Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it's the 5 for 2 deal that's spoken of here... what would the 25 man roster look like?

Gone from the 25 man roster:

Roberts, Payton, LH and (loser of Aquino, Bierd, Sarfate, or # 5 young starter)

Added to the 25 man roster:

Cedeno, Redman, Loretta and (Marquis or Dempster)

Fahey stays

That's pretty said, isn't it? Roberts gone and piece parts on the 25 man roster to replace him.

Roberts, Payton and LH

Cedeno, Redman and Loretta

Fahey stays

That's pretty said, isn't it? Roberts gone and piece parts on the 25 man roster to replace him.

If Traschel stays than you may very well need to add him, Gallagher and Marquis.

Ray and Baez to the 60 day DL only frees up two spots.

Roberts, Payton, LH and (loser of Aquino, Bierd, Sarfate, or # 5 young starter)

Cedeno, Redman, Loretta and (Marquis or Dempster)

Fahey stays

Yeah... I was hoping to see a perminant spot for Moore.... this didn't help....how do you forsee the year playing out if we have no pitching injuries and Trachsel / Marquis-Dempster pitch bad enough to have little value, but not good enough to provide much help for us... AND... we have 2-3 guys at Norfolk eating things up?

If Traschel stays than you may very well need to add him, Gallagher and Marquis.

Ray and Baez to the 60 day DL only frees up two spots.

What about Patton to the 60 day DL? Is there anything (a rule or something :( ) that would keep us from doing that at the same time we put Ray and Baez on the 60 day?

I'm pretty sure that Schilling was already placed on the 60 day by Boston last week.

It really makes sense when you think about it. The O's want another vet in there just in case Trax implodes. They couldn't get Lohse and Marquis has a similar skillset. If Marquis pitches decent, he could fetch something at the deadline, and he'd definitely pass through waivers with his contract so he could be traded in August as well. I'm sure the Cubs will be eating some contract, because Payton's 5 for Marquis' 16 doesn't equal out, even with Ceda in the deal.
I think the Cubs would give the Orioles some cash for Marquis 8.5 million next year. On another thought maybe AM says we will eat the contract so the Cubs could throw in another suspect.

What about Patton to the 60 day DL? Is there anything (a rule or something :( ) that would keep us from doing that at the same time we put Ray and Baez on the 60 day?

I'm pretty sure that Schilling was already placed on the 60 day by Boston last week.

We can put all 3 of them on the 60 Day whenever we need to.

Just to be clear. I know you know this.

Those are moves to the 40 man roster. They were not going to make the 25 man roster.

Heh, sorry, I didnt read Fan4Life's question, I just saw that part and decided to chime in.

15 Day DL stints take players off the 25 man roster; 60 Day DL stints take players off the 40 man roster.

If it's the 5 for 2 deal that's spoken of here... what would the 25 man roster look like?

Roberts will be gone. (24)

Cedeno will be added (25)

Payton will be gone. (24)

Marquis will be added (25)

Once Bynum is healthy, they would probably DFA Hernandez to send him to the minors.

Redman would take over for Payton.

Gallagher and EPat have options. There will be time to fuddle around with things.

Roberts will be gone. (24)

Cedeno will be added (25)

Payton will be gone. (24)

Marquis will be added (25)

Once Bynum is healthy, they would probably DFA Hernandez to send him to the minors.

Redman would take over for Payton.

Gallagher and EPat have options. There will be time to fuddle around with things.

Care to chime in on my follow up question above?

Actually, from everything ive read, i dont think Payton will be in this deal unless it becomes a 5 for 2 with the 5th player not being Marquis. I dont really see Marquis as a fit here in Balt. Im still expecting a 4 for 1 for BRob and the Cubs picking up their OF bat somewhere else.

The only way the O's can get Ceda, Veal, Gallagher and Cedeno for Roberts is if Payton and Marquis were added. IMO I do not see hendry giving all those guys up and not getting back a right handed hitting outfielder as well as being able to give away marquis and his salary. If the O's want money in the deal then Ceda shouldn't be included. 3 of the Cubs top 10 pitching prospects is an awful lot to give up for Roberts. Plus the O's get Cedeno. The Cubs side has to be sweetened somewhat. That is where Marquis and Payton come in.

Archived