Maybe the tough roster decision will be to option Schoop

wildcard

There has been some speculation that he was initially hurt by a questionable slide.

Thanks but even so Gordo posted speculation as fact as he went down and out after the Napoli trip at first base officially.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look up Flaherty's stats at 2nd & compare them to Schoop's, they're about the same.

Flats has played 166 games @ 2nd, to Schoop's 136 games. Flats has a .991 fielding % & Schoop has a .987 %. Flats has 6 errors, Schoop has 8 errors (thought he had more, actually), Flats has 101 DP's, Schoop 99. Flats has also played 68 games @ 3rd, 46 games @ SS, 10 @ 1st & 26 games in either Right or Left. Schoop has played 17 games @ third.

Food for thought....or grist for the mill.....or stats for arguments.....

We don't need that many starters until the 25th we can easily slide a pitcher in the pen and have a 7 man rotation and also put Gonzo or Gausman in minors to get normal rest. We actually on need three starters from Thursday the 9th til the 24th.

Pearce was not very good there and we lost a ton of games during that experiment. I would not want to see him there as Plan A in the midst of a pennant race.

I don't get the upside of optioning Schoop or Flaherty just to keep Reimold. Jones is back. Alvarez is a phone call away. Snider brings most of what Reimold brings (high OBP, average defense and power) and does not have bad splits against LHP. Reimold is basically a bench RH bat, but so is Pearce.

To me, the upside of Schoop turning double plays and hitting the occasional 3-run bomb is higher than Reimold. I like Flaherty as a guy who can come in off the bench for defense at any position while playing matchups and resting guys who need it. A bench with Pearce and Flaherty would give you a ton of options for offense and defense.

Just think why keeping everyone in the O's organization is a smart move. Hardy, Schoop, Flaherty and Wieters all missed time with injuries in the 1st half. Manny, Wieters, Lough, Reimold missed time with injuries last year. Its a pretty good bet that the O's will have injuries to position players in the 2nd half. Optioning Schoop is about keeping the inventory of players. Schoop will be back when the first injury happens to a position player.

We need schoop back...his bat is important to this team

Buck sounds like he agrees but it not only Schoop's bat. Its his arm and glove also.

Optioning Schoop was a idea but it does not seem to be shared by Buck. And if that is true, Schoop will be back to stay on Monday.

Anyone saying schoop should be optioned is CRAZY. Mark my words

Jonathan is a future all star.

He has 3 hrs in 27 at bats this year in the majors. In the minors he has 4 hrs in 34 at bats. So he's got 7 hrs in 61 at bats so far this year. That's 50 hr pace people.

Flaherty has been a pleasant surprise but he's got three dingers all year.

I remember listening to the St Louis radio guys last year when they were in town and they were just raving about the pop in his bat.

We need schoop back...his bat is important to this team

And his glove.

It amazes me that Buckw ill send Chen down to A ball so he wont' face Toronto but he'll keep Flaherty starting over Schoop simply so we have more time to figure out who is #25 on the roster. C

WE just lost a run due to Flaherty.

Anyone saying schoop should be optioned is CRAZY. Mark my words

Jonathan is a future all star.

He has 3 hrs in 27 at bats this year in the majors. In the minors he has 4 hrs in 34 at bats. So he's got 7 hrs in 61 at bats so far this year. That's 50 hr pace people.

Flaherty has been a pleasant surprise but he's got three dingers all year.

I remember listening to the St Louis radio guys last year when they were in town and they were just raving about the pop in his bat.

Home runs don't make you an AS. It is highly unlikely Schoop is ever an AS but that doesn't take away from how important he is to this team.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Home runs don't make you an AS. It is highly unlikely Schoop is ever an AS but that doesn't take away from how important he is to this team.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I think Schoop could be a All-Star in the future.

Archived