Matusz as starter?

doctorbj

I know this is an old question, but, given Wright soon (?) to come back, and Chen clearly going at season end, with no left handed starter left, except through unlikely trade or big signing--(and Norris not likely back)--

would it be worth the Orioles considering him as a starter at least for next season?

With Hunter Harvey very much a question mark, Bundy not even a question mark, and Mike Wright and Tyler Wilson not more than back end starters it appears, i am not sure we are as deep in starters as we think.

Hope that all makes sense.

Barry

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has a seemingly incurable problem of not being able to get right handed batters out. That can fly as a reliever, but that doesn't work as a starting pitching when the majority of the league hits right handed, and any smart manager would stack their lineup with right handed hitters whenever Matusz would start. For his career RHB hit over 100 points better against him than LHB, and although he's been "better" this year compared to previous years in that area, barring a miraculous adjustment in pitch arsenal and execution, there's little reason to expect more of the same. The better proposal would be to move Britton to the rotation, although I'm adverse to doing that myself.

Good point about the lack of LHP after Chen. Still, it would be great to have a LHP to match up against teams like TEX and NYY, but not if it means running a guy like Matusz out there. He has struggled against RH bats consistently throughout his career. The only utility he has is the role he is in now, LOOGY in high leverage situations and otherwise in long relief.

Also, I don't know why you are dismissing Tyler Wilson and Zach Davies. Wilson has done nothing but win ballgames at every level, including a small sample in MLB this year. Davies also looks very promising.

Honestly, I would rather try TJ McFarland, or maybe even Chris Jones, than Matusz.

Starter Jimenez, Gonzalez, Tillman, Gausman and Wilson are all ahead of him now when looking at next year. By the end of the season Davies may also be ahead on him.

His salary as a reliever probably makes him a non tender candidate this fall.

I know this is an old question, but, given Wright soon (?) to come back, and Chen clearly going at season end, with no left handed starter left, except through unlikely trade or big signing--(and Norris not likely back)--

would it be worth the Orioles considering him as a starter at least for next season?

With Hunter Harvey very much a question mark, Bundy not even a question mark, and Mike Wright and Tyler Wilson not more than back end starters it appears, i am not sure we are as deep in starters as we think.

Hope that all makes sense.

Barry

No to Brian being a starter. IMO

Archived