[Orioles] possible trade candidates

Cheese Oriole

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem is, when Manny walks steals 2B, and 3B, with no outs, and the #'s 2,3, and 4 hitters can't put the ball in play, let alone get the run in.

This.

I don't think it would matter much if we swapped Manny to the #3 spot, he'd get on with 2 outs instead of 0.

The problem is, when Manny walks steals 2B, and 3B, with no outs, and the #'s 2,3, and 4 hitters can't put the ball in play, let alone get the run in.

Certainly frustrating. But even if you had three guys who K 33% of the time coming up there's only about a 3% chance that they will strike out consecutively. Maybe if you knew Manny was going to be doing a lot of leading off and stealing 2nd and third you could get a small benefit by batting Joe Sewell behind him.

Certainly frustrating. But even if you had three guys who K 33% of the time coming up there's only about a 3% chance that they will strike out consecutively. Maybe if you knew Manny was going to be doing a lot of leading off and stealing 2nd and third you could get a small benefit by batting Luke Sewell behind him.
It's simpler than that IMO. You can't tell me those three guys are so untalented that they can't shorten up their swing with 2 strikes and put the ball in play. Wieters does it a lot. They don't want to give up the chance of hitting a 5 R HR.

It's simpler than that IMO. You can't tell me those three guys are so untalented that they can't shorten up their swing with 2 strikes and put the ball in play. Wieters does it a lot. They don't want to give up the chance of hitting a 5 R HR.

I'm always cautious and skeptical when someone suggests that a person who is among the very, very best in the world should use some simple trick to make himself much better. Maybe Davis or Jones would be more productive doing what you say. Maybe they'd completely screw up their overall approach and be less productive overall. If it was generally much more productive for most or all players to shorten up and try to make contact with two strikes, yet few MLB hitters do that, that would appear to be a massive untapped resource that a smart team would long ago have exploited.

Except for hitters in a slump, and sometimes moving them down in the order, helps them break out.

Or, if you have an established MLB hitter in a slump eventually he's going to break out. Moving him down in the order may have correlation to that break out, but was in no way causal.

I know they didn't make the playoffs last year but we saw the Yankees take on some money-I know they have all they need- and made some July trades. Considering our system how much money are the Orioles going to willing to take on? The more I watch this team the more I think we need another legit bat and the sooner the better. We can platoon Pearce and Snider or play the hot hand but we need another piece. In 2013 we were hoping for an impact from Uruttia and we all saw how that worked out. Valencia was one of our better hitters in September that year.

Or, if you have an established MLB hitter in a slump eventually he's going to break out. Moving him down in the order may have correlation to that break out, but was in no way causal.

True,

But, the place in the order, does have SOME bearing.

Buck was quoted about Reimold leading off and putting Manny back in the 2 hole, when Reimold was activated and he said he didn't want to put pressure on Nolan by doing that.

True,

But, the place in the order, does have SOME bearing.

Buck was quoted about Reimold leading off and putting Manny back in the 2 hole, when Reimold was activated and he said he didn't want to put pressure on Nolan by doing that.

Yes, the lineup does have SOME bearing on production. Like, if you batted JJ Hardy leadoff, David Lough cleanup, and Manny 9th for 150 games you might cost the O's 15 runs or so, or maybe a 1/10th of a run a game.

This scenario has occurred exactly one time this season. I wouldn't call it an ongoing problem.

This scenario has occurred exactly one time this season. I wouldn't call it an ongoing problem.
Runners in scoring position with no outs and a failure to make even a productive out, happens too frequently IMO. I think there is an unwillingness to give up the 5 R HR.

Archived