 3. But we have to look at the stats, and not just on labels such as "ace"

Cole Hamels ERA: 3.26, WHIP: 1.168

Wei-Yin Chen ERA: 2.89, WHIP: 1.123

I think that we'd be better to try and resign Wei-Yin Chen rather than get Cole Hamels and his contract. If Hamels is an ace, then so is Wei-Yin Chen.

Hamels has thrown over 200 IP in six of the last seven years (five straight) and is on pace to make it six straight, and seven of the past eight years.

As has been debated around these parts before, the term "ace" is meaningless in these discussions because people have their own definitions as to what constitutes an ace (and when you get down to it most don't have a definition that really makes much sense).

His walk rate is up .5 batters per nine. His strikeout rate is up .9 batters per nine. His hits per nine are down.

ERA is 3.26.

Matt Harvey, 3.18.

Felix Hernandez, 3.24.

Clayton Kershaw, 3.33.

I'd take any of them. To be Bedard, of course, requires that you have years of team control and are owed no money.

Bud Norris and Ubaldo in your rotation for $21 MM or Hamels and Gausman for $24 MM?

I'd do the latter. We never had the chance to do Hamels without Ubaldo. And Gausman would be part of any deal Philly would accept.

ERA is 3.26.

Matt Harvey, 3.18.

Felix Hernandez, 3.24.

Clayton Kershaw, 3.33.

Sure I would take them. But they aren't as good as they should be. Especially for what they are getting paid.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Problem is Ulbaldo is probably tough to deal. You might have to eat a portion of the remains contract. So what do you do with him if he can't be dealt? The same can be said this year for Norris as basically you'd have to cut him to get rid of him and eat half of his contract.

Also I notice that you mentioned Cueto who looks like he's injured and I would touch with a 10 foot pole. If the Os can't get a guy with a few years control or one they can immediately extend gutting the farm to get a #1 would be a mistake.

Ubaldo is one of our more consistent starters right now. Maybe not last year or 3 years ago, but we're talking about now. If he were to get traded, we would need 3 pitchers, not two. Not a good idea.

Well, it looks like we're about to "acquire" an even more valuable bat: a middle infield bat. A Nelson Cruz threat would be awesome, but we are scoring at a great clip right now, and Schoop should help even more. I'd prefer great OF defense and better starting pitching.

Archived