Duquette - "We'll be active on the trade front." (Buyers)

TonySoprano

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See that is the scout coming out in you. Are you trying to say scouts never misjudge guys? Because if they never do then signing more guys makes no sense. If scouts do make mistakes and you see projection with in that player then drafting more guys on a yearly basis makes sense.

Scouts often have imprecise evaluations. I'd say it's rare that the industry in the aggregate swings and misses on talent such that it sinks all the way into rounds 15-40 (particularly if it's signable).

My point (and I apologize for not making it well) is that additional signings skewing to the later rounds are unlikely to have any notable impact on the aggregate talent haul. I think signing 40 players is definitely better than 28 or 35 or 39. If those extra players are exclusively org guys it probably doesn't have any meaningful impact. If some of those guys are upside plays then it's a nice win.

I do, lots of burned money, but that's another topic and partly necessary. Dunno if 10 million is...

Not sure why you bring this up. My point was for DD to commit to one way or the other and trade what he could if he goes that way.

I bring it up because you said we are losing 10-11 players and that is not the case. And really we are only losing 4 impactful players. It isn't nearly as dramatic as saying we are losing 10-11 but it is more truthful.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Quite honestly, we don't have the ammunition to make a big move. We need to hope that our corner outfield players and the starting pitching can put it together the second half. I see our move as being a relief pitcher.

That's what i see. Here's hoping Chapman :):P

-I agree that there are some players, that will be FA's, that don't have any value.

-I understand that sometimes the Sup pick is better than the players you can get back.

-I understand what WAR is. Since the real world isn't black and white, as you put it, there are things that happen on the field that cannot be tracked by a stat. As a former minor league baseball player, I have a extensive knowledge of that fact. One of a million is mere presence in a lineup.

Feel free to continue to insult me and my baseball intelligence. The reality is my opinion is just as valuable as yours.

I agree that one man's opinion is no better than another man's. Drungo's argument, however, has been given much stronger support than yours. Sounds like you are probably a better baseball player than Drungo, but he has presented the stronger argument in this discussion, IMO.

I agree that one man's opinion is no better than another man's. Drungo's argument, however, has been given much stronger support than yours. Sounds like you are probably a better baseball player than Drungo, but he has presented the stronger argument in this discussion, IMO.

Thank you. I will concede that twinedenter was a far better ballplayer than I ever was, even if he just had a cup of coffee in a rookie league. But dismissal of standard tools and techniques with an "I played the game" statement isn't going to cut it. There are many very smart players, but a player doesn't have to have any kind of analytical knowledge, any more than an actor would have to know how to design a projector or write special effects code.

Please don't talk WAR with me. That stat is foolish. Example, Ryan Braun, is about a 1.8 WAR this year right? Well, Ryan Braun makes Adam Jones a FAR better player if he hits behind him. I don't buy that stat. Ryan Braun wins this team 5 games ALONE on mere presence.

Yeah, this is nonsense.

What a difference two days make in the hot stove talks. 12 days until the deadline. Here's a list of players that that would be good fits. In terms of need, salary, and how much it would take to acquire them.

1. Ben Zobrist S- Perfect fit for LF and leadoff. FA in 2016

2. David Murphy L- LF and leadoff. Team option for 2016

3. Gerardo Parra L- LF and leadoff. FA in 2016.

4. Josh Reddick L- LF and MOO. last year of arb in 2016.

5. Adam Lind- L- 1b/LF and MOO. Team option for 2016

6. Seth Smith- L- 1b/LF leadoff or MOO. Signed through 2016, w/2017 team option

7. Jay Bruce- L- LF MOO. signed through 2016 with 2017 team option

8. Ryan Raburn R- LF 2-7. Team option for 2016

9. Marlon Byrd R- LF MOO. Team option for 2016. Vesting option unlikely.

Personally I'm fine with trading some prospects because we're lookiing at possibly having as many as 8 picks in the top 75 of next years draft.

What a difference two days make in the hot stove talks. 12 days until the deadline. Here's a list of players that that would be good fits. In terms of need, salary, and how much it would take to acquire them.

1. Ben Zobrist S- Perfect fit for LF and leadoff. FA in 2016

2. David Murphy L- LF and leadoff. Team option for 2016

3. Gerardo Parra L- LF and leadoff. FA in 2016.

4. Josh Reddick L- LF and MOO. last year of arb in 2016.

5. Adam Lind- L- 1b/LF and MOO. Team option for 2016

6. Seth Smith- L- 1b/LF leadoff or MOO. Signed through 2016, w/2017 team option

7. Jay Bruce- L- LF MOO. signed through 2016 with 2017 team option

8. Ryan Raburn R- LF 2-7. Team option for 2016

9. Marlon Byrd R- LF MOO. Team option for 2016. Vesting option unlikely.

Personally I'm fine with trading some prospects because we're lookiing at possibly having as many as 8 picks in the top 75 of next years draft.

Good list. I think you should add Justin Upton and Cespedes.

What about Carlos Gomez? What do you guys think of him? Would they trade him? What would he realistically cost?

Perhaps. It's not like Milwaukee is going to be good anytime real soon. But would probably require at least one of Gausman/Harvey/Bundy plus another prospect (Cisco perhaps?). I'm not OK with that. We don't have a lot of prospects to spare.

DONT TRADE BUNDY! DONT TRADE BUNDY OR HARVEY! Not now anyway.

What are you hoping to get out of Bundy at this point? I think that kid's absolute ceiling at this point is late inning reliever. I'm fine with his elbow but that shoulder sounds bad.

Archived