Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hendry said today in the Sun Times that the Cubs will definitely acquire a righthanded hitting OF to backup Pie before Opening Day.

Payton was not mentioned but you have to think he is one of the candidates for the position.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/845965,CST-SPT-cub17.article

I agree that Payton will be in the deal. Gallagher, Ceda, Veal, Cedeno and Marquis for Roberts and Payton.

Actually, from everything ive read, i dont think Payton will be in this deal unless it becomes a 5 for 2 with the 5th player not being Marquis. I dont really see Marquis as a fit here in Balt. Im still expecting a 4 for 1 for BRob and the Cubs picking up their OF bat somewhere else.

Actually, from everything ive read, i dont think Payton will be in this deal unless it becomes a 5 for 2 with the 5th player not being Marquis. I dont really see Marquis as a fit here in Balt. Im still expecting a 4 for 1 for BRob and the Cubs picking up their OF bat somewhere else.

Well this morning Roch said expect Roberts to be traded to the Cubs, along with Payton.

I agree that Payton will be in the deal. Gallagher, Ceda, Veal, Cedeno and Marquis for Roberts and Payton.

The more these supposed deals for Roberts float around, the less I like any of them. IMO if MacPhail waits it out, we will get a better return from someone, hopefully including a viable SS and 2B (Patterson?), in addition to some pitching.

As for this Cubs deal.....if we are going to take on Marquis, we should demand the Cubs take back Payton and Gibbons, and throw them a few million $$$ as a bonus.

Ken Wyman today on espn 1300 said he was hearing that the deal would include Marquis with Cubs getting back Payton.

It really makes sense when you think about it. The O's want another vet in there just in case Trax implodes. They couldn't get Lohse and Marquis has a similar skillset. If Marquis pitches decent, he could fetch something at the deadline, and he'd definitely pass through waivers with his contract so he could be traded in August as well. I'm sure the Cubs will be eating some contract, because Payton's 5 for Marquis' 16 doesn't equal out, even with Ceda in the deal.

Archived