Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

So what do think is fair. If you think Roberts is going to get your anymore then that package you will be waiting a long time.

I understand your point.

But I don't want AM to get a fair deal - I want him to get the very best deal he can for BRob.

And if that means an unfair or "lop-sided" deal - then I'm all for it.

Of course, the best deal of all just might be keeping BRob!

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand your point.

But I don't want AM to get a fair deal - I want him to get the very best deal he can for BRob.

And if that means an unfair or "lop-sided" deal - then I'm all for it.

Of course, the best deal of all just might be keeping BRob!

Do you think teams are in buisness to give the Orioles a lopsided deal I don't think so.

They also have to look out for what's best for the franchise.

Teams are in business to win, last time I checked. The Cubs haven't realized that for 60+ years.
I agree with you your are in buisness to win. Which the Cubs are the last 5 years they have showed they want to win. It takes good ownership to do that but you should already know that.

Do you think teams are in buisness to give the Orioles a lopsided deal I don't think so.

They also have to look out for what's best for the franchise.

I agree.

If a team is unwilling to "overpay" when they are as close to having a real shot at the pennant as the Cubs seem to be, that team just isn't ready to grab the ring, IMO. The Yankees have "overpaid" many times over the years to land the piece they felt they needed. The proof's in the pudding.

Oddly, one of the biggest complaints I've seen by Cub fans about McPhail's time in Chicago was his apparent unwillingness to pull the trigger on spending the big bucks necessary to land top players in free agency, yet those same fans seem to feel that Hendry should not spend minor leaguers with mid-to-high ceilings when they could land a top lead-off guy.

I guess there are different views on what is best for the franchise. It just seems to me that doing what it takes to grab that ring is worth it given the Cubs' situation and history. I'm just not getting the priority of keeping a minor league prospect or two if they are what stands between landing a piece you think will give you that shot or not. If adding a Ceda or Colvin to the package would have gotten it done, I've got to believe that there will be a lot of second-guessing in Chicago if the Cubs don't win the pennant this year.

In any case, I'll be rooting for the Cubs in the NL.

Well if anyone knows depression, its a Cubs fan.
I agree but we are going in the right direction, 2 divisions in the last 5 years is a start. Cubs ownership has stepped up the last few years with are payroll being about 125 million and with the addition of Tim Wilken are farm system is really improving specially the last 2 drafts.

I agree.

If a team is unwilling to "overpay" when they are as close to having a real shot at the pennant as the Cubs seem to be, that team just isn't ready to grab the ring, IMO. The Yankees have "overpaid" many times over the years to land the piece they felt they needed. The proof's in the pudding.

Oddly, one of the biggest complaints I've seen by Cub fans about McPhail's time in Chicago was his apparent unwillingness to pull the trigger on spending the big bucks necessary to land top players in free agency, yet those same fans seem to feel that Hendry should not spend minor leaguers with mid-to-high ceilings when they could land a top lead-off guy.

I guess there are different views on what is best for the franchise. It just seems to me that doing what it takes to grab that ring is worth it given the Cubs' situation and history. I'm just not getting the priority of keeping a minor league prospect or two if they are what stands between landing a piece you think will give you that shot or not. If adding a Ceda or Colvin to the package would have gotten it done, I've got to believe that there will be a lot of second-guessing in Chicago if the Cubs don't win the pennant this year.

With or without Roberts the Mets will be the favorites in the NL.

There will be even more questions if he pays high and they do not make it. Hendry has to take a balanced approach.

I agree.

I am not one of them Cub fans the only guy I would consider untouchable is Pie he is are CF and is really playing well. I would give you guys Ceda or Colvin to get Roberts in a heart beat. But no one really knows what has been offered or not we can only speculate. The only ones who know are AM and Hendry.

If you guys think you are going to get a better offer for Roberts you are kidding yourself. The longer AM waits his levarage goes away. IMO Veal, Gallagher, Cedeno or Patterson or Marshall that's preety fair.

I don't know if it's a reading comprehension issue here or maybe you've been arguing on this thread for far too long, but no where did I claim we're getting a better offer for Roberts. I said simply that if I am a Cubs fan and am in a position to compete for a World Series, I would be pretty depressed with a middle infield of Theriot and DeRosa.

More depressing than keeping roberts for two year's of 5th straight finishes & no prospects to show for it? OK....gotcha.

A. There's a quote button which I've seen people point out to you before, yet you continue to ignore it.

B. I think if the offer was Gallagher/Veal/Cedeno/Patterson we should've pulled the trigger. I challenge you to find a post of mine that claims otherwise, or characterized the return as not enough.

C. If we did keep Roberts it is still possible that we move him before the deadline to a desperately close team.

D. If we do hold on to him we will get compensation picks when he leaves, which become prospects.

You reek of idiotic troll.

I agree.

A lot of people on this board have said they wouldn't trade Pie in the Roberts deal. And he is not a minor leaguer, he's going to be the Cubs opening day CF'er.

If you are talking about Ceda/Colvin/Veal, or some of the other minor leaguers, I don't think you will find too many who wouldn't trade 1 maybe 2 of them depending on the other players coming and going. So I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that assessment.

Honestly, I would have offered Gallagher, Cedeno, EPatt, and one of Colvin/Ceda/Veal. That's just me though, I know that's overpaying, but I'd like to see Hendry make a statement that they are doing everything they can to win it all this year.

A lot of people on this board have said they wouldn't trade Pie in the Roberts deal. And he is not a minor leaguer, he's going to be the Cubs opening day CF'er.

If you are talking about Ceda/Colvin/Veal, or some of the other minor leaguers, I don't think you will find too many who wouldn't trade 1 maybe 2 of them depending on the other players coming and going. So I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that assessment.

Honestly, I would have offered Gallagher, Cedeno, EPatt, and one of Colvin/Ceda/Veal. That's just me though, I know that's overpaying, but I'd like to see Hendry make a statement that they are doing everything they can to win it all this year.

Actually, it appears that you do agree with my assessment. I didn't mention Pie.

I was suggesting that if the 4th player were Ceda or Colvin, I believe it would have worked. Cedeno, Gallagher, Veal, and Ceda/Colvin. Is that overpaying? I don't know, maybe. The point is if Hendry believes that the Cubs have a better shot at returning to the playoffs and advancing in them with Roberts than without him and if whether the inclusion of a Ceda or Colvin as the fourth name in the package is the maker or breaker of the deal, is hanging on to Ceda or Colvin worth it? That's the real question, IMO.

Archived