Duquette - "We'll be active on the trade front." (Buyers)

TonySoprano

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's inconceivable (and yes, that word means what I think it means) that a good MLB team would go out and target a Rey Navarro or a Dariel Alvarez as the piece they need to make a run in September.

I could not have thought that they would. Not one time. Zero. I have no conception of what it would take to think that someone would.

I really wish that someone with an abundance of free time would attempt a system-wide comparison of the O's MiL talent to that of all the other ML teams. All this arguing about how tradeable/good certain players are/aren't by people who admittedly haven't tried to rate the O's MiLers alongside those of other teams is exhausting. And something verging on comprehensive would be super useful. My suspicion is that many (if not all) of the decent-but-not-great O's prospects mentioned ITT have clones in many (if not most) other systems.

My suspicion is that many (if not all) of the decent-but-not-great O's prospects mentioned ITT have clones in many (if not most) other systems.

There is essentially never a shortage of available talent in that vast swath of players between good AAA guys and below-average MLB guys. Basically every team has multiple someones like Rey Navarro and Pedro Borbon and TJ McFarland. The O's may have more than average, and certainly more than they did 10 years ago.

There is essentially never a shortage of available talent in that vast swath of players between good AAA guys and below-average MLB guys. Basically every team has multiple someones like Rey Navarro and Pedro Borbon and TJ McFarland. The O's may have more than average, and certainly more than they did 10 years ago.

10 years ago, those guys were on our yearbook cover.

Since we have no top prospects, it makes no sense to trade a few marginal prospects for a marginal major leaguer. Bottom line is that one or two of those prospects might exceed expectations and if they do, we need them. I say no to another Deza type move. If we had an Adam Jones type prospect like Seattle did at the time and we could get a stud for him, I'd be interested. But, we don't. So, I say guard the prospects and take our chances as is.

Since we have no top prospects, it makes no sense to trade a few marginal prospects for a marginal major leaguer. Bottom line is that one or two of those prospects might exceed expectations and if they do, we need them. I say no to another Deza type move. If we had an Adam Jones type prospect like Seattle did at the time and we could get a stud for him, I'd be interested. But, we don't. So, I say guard the prospects and take our chances as is.

What was wrong with either DeAza move? They traded minor league filler (maybe fringe major leaguers) to acquire him. And then flipped him for a much better piece than what they gave up to get him. If anything, the team should do more of it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

What was wrong with either DeAza move? They traded minor league filler (maybe fringe major leaguers) to acquire him. And then flipped him for a much better piece than what they gave up to get him. If anything, the team should do more of it.

DeAza stinks. We got very lucky to get a great month or two from him. I believe we are thin in the minors and shouldn't make that kind of move again. Much better chance one of the spare parts exceeds expectations than a guy like DeAza becomes a good player.

DeAza stinks. We got very lucky to get a great month or two from him. I believe we are thin in the minors and shouldn't make that kind of move again. Much better chance one of the spare parts exceeds expectations than a guy like DeAza becomes a good player.

They traded two guys that weren't even in the top 30 prospects. They were never going to reach the majors with Baltimore. It is the figurative definition of trading a bag of balls for a player. Those aren't spare parts. Those are things that stay in your grandmothers attic and get removed during an episode of Hoarders.

Sure you can argue we should have nontendered him over the winter but it was a good trade at the time.

They traded two guys that weren't even in the top 30 prospects. They were never going to reach the majors with Baltimore. It is the figurative definition of trading a bag of balls for a player. Those aren't spare parts. Those are things that stay in your grandmothers attic and get removed during an episode of Hoarders.

Sure you can argue we should have nontendered him over the winter but it was a good trade at the time.

I'm guarding against another Erod move. He was never going to make the majors until he did. Bottom line is that we need to grow the minors with the upcoming losses, not deplete them for the likes of DeAza.

I'm guarding against another Erod move. He was never going to make the majors until he did. Bottom line is that we need to grow the minors with the upcoming losses, not deplete them for the likes of DeAza.

Are you serious? ERod was a top 5 prospect. The guys they traded for DeAza were replaced with minor league free agents that were better.

And you are also ignoring the fact that they turned two non prospects with 1% chance to help in the majors into a prospect that has a much higher probability.

G

Sexy? I would love to see Kerry Washington in the orange and black:)

I am usually a strong supporter of "going for it" but after seeing some of DD's trades (losing Jake and Erod), I am gun shy to be honest. Plus, I tend to agree with you. We have pieces, just need to shift them around. I would love to see us get something of value for pieces that we will be losing anyways (Norris wont' get much but he isn't going to get us a draft pick now).

By Jake you mean Arrieta? Honestly you lose some real credibility if you are complaining about that move. Arrieta looked bad in three seasons here and needed at very least a change of scenery. I believe he was out of options also when he was dealt. Additionally he has benefited from pitching in the NL and likely different pitching coaches.

G

By Jake you mean Arrieta? Honestly you lose some real credibility if you are complaining about that move. Arrieta looked bad in three seasons here and needed at very least a change of scenery. I believe he was out of options also when he was dealt. Additionally he has benefited from pitching in the NL and likely different pitching coaches.

It was a horrific move. It is the GM's job to assemble staff in place to get the best from our players. If we have players that need a change of scenery to get better --- that's a big problem. Every trade that is evaluated -- Orioles and others -- examine the stats for the players involved post trade. That's the way it goes and the data speaks for itself.

It was a horrific move. It is the GM's job to assemble staff in place to get the best from our players. If we have players that need a change of scenery to get better --- that's a big problem. Every trade that is evaluated -- Orioles and others -- examine the stats for the players involved post trade. That's the way it goes and the data speaks for itself.

There are plenty of players that need a change of scenery. One way isn't going to work with everybody. And with Jake, it was mostly him. He decided to pitch different after he was traded. Eventually following the advice he had been given by Os coaches.

There are plenty of players that need a change of scenery. One way isn't going to work with everybody. And with Jake, it was mostly him. He decided to pitch different after he was traded. Eventually following the advice he had been given by Os coaches.

Sure, that was the team's justification of the trade. The data doesn't lie. JA has been a very good starter. Strop a good late inning reliever. Feldman was fine for a couple months. Bad trade.

If you refuse to use the data, I don't know how you evaluate any trade.

Archived