Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

I won't defend Harry but...aw what the heck... his opinions have been mainly reasonable...although they may be wrong:D:D kidding:D
I try to be fair. I would like to get Roberts believe me. My opinions are not made to make people mad I just try to look at both sides.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, of course you say that. You're a Cubs fan.

I think Melvin Mora straight-up for Aramis Ramirez would be plenty fair, too.

:rolleyes: The difference between the two arguments is that the Cubs offer is a reasonable offer and the other is a deal that no person in the world will make.

I think the Orioles have seriously overvalued Roberts in this situation. In my opinion there are only 7 outcomes that can come of this decision.

1. A contending team has an injury at 2B and trades for Roberts

2. Somehow convince Roberts that the Orioles will be competitive in his lifetime and resign him

3. Let him walk as a free agent and maybe get 2 picks for him.

4. Roberts gets injured and his stock plummets.

5. Roberts declines and his stock plummets.

6. Roberts is filthy and his FA asking price skyrockets to somewhere around 5 years at 12 million a pop.

7. Roberts stays the same and one of Sean Gallagher, Donnie Veal, or Ronny Cedeno turns into a serious impact player.

You could insert the point about the Cubs players in any point. I for one am not salty about not getting him. We have bigger needs and to all the people who are saying he fits the need of what we missed in the playoffs last year you must not have been watching because Ted Lilly and Rich Hill sure didnt keep us in games. Last time I checked Brian Roberts wasnt a top notch starter.

I hope he has a good year for yall! I will be watching closely becuase I have him on a lot of my fantasy teams!! :)

Do you think Roberts would except a deal. I think if he is not traded he will be dissapointed he is only human.

Honestly, I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Roberts likes it here and would be willing to extend. Especially if we show him that we're moving in the right direction, and I do believe we are.

Harry - You may be exactly right...and I will not jump on your opinion because, from what I have read, they are well thought out and from one who remains as unbiased than most...

However, and I do not want you to think this is a gotcha, if anyone had said that Trachsel would bring back what he did last year we all would have laughed...so we never know what some desperate GM may do.

I really dont think Trachsel brought back anything too special. Rocky Cherry is pretty bad. Doesnt throw 90 consistently and had a bit of a wild side. And quite frankly Scott Moore doesnt really have a position and his bat is questionable. I mean he will never hit for average and might hit 15 homeruns. He had no place on our team. Also Trachsel won a few games down the stretch to help us make the playoffs. (I dont really know anything about Renshaw)

I really dont think Trachsel brought back anything too special. Rocky Cherry is pretty bad. Doesnt throw 90 consistently and had a bit of a wild side. And quite frankly Scott Moore doesnt really have a position and his bat is questionable. I mean he will never hit for average and might hit 15 homeruns. He had no place on our team. Also Trachsel won a few games down the stretch to help us make the playoffs. (I dont really know anything about Renshaw)

Thats not fair, trading Trachsel isnt as easy as trading Roberts, two different scenarios and situations.

Thats not fair, trading Trachsel isnt as easy as trading Roberts, two different scenarios and situations.

I agree with you 100% but I was just reacting to the other poster who feels like McPhail fleeced the Cubs for Trachsel that is definitely not true either.

I agree with you 100% but I was just reacting to the other poster who feels like McPhail fleeced the Cubs for Trachsel that is definitely not true either.

Yeah, it wasnt a fleecing, but it was a good first move by MacPhail.

Yeah, it wasnt a fleecing, but it was a good first move by MacPhail.

I agree with you and I think that it could be much worse if yall just gave Moore a little PT. You think he will start in the minors? THe reason I ask is becasue i am in a conundrum in my fantasy league where I have Evan Longoria and I need a 3B and I think Moore could be alright for a month or two.

Honestly, I'm probably in the minority here, but I think Roberts likes it here and would be willing to extend. Especially if we show him that we're moving in the right direction, and I do believe we are.
That's why I asked I really don't know the anwser. You Oriole fans would know better than me.

The Cubs are as close to having a shot at the Series as they have been in our lifetimes. I don't know that I'd gamble on keeping some minor league prospects that could net me a top lead-off man in trade. When those prospects are ready, the Cubs other major pieces will be past their prime. Sure looks like the future is now for the Cubs to me.

Hendry listened to the fans who opposed giving up anything of value, and those same fans will hold him accountable come October, IMO.

As to whether Roberts decides to extend his contract between now and 2010, there's a lot that can happen between now and then. He may be traded elsewhere. The Orioles young pitchers may come along nicely and he may see potential. The Orioles may win the Tex auction next off-season. Who knows? Fact is, the Orioles aren't the ones in sniffing distance of a pennant. Any decision McPhail makes is just not as critical at this point as those that Hendry makes.

I have to disagree Number5. The 2003 team was in the NLCS (I won't re-live those bad memories). The 2004 team was stacked and picked by many to win the World Series.

Also, I seriously doubt that Hendry listened to any fan during these negotiations and to imply he did is silly. That would be like saying AM listens to the fans when considering trades.

I have to disagree Number5. The 2003 team was in the NLCS (I won't re-live those bad memories). The 2004 team was stacked and picked by many to win the World Series.

Also, I seriously doubt that Hendry listened to any fan during these negotiations and to imply he did is silly. That would be like saying AM listens to the fans when considering trades.

That is true Hendry can't do business like that he wouldn't have a job for long. Why can't people just believe Hendry wouldn't give in to AM.

Archived