Drum beat a little louder for Cubs deal

wildcard

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we do a deal with the Cubs I really hope the names are a little different than what we are talking about here. Jay Payton and his 5 million dollar deal are not a problem for a contending team looking for a RH hitting OFer who can play CF. Jason Marquis and his ridiculous contract are untradeable to anybody at anytime, anywhere in a stand alone deal. Any thoughts that we could trade him at the deadline are pipedreams. I would take Marquis back in this deal but only if the other players were exactly what I wanted. I am good with Gallagher/Ceda/Veal but I would have to get more than just Ronny Cedeno with them. Cedeno is nothing more than a throw in. If they make the deal Marquis/Gallagher/Veal/Ceda/Patterson and Cedeno OK. If its Marquis/Gallagher/Veal/Ceda/Murton and Cedeno and I am all in.

Why not?

We have heard the Veal, Ceda, Cedeno and Gallagher for BRob rumors lately.

Why not Payton for EPat?

I just don't see that happening. I would think the 5 for 2 would be Veal, Cedeno, Gallagher, Marquis, Ceda or EPatt for BRob/Payton. But that is just how I see it.

For what it's worth, there appears to be a fly in the ointment regarding the supposed Cubs trade scenario. Cedeno had arm problems early in camp and now has a strained hammy. Has played very little. Piniella says that may give Cedeno trouble making the club.

Perhaps that along with the fact that he's played poorly when he has played is one reason things are dragging on... MacPhail liked Cedeno and wanted him to be part of the deal, but his value is falling, particularly since he's out of options so the Cubs will have to waive him if he doesn't make the club.

Perhaps that along with the fact that he's played poorly when he has played is one reason things are dragging on... MacPhail liked Cedeno and wanted him to be part of the deal, but his value is falling, particularly since he's out of options so the Cubs will have to waive him if he doesn't make the club.

I would say that this solely is why this deal may be on hold. I doubt MacPhail is basing Cedeno's worth on spring training, but if he can get him off waivers instead of in a deal for Roberts, why the heck not?

I would say that this solely is why this deal may be on hold. I doubt MacPhail is basing Cedeno's worth on spring training, but if he can get him off waivers instead of in a deal for Roberts, why the heck not?

This makes sense and doesnt at the same time.

If we wait to determine whether Cedeno gets waived, it could be right before Opening Day, which would be a bad time to make a trade.

Not if he is injuried. They will DL him.

I just don't see that happening. I would think the 5 for 2 would be Veal, Cedeno, Gallagher, Marquis, Ceda or EPatt for BRob/Payton. But that is just how I see it.

I am really failing to see the logic here.

You are acting as if these 2 are the same and you can't get both of them.

Marquis may end up being the 5th player...That wouldn't surprise me because AM seems obsessed with getting another vet starter, whether they are any good or not.

However, its not a slam dunk by any means that Marquis is the 5th player.

And i can definitely see the Cubs trading EPat for Payton....Basically, that is all EPat is worth...Some kind of role player.

Why not?

We have heard the Veal, Ceda, Cedeno and Gallagher for BRob rumors lately.

Why not Payton for EPat?

EPat is worth more than Payton (at least at full salary). However, Cedeno's trade value is getting down to zero as he becomes more and more likely to be waived, so essentially that deal would be getting four players of moderate value for Roberts and then each side throwing in one with little to no value that gives the other team a possible solution to a problem if they're lucky. I think that deal would be a much better idea than the O's picking up four pitchers and a big contract when both their major league roster and their system are virtually devoid of promising young infielders.

Marquis may end up being the 5th player...That wouldn't surprise me because AM seems obsessed with getting another vet starter, whether they are any good or not.

And i can definitely see the Cubs trading EPat for Payton....Basically, that is all EPat is worth...Some kind of role player.

I never said you can't get them both ... I am saying I don't see the Cubs giving up 5 young players for BRob/Payton. I think one of Veal/Ceda/EPatt is not going to be involved and Marquis is. Maybe I am wrong, but that is just the way I see it.

The Cubs will not take Payton's salary if the O's get back a prospect.

MacPhail wouldn't base his assessment of whether Cedeno could someday develop into a valuable player on spring training, but Cedeno's roster situation clearly has a major impact on what his market value is.

Archived