Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way the O's can get Ceda, Veal, Gallagher and Cedeno for Roberts is if Payton and Marquis were added. IMO I do not see hendry giving all those guys up and not getting back a right handed hitting outfielder as well as being able to give away marquis and his salary. If the O's want money in the deal then Ceda shouldn't be included. 3 of the Cubs top 10 pitching prospects is an awful lot to give up for Roberts. Plus the O's get Cedeno. The Cubs side has to be sweetened somewhat. That is where Marquis and Payton come in.

I would have to agree. I have a funny feeling the deal will end up being Marquis, Cedeno, Veal, Ceda and Gallagher for BRob and Payton.

I'd say that's a "fair" deal for both sides.

My question is:

How much worse off is this team in 2008 w/o Brian Roberts ? Forget 09',10'.. For someone who is going to be glued to the screen for this team THIS year, how bad are we talking guys? Will any of these guys make an impact THIS season? Or are we talking about a team that is bad, going to historically bad?

My question is:

How much worse off is this team in 2008 w/o Brian Roberts ? Forget 09',10'.. For someone who is going to be glued to the screen for this team THIS year, how bad are we talking guys? Will any of these guys make an impact THIS season? Or are we talking about a team that is bad, going to historically bad?

Tough to forget '09, '10, + when you're rebuilding.

I think you have to be realistic about this season - we stand an excellent chance of finishing among the three worst in the AL (perhaps the majors) and the best you can hope for is a group of younger talent developing, playing together, playing the game the right way.

My question is:

the O's are in a rebuilding state. Your guys seem to have lots of future talent: especially if you get veal, ceda, gallagher, and cedeno. :)

That article seemed to be more about Sam Fuld the Pie's um problem.

Just a thought, do you think we are looking to take Fuld as well?

What may affect that component of the deal even more is what the Sox are asking for Crisp.

If adding a prospect and a high $ veteran to the Roberts deal to get Payton is more palatable than what the Sox are asking for Crisp straight up, then sweetening the prospect side (and adding Marquis) makes a lot of sense for Chicago.

simplified our life or complicated it more? We'll have 2 aging veterans starting for us which will push another youngster down... lets presume the aging Vets pitch badly, have little value at the deadline and can't be moved... AND we have 2-3 starters at Norfolk tearing it up... what'll we do? And that's not to mention we still will not have cleared a roster spot for Moore... is he going to have to go down and wait until we're able to move Gibbons, Huff or Millar?

The only way the O's can get Ceda, Veal, Gallagher and Cedeno for Roberts is if Payton and Marquis were added. IMO I do not see hendry giving all those guys up and not getting back a right handed hitting outfielder as well as being able to give away marquis and his salary. If the O's want money in the deal then Ceda shouldn't be included. 3 of the Cubs top 10 pitching prospects is an awful lot to give up for Roberts. Plus the O's get Cedeno. The Cubs side has to be sweetened somewhat. That is where Marquis and Payton come in.

You probably just pointed out the discussion that has been going on between the two teams.

Marquis or Dempster?

If Marquis how much cash?

How many prospects and who?

The GMs probably have not agreed yet, so I doubt we will either.

You probably just pointed out the discussion that has been going on between the two teams.

Marquis or Dempster?

If Marquis how much cash?

How many prospects and who?

The GMs probably have not agreed yet, so I doubt we will either.

you can have dempster..hes been HORRIBLE this spring..i really hope hes not starting for us.. but i think you have a better chance of getting marquis, especially after he publicly said that if he doesnt start , he wants out. :002_scool:

simplified our life or complicated it more? We'll have 2 aging veterans starting for us which will push another youngster down... lets presume the aging Vets pitch badly, have little value at the deadline and can't be moved... AND we have 2-3 starters at Norfolk tearing it up... what'll we do? And that's not to mention we still will not have cleared a roster spot for Moore... is he going to have to go down and wait until we're able to move Gibbons, Huff or Millar?

I hope we can all agree that whether it be Ponson, DCAB, or any other good young arm that the O's have "developed" over the years - they all have been rushed to the MLB team. And in the end each never really fully developed into the talent that they had.

I'm excited that Norfolk will have a dynamic rotation and if it means that we have to suffer for a year with Trax and Marquis, than so be it. Can you imagine the competition for the 5 spots in our rotation next year?

As for Moore - I think they will find a way to keep him by sticking Patton on the 60 day DL.

Archived