Is it wrong to boo the Yankees in a charity game?

DrungoHazewood

Or, to be more fair, they don't have an obligation to donate to it just because it's big news. I'm sure many people in the O's organization donate money to many worthwhile causes and if this wasn't one of them, there's no fault there.

Neither team is located in Virginia, and popular belief states that all Orioles fans in NVa--except for the few who post here--all went over to the Nats in 05...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, this is a great thing for Va Tech, the school, families, students, etc. It was also a nice gesture by the Yankees, but God how many times do the Yankees organization, announcers, players, etc have to pat themselves on the back throughout this game?

You don't pay much attention to the Yankee$, do you?

A day in the life of Hank $teinbrenner:

1) Take a dip in the pile of cash in the vault

2) Pat self on back

3) Make absurd, self-serving statement to press

4) Rinse, and repeat...endlessly

You don't pay much attention to the Yankee$, do you?

I try not too...;)

I like doing nice things for people, but I don't feel the need to tell everyone how great I am for doing them. Like I said, it was a great gesture from the Yankees...but I could have done without all of the self congratulating.

I don't know if any of you watch sportscenter, but they couldn't stop talking about it. I don't see how anyone can't see through this and tell what it really is: a chance for the MFY's to pat themselves on the back and have ESPN tell them how great and classy they are, when in reality they are anything but.

It seems clear that Hank is already and easily the most obnoxious owner in MLB and seems to be worse than his dad. However, he doesn't seem to have the business accumen of his dad which I think will be the MFY's undoing very soon.

I just got back from the game, and I think you're wrong about the Yanks just doing it for the media coverage. This idea was ironed out only weeks after the shootings here, when everyone was still reeling from what happened. I think it was a nice gesture, and though I wore my O's hat and VT shirt, I didnt boo the Yanks, but I sure did root hard for the Hokies. I also had a nice, but brief, conversation with Chris Britton and Jeff Karstens as they sat in the bullpen. I appreciated them coming and the money they gave and the time they spent, and I was suprised about how many of their big names were there to play, and almost everyone one of them spent a real long time signing autographs and taking pictures and everything like that. As someone who was forced to experience the shootings of April 16 and the aftermath firsthand, I can tell you, the last thing a student here wants is another media truck on our campus and all we want to do is move on and get back to normal, but I think the gestures made by the Yankees were kind as well as being good-natured, I dont think they were trying to just get more attention for themselves.

Some of the posts on this thread really make me wonder about people. Hate the Yankees on the field all you want, but this was a great gesture by all parties involved.

I agree with you that it was a great gesture, but if you watched the game and didn't think through interviews that they were constantly patting themselves on the back for what they were doing then I don't know what to say.

I agree with you that it was a great gesture, but if you watched the game and didn't think through interviews that they were constantly patting themselves on the back for what they were doing then I don't know what to say.

I did not watch it, so I can't honestly comment on that. But you know what, who cares. Everyone involved deserved a pat on the back. They did a nice thing with Virginia Tech, and looking for a reason to bring them down simply because we're "supposed" to hate them is a bit much in my opinion.

I did not watch it, so I can't honestly comment on that. But you know what, who cares. Everyone involved deserved a pat on the back. They did a nice thing with Virginia Tech, and looking for a reason to bring them down simply because we're "supposed" to hate them is a bit much in my opinion.

I agree they did a great thing and deserved a pat on the back but not from themselves. When you do a nice thing for someone do you gloat about how awesome you are for doing it? I doubt it.

I agree they did a great thing and deserved a pat on the back but not from themselves. When you do a nice thing for someone do you gloat about how awesome you are for doing it? I doubt it.

I didn't see the broadcast, but I know that some people's view on anything Yankees tends to be skewed,so who knows. I'm not disputing what you say, don't get me wrong. There is just no way of knowing from my perspective. Everything I've read on the subject online was very complimentary towards the Yankees and Virginia Tech.

To claim that the Yankees strictly did this for their own PR is completely absurd and insulting to anyone who was at all affected by the Virginia Tech massacre. Speaking in general terms, not to you ledzepp.

I didn't see the broadcast, but I know that some people's view on anything Yankees tends to be skewed,so who knows. I'm not disputing what you say, don't get me wrong. There is just no way of knowing from my perspective. Everything I've read on the subject online was very complimentary towards the Yankees and Virginia Tech.

To claim that the Yankees strictly did this for their own PR is completely absurd and insulting to anyone who was at all affected by the Virginia Tech massacre. Speaking in general terms, not to you ledzepp.

Definitely understand what you're saying Beaner. I don't think they did it just for publicity either. I just could have done without all of the "The Yankees are so classy" and "This just shows what kind organization the Yankees are". But whatever I guess...mountain out of a mole hill I guess.

Definitely understand what you're saying Beaner. I don't think they did it just for publicity either. I just could have done without all of the "The Yankees are so classy" and "This just shows what kind organization the Yankees are". But whatever I guess...mountain out of a mole hill I guess.

Fair enough. It will make me look at certain posts by certain posters a little different from now on. Hating the Yankees is one thing, and I understand that on the field. But some things are being taken a bit to far.

Archived